Division of Cooperative Education records
The collection consists of information booklets, essays, brochures, calendars, and flyers from the Division of Cooperative Education at Northeastern University. The collection is unprocessed. Northeastern University has been a leader in national and international cooperative education from the inception of its cooperative education program in 1909. The program was initially confined to the college of engineering, yet the concept expanded to other departments including Business, Liberal Arts, and Education. In 1928 a separate Department of Cooperative Work was established with Winthrop E. Nightingale as director. In 1959 the department was renamed the Department of Cooperative Education, and by 1965 it was transformed into the Division of Cooperative Education. The Division was comprised of three units: the Department of Cooperative Education, the Department of Graduate Placement, and the Center for Cooperative Education. Over the years, the Division's role expanded as other programs were added, such as the Cooperative Education Research Center and the International Cooperative Education program.The Division of Cooperative Education was dissolved in 2007 and replaced by an organizational structure in which Cooperative Education placements are handled by each of the individual Colleges with some functions carried on by Central Cooperative Education Services (“Central Co–op”). Accessioned 2013 Feb 26. Material from Vertical file. Add to A16. 47/1
Records are closed for 25 years from their date of creation, unless researchers have written permission from the creating office.
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.
- ca. 1970-2008
1 Cubic Feet (1 cubic foot in 1 record center carton.)