Boston Globe Library
Eben Jordan, founder of the retail store Jordan Marsh was one of six Boston businessmen who started The Boston Globe in 1872. The first issue of the Globe was published on March 4, 1872. The Globe library opened in May 1887. Its collection consisted of eight boxes of clippings that had been filed since 1881. It was popularly referred to as the “morgue”. In 2017, the Globe closed their Morrissey Boulevard location moving their offices to 53 State Street, Boston, MA and printing operations to Taunton, MA. At this time, the library’s photograph and clipping collections were donated to Northeastern University. The library consists of photographs (Boston, People, Sports, and Subjects), photograph negatives, clippings (Boston, Byline, Obit, People), City of Boston directories, and local and regional maps.
Gift Lisa Tuite. 2017 June 20.
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.
- circa 1887-1995
- Globe Newspaper Co (Organization)
4361.10 cubic feet (4288 boxes)