School of Law course notes
The collection consists of typed course notes from two 1922 classes at the Northeastern University School of Law, Contracts (Revised), and Personal Property. The collection is unprocessed. Northeastern University School of Law, the first evening law program in Boston, was founded in 1898 as a series of evening courses offered by the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA). These courses were introduced by Frank Palmer Speare, the Educational Director of the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA, and later, the first president of Northeastern University. The Evening School of Law, which attracted students who worked during the day and who could not afford tuition to other law schools, offered 200 hours of instruction, combining lectures and the case study method. In 1922, the first women law students were admitted into the program; in the same year, the school was renamed Northeastern University School of Law; and because of the increase in student enrollment, divisional campuses of the School of Law were established in Worcester and Springfield in 1917 and in Providence in 1920. In 1953, the Board of Trustees of Northeastern University decided to close the School of Law, shifting its educational efforts and financial expenditures to other academic programs. After raising more than $500,000 in a year and a half, the Board of Trustees officially announced the reopening of the School of Law on May 13, 1966. Accessioned 2010 May 24. Compare to M3 (Emma Jean Lang Avery). If duplicates, toss; if not, add to A9. Finding aid will have to be updated. 47/1
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.
0.15 cubic feet (0.15 cubic feet in 1 half-manuscript box.)