Skip to main content

School of Education records

 Unprocessed
Identifier: Z16-012

Content Description

Northeastern University's College of Education was formed in 1953 as a result of the growing need for elementary and secondary school educators in the United States. By 1967, it employed 22 faculty members and included five specialized departments. Enrollment in the College of Education peaked in 1970 with over 1,300 undergraduate and 1,001 graduate students and 55 full-time faculty members. In 1980, responding to a decline in enrollment and a decreased need for teachers, the College of Education merged with Boston-Bouvé College forming the Boston-Bouvé College of Human Development Professions. In 1992, the education department moved to the College of Arts and Sciences and, in 1999, was renamed the School of Education. In the early 2000s, the graduate programs of the School moved to the College of Professional Studies. The collection consists of brochures, reports, surveys, and newspaper clippings related to the College of Education. The collection is unprocessed. 46/4 Accessioned 2015 Jul 06.

Restrictions Apply

No

Access Restrictions

Records are closed for 25 years from their date of creation, unless researchers have written permission from the creating office.

Use Restrictions

Requests for permission to publish from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.

Dates

  • 1998-2004

Extent

0.15 cubic feet (0.15 cubic feet in 1 half-manuscript box.)