College of Arts and Sciences records
The collection contains budgets for the College of Arts and Sciences, broken down by departments, for the years 1978-2009. The collection is unprocessed. The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is one of the Basic Day Colleges that makes up Northeastern University (NU). It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in the arts, humanities, social sciences, mathematics, and natural sciences. Headed by a dean, CAS is organized by academic department, interdisciplinary program, or center for specialized study. The dean has responsibility for managing educational policy, faculty issues, student services, and budgeting, and often delegates these functions to committees and his staff, including associate deans, assistant deans, directors, and student advisors. The CAS dean reports to the provost. The School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) was established in 1935 to offer general education for NU undergraduate business and engineering students. In 1936, its name was changed to the College of Liberal Arts (CLA). Even as CLA added faculty and developed new departments, majors, and courses in subsequent decades, it continued primarily to serve NU's professional disciplines. In 1978, Richard Astro was appointed dean of CLA. The College of Liberal Arts changed its name to the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) in 1979. Under Astro, CAS programs, including the humanities and fine arts, were strengthened, and several interdisciplinary programs, centers, and options for academic majors and minors were added. Under Dean Robert Lowndes, who became dean of CAS in 1987, CAS achieved independent prominence within NU and increasing national respect. By 1989, CAS was the largest of NU's basic colleges. Accessioned 2016 Jun 30. Add to A23. 45/1
Records are closed for 25 years from their date of creation, unless researchers have written permission from the creating office.
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.
2.50 cubic feet (2.50 cubic feet in 3 record center cartons.)