Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Archives/1. Administrative

 Record Group Term
Identifier: Archives/1

Found in 123 Collections and/or Records:

Facilities Division records

 Collection
Identifier: A094
Overview Since its founding in 1896, Northeastern University has expanded its campus from a few buildings on Huntington Avenue to a sprawling campus. After initially renting space in the Botolph Building and the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA), the University built its first building, Richards Hall, in 1939, and continued to grow from there. A push towards building dormitory spaces in the 1960s helped to transform the University from a commuter college to a residential college. At the...
Dates: 1855-2006 (bulk 1955-1970)

Faculty Senate records

 Collection
Identifier: A035
Overview Northeastern University's Faculty Senate was formed in 1961 by President Asa S. Knowles as an advisory and review body that would involve the faculty in administering the university. The Faculty Senate originally consisted of 24 faculty members representing the academic colleges, the provost, and seven members of the administrative faculty appointed by the president. The provost serves as chair. The Faculty Senate initially included three standing committees: Agenda, Academic and Research...
Dates: 1940-2004 (bulk 1961-1997)

Faculty Wives records

 Collection
Identifier: A005
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) Faculty Wives was formed in 1941 to promote social contact among the wives of the university's rapidly expanding faculty. Etta Ell, the wife of NU's second president, Carl Ell, founded Faculty Wives. The organization sponsored back-to-school celebrations, holiday fund-raising parties, and spring luncheons. Money received from fund-raising activities supported student scholarships, building funds, and campus improvement activities. The Faculty Wives disbanded in...
Dates: 1941-1971

Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists records

 Collection
Identifier: A079
Overview The Forsyth family of Roxbury, Massachusetts, founded the Forsyth Dental Infirmary for Children in 1910. Recognizing that oral hygiene was a key factor in controlling dental disease, the family established The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists in 1916. In 1948, the school entered into an affiliation with Tufts University. In 1962, it became affiliated with Northeastern University, and in September 1963, the first class was admitted. The Northeastern-Forsyth partnership offered dental hygiene...
Dates: 1962-1992

Holocaust Awareness Committee records

 Collection
Identifier: A067
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) Holocaust Awareness Committee (HAC) was organized in 1991 and is affiliated with the NU Office of Spiritual Life. Prior to HAC's organization in 1991, NU had an annual Holocaust Remembrance Week, which was organized by the Office of Religious Life (later renamed the Office of Spiritual Life) between 1977 and 1991. Membership includes NU students, faculty, and staff of various religious and ethnic backgrounds. The HAC's primary purpose is to remember the...
Dates: 1984-2010 (bulk 1991-1999)

Human Resources Management records

 Collection
Identifier: A109
Overview Human Resource Management aims "to attract, reward and retain a high-quality faculty and staff to meet the university's educational mission." The office is responsible for the university's compensation and benefits programs, employment and employee relations, human resources information systems, and training and development programs for the university community.

Dates: 1963-2005 (bulk 1967-1995)

Hus-skiers and Outing Club records

 Collection
Identifier: A048
Overview In December 1941, William W. Robinson and Gordon H. Brown began a ski club at Northeastern University known as the Hus-skiers. Over the years, the Hus-skiers became more involved in other outdoor activities, and "Outing Club" was added to the group's name. In 1971, the club built the Brown Memorial Lodge in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The club usually maintains a membership of about 200 undergraduates, 30 of which are considered active members. There is also a loosely organized Alumni...
Dates: 1942-1998

Huskiana collection

 Collection
Identifier: A020
Overview In 1927, Northeastern University (NU) first adopted its mascot, a Siberian Husky named King Husky I. After King Husky I's death in 1941, Northeastern developed a 20-year relationship with Chinook Kennels in Wonalancet, New Hampshire, which provided the next seven mascots. In 1958, the kennel closed and the administration chose to commission a husky statue rather than continue the tradition of the live mascots. The statue was completed in 1962 by Anne Philbrick Hall, a sculpter under contract...
Dates: 1927-1992

Inaugural Committee records

 Collection
Identifier: A027
Overview Northeastern University's Inaugural Committee organizes and manages the induction ceremony of University presidents. There have been six presidential inaugurations in the history of Northeastern: 30 March 1917 - Frank Palmer Speare; 19 November 1940 - Carl Stephens Ell; 8 September 1959 - Asa Smallidge Knowles; 28 October 1975 - Kenneth Gilmore Ryder; 1 December 1989 - John Anthony Curry ; 17 January 1997 - Richard Middleton Freeland.

Dates: 1959-1997

Institute of Taxation records

 Collection
Identifier: A057
Overview The Institute of Taxation (IT) existed ca. 1955-1965 under the auspices of the Northeastern University College of Business Administration, with ties to the Division of Continuing Education. In the 1950s and 1960s, IT presented a series of tax forums as an opportunity for continuing education for local tax professionals. The Federal Tax Forums and Federal Tax Institutes were presented in conjunction with the professional accounting societies of New England. The Massachusetts Tax Forums were...
Dates: 1955-1965