Record Group Term
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Northeastern University (NU) opened its first dormitory at 428 Marlborough St. in 1950. By 1967, NU had opened nine new residence halls, housing over 2,000 students; by 2001, over 4,100 students lived in NU resident halls. NU's Department of Residential Life was created in 1962 as the Office of Student Housing. It became known as the Department of Residential Life in 1987. The office was headed by both a dean of men and a dean of women until 1970, when it was replaced by a director of...
Overview The Division of Student Affairs was originally known as the Office of the Dean of Students. In the 1950s, the office comprised a dean of freshmen, dean of women, and dean of men. In 1970, the Office of Dean of Students was reorganized into the Division of Student Affairs, and many of the tasks that had originally been handled directly by the dean and his assistants were separated into departments that reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs. Among these services were counseling and...
Dates: 1933-2008 (bulk 1965-1985)
Overview Since its founding in 1896, Northeastern University has expanded its campus from a few buildings on Huntington Avenue to a sprawling campus. After initially renting space in the Botolph Building and the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA), the University built its first building, Richards Hall, in 1939, and continued to grow from there. A push towards building dormitory spaces in the 1960s helped to transform the University from a commuter college to a residential college. At the...
Dates: 1855-2006 (bulk 1955-1970)
Collection — Box 9: [39358015557447,TRF119712525]
Overview In 1982, Vice President John A. Curry reorganized the existing Office of Community Development into the Office of Community Affairs. Placed under the direction of Joseph D. Warren, the Office of Community Affairs' primary mission was to respond to the concerns of Northeastern University's neighbors. Additionally, the office administered several community outreach programs, such as the annual Thanksgiving food and Christmas toy drives and a scholarship program for Boston Housing Authority...
Dates: 1967-1989 (bulk 1982-1989)
Overview Northeastern University's Office of Planning was established in 1959. Since 1982 it has been known as the Office of Physical Planning and Design. The Office is concerned with the design and expansion of Northeastern University's physical campus and buildings, and space planning for educational programs. Prior to 1959, the Building Committee and other special committees of the Board of Trustees handled Northeastern University's physical expansion.
Dates: 1903-1997 (bulk 1960-1987)
Overview John A. Curry (JAC), the fifth president of NU from 1989 to 1996, was involved with NU as an alumnus and administrator for 25 years before his inauguration. During JAC's tenure as president, NU faced drastic budget cuts due to a dramatic decline in enrollment. He streamlined operations by laying off nearly 200 employees, creating a leaner upper administration, freezing wages and hiring, merging programs, restructuring debt, and creating revenue-generating initiatives, which enabled him to...
Dates: 1967-2002 (bulk 1989-1995)