Record Group Term
Found in 133 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) Holocaust Awareness Committee (HAC) was organized in 1991 and is affiliated with the NU Office of Spiritual Life. Prior to HAC's organization in 1991, NU had an annual Holocaust Remembrance Week, which was organized by the Office of Religious Life (later renamed the Office of Spiritual Life) between 1977 and 1991. Membership includes NU students, faculty, and staff of various religious and ethnic backgrounds. The HAC's primary purpose is to remember the...
Dates: 1984-2010 (bulk 1991-1999)
Overview Human Resource Management aims "to attract, reward and retain a high-quality faculty and staff to meet the university's educational mission." The office is responsible for the university's compensation and benefits programs, employment and employee relations, human resources information systems, and training and development programs for the university community.
Dates: 1963-2005 (bulk 1967-1995)
Overview In December 1941, William W. Robinson and Gordon H. Brown began a ski club at Northeastern University known as the Hus-skiers. Over the years, the Hus-skiers became more involved in other outdoor activities, and "Outing Club" was added to the group's name. In 1971, the club built the Brown Memorial Lodge in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The club usually maintains a membership of about 200 undergraduates, 30 of which are considered active members. There is also a loosely organized Alumni...
Overview In 1927, Northeastern University (NU) first adopted its mascot, a Siberian Husky named King Husky I. After King Husky I's death in 1941, Northeastern developed a 20-year relationship with Chinook Kennels in Wonalancet, New Hampshire, which provided the next seven mascots. In 1958, the kennel closed and the administration chose to commission a husky statue rather than continue the tradition of the live mascots. The statue was completed in 1962 by Anne Philbrick Hall, a sculpter under contract...
Overview Northeastern University's Inaugural Committee organizes and manages the induction ceremony of University presidents. There have been six presidential inaugurations in the history of Northeastern: 30 March 1917 - Frank Palmer Speare; 19 November 1940 - Carl Stephens Ell; 8 September 1959 - Asa Smallidge Knowles; 28 October 1975 - Kenneth Gilmore Ryder; 1 December 1989 - John Anthony Curry ; 17 January 1997 - Richard Middleton Freeland.
Overview The Institute of Taxation (IT) existed ca. 1955-1965 under the auspices of the Northeastern University College of Business Administration, with ties to the Division of Continuing Education. In the 1950s and 1960s, IT presented a series of tax forums as an opportunity for continuing education for local tax professionals. The Federal Tax Forums and Federal Tax Institutes were presented in conjunction with the professional accounting societies of New England. The Massachusetts Tax Forums were...
Overview On April 30, 1920, delegates from the three fraternities (Beta Gamma Epsilon, Alpha Kappa Sigma, and Eta Tau Nu) on Northeastern University's campus joined together to form the Pan-Hellenic Council. Renamed the InterFraternity Council on October 26, 1921, the InterFraternity Council began as a representative body composed of two men from each fraternity. Currently, an unlimited number of members from each fraternity may serve on the council. The objectives of the InterFraternity Council are to...
Dates: 1963-1998 (bulk 1963-1975)
Overview During the 1970's, Northeastern University worked to make the University more a part of the international community. Many students held coop jobs in foreign countries and Northeastern University staff went abroad to recruit, teach or conduct research. In addition, Northeastern experienced an increase in international student enrollment. Because of the increasing number of international students, the Office of Student Affairs employed a Foreign Student Advisor and expanded services, the goal of...
Overview The Lowell Institute School was founded at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1903 as the School for Industrial Foremen. It provided low-cost, continuing education to industrial foremen seeking to enhance their professional skills. The school offered two tuition-free evening programs: the Mechanical Course and the Electrical Course. Over time, the school's admission standards became more rigorous and its curriculum expanded, but it continued to offer two-year programs in mechanical...
Overview In 1967, the Marine Science Center, then the Marine Science Institute, was founded in order to provide space for master and doctoral level students and visiting scientists to conduct research in ocean chemistry, water quality, and pollution. The Marine Science Center (MSC), located in Nahant, opened on October 29, 1969 as the David F. and Edna F. Edwards Marine Science Laboratory. Renamed in 1982 as the Marine Science and Maritime Studies Center, MSC refocused on marine ecology, behavior,...
Dates: 1946-2006 (bulk 1966-1993)