Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Archives/1. Administrative

 Record Group Term
Identifier: Archives/1

Found in 133 Collections and/or Records:

Student Government Association records.

 Collection
Identifier: A114
Overview The Student Council was created in 1921 as a vehicle for student participation in University affairs. It originally comprised the officers of the senior and junior classes, and the members of the Student Activities Committee which was also created in 1921. In the 1960s, the Council became more active as a mediating body between students and University administration, and it was involved in student implementation of draft resistance counseling, dissemination of abortion and birth control...
Dates: 1940-2008 (bulk 1980s-2000s)

Studies in American Fiction records

 Unprocessed
Identifier: Z10-017

Third World Views of the Holocaust records

 Collection
Identifier: A108
Overview Northeastern University established the Stotsky Professorship in Jewish Historical and Cultural Studies in 1991 from a gift by Dr. Bernard A. Stotsky. The professorship supports one faculty member from the College of Arts and Sciences to research broad ethical, cultural, and social issues arising from the Holocaust. During his term of appointment, July 1, 1998 through June 30, 2002, political science professor William F.S. Miles organized a symposium to discuss how the Holocaust has been...
Dates: April 18-20, 2001

Twenty-Five Year Associates records

 Collection
Identifier: A083
Overview In April 1955, President Carl S. Ell invited 46 members of the faculty and staff (active and retired) who had worked together at Northeastern for 25 years to lunch with him at Longwood Towers on May 3, 1955. This marked the first gathering of the group, which would later be formally titled the Twenty-Five-Year Associates. The group was founded "to maintain the close friendly relationships which have contributed to the welfare of the University and the happiness of the Northeastern family over...
Dates: 1967-1995 (bulk 1975-1992)

United States Bicentennial Committee records

 Collection
Identifier: A097
Overview The Northeastern University United States Bicentennial Committee was founded and chaired by Richard W. Bishop, Dean of University Relations, in 1974. In 1975, history professor William M. Fowler assumed the position of committee chair. Working as part of the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration's Bicentennial Colleges and Universities Campus Program, the Bicentennial Committee organized several events and exhibits, including an art exhibit, an exhibit showcasing Boston Red Sox...
Dates: 1968-1985 (bulk 1974-1976)

University College records

 Collection
Identifier: A050
Overview Northeastern's University College was founded in 1960. With an open admissions policy, its mission was to educate adult students with previous work experience, part-time students working toward an undergraduate degree, and full-time students who had varied scheduling requirements. Soon after its founding, the school began offering courses at satellite campuses. Enrollment was 4,000 in 1960, grew to 12,000 by 1975, peaked at 14,000 in 1980, and then declined to 10,700 in 1989 and 7,500 in 1996....
Dates: 1960-2005

University Honors Program records

 Collection
Identifier: A088
Overview The University Honors Program was established on a university-wide basis in 1986 in order to attract and retain the brightest students to Northeastern University. Honors students take several honors courses and have access to cultural events, conferences, internships, and other opportunities. To receive the College Honors Project Distinction (upon completion of the project) or the University Honors Program Distinction (upon completion of the project and six honors courses, including one honors...
Dates: 1981-2006 (bulk 1997-2005)

University Libraries records

 Collection
Identifier: A024
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) Libraries began as a small collection of books that comprised the library at the Berkeley Street YMCA. Myra White was appointed the first NU librarian in the mid-1930s. By 1953, NU had its own library building, Dodge Hall. Roland H. Moody became the first director of NU's library and led the library in a period of expansion and reorganization that reflected NU's educational aims; collection size more than doubled, staff and budgets grew, and the library engaged...
Dates: 1913-2012 (bulk 1970s-1990s)

Urban Schools Collaborative records

 Collection
Identifier: A070
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) role in the Urban Schools Collaborative began in August 1975 when U.S. District Court Judge W. Arthur Garrity, Jr. ordered the desegregation of Boston's schools. The Court mandate called for 21 universities to assist in providing equal educational opportunity for all Boston Public School children. Under NU President Asa S. Knowles, who chaired the first Steering Committee of the Phase II Desegregation effort, NU was paired with District 7 schools and the planned...
Dates: 1976-1992

Veterans Memorial Committee records

 Unprocessed
Identifier: Z10-030