Record Group Term
Found in 133 Collections and/or Records:
Office of Physical Planning and Design records
Overview Northeastern University's Office of Planning was established in 1959. Since 1982 it has been known as the Office of Physical Planning and Design. The Office is concerned with the design and expansion of Northeastern University's physical campus and buildings, and space planning for educational programs. Prior to 1959, the Building Committee and other special committees of the Board of Trustees handled Northeastern University's physical expansion.
Dates: 1903-1997 (bulk 1960-1987)
Office of Public Relations scrapbooks
Overview Compiled by Northeastern University's Office of Public Relations, the scrapbooks consist entirely of newspaper clippings, mostly from Boston and regional newspapers, concerning news items related to or involving Northeastern University and its faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
Office of Technology Innovation and Commercialization records
Overview The Office of Technology Innovation and Commercialization, formerly known as the Division of Technology Transfer, was formed as the result of a task force commissioned by President Richard M. Freeland in 1997. The findings of the task force emphasized the importance of research, technology transfer, and intellectual property control to "augment the intellectual contribution and stature of the University." In July 1999, the Division of Technology Transfer was created to "promote university...
Office of the Business Manager records
Overview The Office of Financial Officer for Northeastern University was created in 1950. Lincoln C. Bateson, the first Financial Officer, was responsible for tuition, taxes, audits, budgets, and salaries. The position title was changed in the 1960s to Vice President-Finance. When Bateson retired in 1974, the two vice presidential posts were merged and Daniel J. Roberts became the joint Vice President-Business/Finance. In 1990, the Vice President-Finance position was seen as no longer necessary, so it...
Office of the Executive Vice President records
Overview In the mid-1960s, Northeastern University (NU) president Asa Knowles initiated a major administrative reorganization, including a change in the by-laws to allow for more than one vice president. In September 1966, Knowles asked the Board of Trustees to approve the appointment of William C. White, then Vice President and Provost, to the position of Executive Vice President. The Office of Executive Vice President was not created to fill a particular administrative role. Subsequent executive vice...
Office of the President (Curry) records
Overview John A. Curry (JAC), the fifth president of NU from 1989 to 1996, was involved with NU as an alumnus and administrator for 25 years before his inauguration. During JAC's tenure as president, NU faced drastic budget cuts due to a dramatic decline in enrollment. He streamlined operations by laying off nearly 200 employees, creating a leaner upper administration, freezing wages and hiring, merging programs, restructuring debt, and creating revenue-generating initiatives, which enabled him to...
Dates: 1967-2002 (bulk 1989-1995)
Office of the President (Ell) records
Overview Carl Stephens Ell (CSE) was the second president of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. During his tenure as President, CSE was responsible for the accreditation of several of NU's academic programs and the rapid expansion of the physical plant. His other positions at NU included instructor at the Co-operative School of Engineering of the Boston YMCA (1910-1912), Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1912-1917), Assistant Dean of the School of Engineering (1914-1917), Dean of the...
Office of the President (Knowles) records
Overview Asa Smallidge Knowles (ASK) was the third president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1959 to 1975. Under ASK's leadership, NU expanded its academic offerings, and all of its programs were accredited. Enrollment doubled, and the number of resident students increased dramatically. NU's physical plant grew to include five campuses, and its financial assets experienced significant growth. Between 1967 and 1972, NU faced various student protests concerning student rights, the Black Power...
Office of the President (Ryder) records
Overview Kenneth Gilmore Ryder (KGR), the fourth president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1975 to 1989, began his career at NU in 1949 as an instructor of history and government. He was promoted to assistant professor in 1953 and to associate professor in 1956. In 1957, KGR gave up his teaching responsibilities to assume a succession of administrative positions: Dean of Administration (1958-1966), Vice President of University Administration (1967-1970), and Executive Vice President (1971-1975). In...
Office of the President (Speare) records
Overview Frank Palmer Speare (FPS) was named the Educational Director of the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA in 1896. He transformed the loosely organized school into an institute for higher learning that eventually became Northeastern University (NU). He oversaw the launching of several of NU's early schools: the evening law school, the now-defunct automobile school, the evening polytechnic schools, the school of commerce and finance, and the co-operative engineering school. In 1916 the Evening...