Department of Residential Life records
The collection consists of guides for moving on campus, living in residence dorms, and housing options. The collection is unprocessed. Northeastern University opened its first dormitory at 428 Marlborough St. in 1950. By 1967, Northeastern University had opened nine new residence halls, housing over 2,000 students; by 2001, over 4,100 students lived in Northeastern University resident halls. Northeastern University's Department of Residential Life was created in 1962 as the Office of Student Housing. It became known as the Department of Residential Life in 1987. The office was headed by both a dean of men and a dean of women until 1970, when it was replaced by a director of student housing, reflecting student pressure for co-ed dorms. Until 1993, the department operated as three separate offices, the Office of the Director (Administrative and Technical Services), Student Life, and Facilities and Operations. In 1993, the offices were integrated at 4 Speare Place. Accessioned 2013 Feb 27. Material from Vertical file. Add to A49. 47/1
Records are restricted for 25 years from their date of creation, unless researchers have written permission form the creating office.
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.
0.15 cubic feet (0.15 cubic feet in 1 half-manuscript box.)