Record Group Term
Found in 133 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Information Systems section of Northeastern's Office of Development is responsible for maintaining and processing data relevant to the University's alumni. It is also responsible for processing monetary gifts to the University. Throughout its history, and based on its varying responsibilities, Information Systems has been known as Alumni Records, Research, and Gift Information; Alumni Records; and Alumni Records & Directory.Northeastern's first Alumni Department opened in...
Overview The Disability Resource Center has its roots in a 1973 proposal from the Cooperative Education Research Center for a longitudinal study examining the effect the Cooperative Education Work Program had for the employability of students with disabilities. This proposal eventually turned into a three-year effort to make Northeastern University's campus physically accessible to students with disabilities. When funding ran out on this short-term project, a proposal was made to President Ryder for...
Dates: 1977-1999 (bulk 1980-1992)
Overview Northeastern University has been a leader in national and international cooperative education from the inception of its cooperative education program in 1909. The program was initially confined to the college of engineering, yet the concept expanded to other departments including Business, Liberal Arts, and Education. In 1928 a separate Department of Cooperative Work was established with Winthrop E. Nightingale as director.In 1959 the department was renamed the Department of...
Overview In 1909, Northeastern University (NU) became the second college in the nation to adopt a cooperative plan of education. In that year the Boston YMCA Evening Institute opened its Cooperative Engineering School, offering daytime programs. The cooperative program was later adopted by the Day School of Business, and the program continued to grow as new units were founded with a cooperative component. By 1928, a separate Department of Cooperative Education was established. As interest in cooperative...
Overview The Division of Student Affairs was originally known as the Office of the Dean of Students. In the 1950s, the office comprised a dean of freshmen, dean of women, and dean of men. In 1970, the Office of Dean of Students was reorganized into the Division of Student Affairs, and many of the tasks that had originally been handled directly by the dean and his assistants were separated into departments that reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs. Among these services were counseling and...
Dates: 1933-2008 (bulk 1965-1985)
Overview Karen Feldscher received her Bachelor of Arts in English from Oberlin College. Later she went on to take courses at Northeastern University studying psychology, business, creative writing and HTML. Feldscher worked for over 26 years at Northeastern, beginning in 1984. Working as a senior writer, she edited a research journal at Northeastern, wrote for its alumni magazine and authored several annual reports. At one point she was the editor of The Voice, Northeastern University's in-house...
Overview Since its founding in 1896, Northeastern University has expanded its campus from a few buildings on Huntington Avenue to a sprawling campus. After initially renting space in the Botolph Building and the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA), the University built its first building, Richards Hall, in 1939, and continued to grow from there. A push towards building dormitory spaces in the 1960s helped to transform the University from a commuter college to a residential college. At the...
Dates: 1855-2006 (bulk 1955-1970)
Overview Northeastern University's Faculty Senate was formed in 1961 by President Asa S. Knowles as an advisory and review body that would involve the faculty in administering the university. The Faculty Senate originally consisted of 24 faculty members representing the academic colleges, the provost, and seven members of the administrative faculty appointed by the president. The provost serves as chair. The Faculty Senate initially included three standing committees: Agenda, Academic and Research...
Dates: 1940-2004 (bulk 1961-1997)
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) Faculty Wives was formed in 1941 to promote social contact among the wives of the university's rapidly expanding faculty. Etta Ell, the wife of NU's second president, Carl Ell, founded Faculty Wives. The organization sponsored back-to-school celebrations, holiday fund-raising parties, and spring luncheons. Money received from fund-raising activities supported student scholarships, building funds, and campus improvement activities. The Faculty Wives disbanded in...
Overview The Forsyth family of Roxbury, Massachusetts, founded the Forsyth Dental Infirmary for Children in 1910. Recognizing that oral hygiene was a key factor in controlling dental disease, the family established The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists in 1916. In 1948, the school entered into an affiliation with Tufts University. In 1962, it became affiliated with Northeastern University, and in September 1963, the first class was admitted. The Northeastern-Forsyth partnership offered dental hygiene...