Record Group Term
Found in 123 Collections and/or Records:
Overview On April 30, 1920, delegates from the three fraternities (Beta Gamma Epsilon, Alpha Kappa Sigma, and Eta Tau Nu) on Northeastern University's campus joined together to form the Pan-Hellenic Council. Renamed the InterFraternity Council on October 26, 1921, the InterFraternity Council began as a representative body composed of two men from each fraternity. Currently, an unlimited number of members from each fraternity may serve on the council. The objectives of the InterFraternity Council are to...
Dates: 1963-1998 (bulk 1963-1975)
Overview During the 1970's, Northeastern University worked to make the University more a part of the international community. Many students held coop jobs in foreign countries and Northeastern University staff went abroad to recruit, teach or conduct research. In addition, Northeastern experienced an increase in international student enrollment. Because of the increasing number of international students, the Office of Student Affairs employed a Foreign Student Advisor and expanded services, the goal of...
Overview The Lowell Institute School was founded at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1903 as the School for Industrial Foremen. It provided low-cost, continuing education to industrial foremen seeking to enhance their professional skills. The school offered two tuition-free evening programs: the Mechanical Course and the Electrical Course. Over time, the school's admission standards became more rigorous and its curriculum expanded, but it continued to offer two-year programs in mechanical...
Overview In 1967, the Marine Science Center, then the Marine Science Institute, was founded in order to provide space for master and doctoral level students and visiting scientists to conduct research in ocean chemistry, water quality, and pollution. The Marine Science Center (MSC), located in Nahant, opened on October 29, 1969 as the David F. and Edna F. Edwards Marine Science Laboratory. Renamed in 1982 as the Marine Science and Maritime Studies Center, MSC refocused on marine ecology, behavior,...
Dates: 1946-2006 (bulk 1966-1993)
Overview Northeastern Records was founded in 1979 and remained at Northeastern University until 1988. The classical music label focused on producing recordings by women and New England composers, and on utilizing musicians and singers from the Boston area. The ownership of Northeastern Records was transferred to its director, Lynn Joiner, in 1988.
Overview The Music at Noon Concert Series at Northeastern University began in 1962 to allow students to perform music informally in front of an audience. It was initiated by Professor Roland Nadeau, then Chairman of the Music Department. In 1964, Professor Tesson took over the program and expanded it to include a wide variety of music. In 1968, Northeastern University formally adopted a budget for the Music at Noon program, thus allowing it to host concerts by professional musicians as well as student...
Overview The Division of Academic Computing began in 1987 as a continuation of the academic computer services initiated by Dr. Knowles in 1959 with the purchase of the University's first computer and the establishment of the Computation Center, a support service for the research and teaching needs of faculty, research personnel, graduate students and some undergraduates. In 1981, the Computation Center was reorganized to reflect its growing importance. Its name changed to Academic Computer Services...
Overview The collection contains negatives of Northeastern University events, buildings, campus, and individuals, taken by Jet Commercial Photographers, between 1959 and 2007. The NU Visual Collection contains positive prints of some negatives. The negatives are organized chronologically and numerically according to unique ID numbers given to each photo session. Negative sleeves are labeled with dates and brief descriptions of the content of the negatives. A detailed index of the contents of each box is...
Overview Negatives and contact sheets from Northeastern University's Athletics Programs from 1959-2004.
Overview This collection comprises artifacts that were either presented to or created by Northeastern University (NU), including items such as awards, flags, banners, medals, clothing, paperweights, coasters, pins, dishware, figurines, and jewelry. Some of the items have links to particular individuals or groups; others are representative of NU as a whole. Of special interest is a class sweater worn by a member of the Class of 1926. (The NU Photograph Collection contains photographs of a freshman class...