Record Group Term
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) College of Computer Science (CCS) was the first college in the United States devoted exclusively to computer science. Despite the vigorous protest of NU's engineering faculty, NU's Faculty Senate resolved to establish the CCS in April 1982, and the Board of Trustees approved the CCS in June 1982. The CCS linked the theoretical approaches taught in the Dept. of Mathematics in the College of Arts and Sciences with the practical approaches taught in the College of...
Overview The Office of Educational Opportunity Programs and Service-Learning (OEOP/SL) at Northeastern University (NU) was established in the 1993-94 academic year. Holly M. Carter, whose career at NU began in 1973, became dean of the OEOP/SL. The OEOP/SL was charged with: 1) coordinating University-wide community service-learning initiatives; 2) serving as a clearinghouse for internal and external community service-learning resources and information; 3) developing initiatives in community...
Overview John A. Curry (JAC), the fifth president of NU from 1989 to 1996, was involved with NU as an alumnus and administrator for 25 years before his inauguration. During JAC's tenure as president, NU faced drastic budget cuts due to a dramatic decline in enrollment. He streamlined operations by laying off nearly 200 employees, creating a leaner upper administration, freezing wages and hiring, merging programs, restructuring debt, and creating revenue-generating initiatives, which enabled him to...
Dates: 1967-2002 (bulk 1989-1995)
Overview Frank Palmer Speare (FPS) was named the Educational Director of the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA in 1896. He transformed the loosely organized school into an institute for higher learning that eventually became Northeastern University (NU). He oversaw the launching of several of NU's early schools: the evening law school, the now-defunct automobile school, the evening polytechnic schools, the school of commerce and finance, and the co-operative engineering school. In 1916 the Evening...