Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Manuscripts/3. Arts and Architecture

 Record Group Term
Identifier: Manuscripts/3

Found in 28 Collections and/or Records:

Elma Ina Lewis papers

 Collection
Identifier: M038
Overview Elma Lewis was born on September 15, 1921 in Boston, Mass. She taught dance, drama, and speech therapy, and established the Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts in 1950, the National Center of Afro-American Artists in 1968, and the Museum of the National Center of Afro-American Artists in 1969.

Dates: 1917-1998

Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts records

 Collection
Identifier: M043
Overview Founded by Elma Lewis in 1950, the Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts was established to meet the social, cultural, and artistic needs of Boston's African American community. Lewis's goal was to foster the arts, not only in the local Roxbury-Dorchester community, but also in the African American community at large. The Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts offered education in art, dance, drama, music, and costuming to pre-school children, school-aged children and adults.

Dates: 1954-1992

Everett C. Marston papers

 Collection
Identifier: M118
Overview Everett C. Marston was born in Maine in 1903. After graduating from Colby College in 1924, he moved to Boston to work for Houghton Mifflin. In 1927 he started teaching English at Northeastern University. After spending four years on the Northeastern faculty, he enrolled in Harvard and earned his Masters in English in 1934. He achieved the rank of professor at Northeastern in 1946. In addition to his teaching duties, he was also involved with the student body. He was the first advisor for the...
Dates: ca. 1930-1970

Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orchestra records

 Collection
Identifier: M031
Overview Considered to be the first swing band in the United States, the Casa Loma Orchestra got its start in Detroit as Jean Goldkette and the Orange Blossoms. Glen Gray, a saxophonist, began fronting the band in 1937 and remained its leader until the group disbanded in 1950.

Dates: 1915-1979

International Society records

 Collection
Identifier: M128
Overview The International Society grew out of the Chinatown's Chinese Economic Development Council in 1979. The society is a nonprofit funded by a combination of grants and donations, and has been headed by Dr. Doris Chu from its beginning. The International Society was created to support Chinese culture and heritage among Boston's Chinese community, as well as to promote the city's understanding of that culture. This mission has shifted over time, however, to include promoting racial harmony through...
Dates: 1978-2002 (bulk 1984-1998)

John Ross papers

 Collection
Identifier: M070
Overview John Andrew Ross was an accomplished African-American composer, organist, choral conductor, and jazz musician. Born in Boston on December 15, 1940, Ross became the music director at the Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts in 1970. Working with the school and its parent organization, the National Center of Afro-American Artists, he lead two widely recognized music ensembles, the Voices of Black Persuasion and the Contra-Band. Starting in 1970, Ross became the musical director of the highly acclaimed...
Dates: 1963-2006

Julius Adolphe Schweinfurth papers

 Collection
Identifier: M028
Overview Julius A. Schweinfurth was born in Auburn, NY on September 20, 1858. Schweinfurth came to Boston in 1879 and was employed by the architectural firm of Peabody and Stearns. He published a collection of his travel drawings, "Sketches Abroad," in 1888. He continued to work as chief designer for Peabody and Stearns while accepting commissions and submitting designs to competitions as an independent architect until 1895. In 1895, Schweinfurth left Peabody and Stearns to open his own practice....
Dates: 1882-1927

Katherine Gillette Osborne papers

 Collection
Identifier: M006
Overview Katherine Gillette Osborne founded the Boston Students Union in 1910. She was resident director of Students House, the residence for women students run by the Union, from 1910 until her death in 1943. Both of the buildings formerly occupied by Students House (81 St. Stephen Street and, later, 96 The Fenway) are now owned by Northeastern University.

Dates: 1874-1942

Larry Blumsack papers

 Collection
Identifier: M203
Overview Larry Blumsack received his BS in Business Administration from Northeastern University in 1960, and his MS in Communications/Theatre from Emerson College in 1965. A founding member of the Theatre Department at Northeastern, Blumsack went on to serve as co-director of the drama department at the Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts before embarking on a twenty-plus year career as a theater critic for a number of Boston area publications.

Dates: 1955-2006 (bulk 1960-1995)

Louise Hall Tharp papers

 Collection
Identifier: M037
Overview Louise Hall Tharp, children's author and historical biographer, was born in 1898 in Oneonta, New York, and raised in Springfield, Massachusetts. After attending the Boston School of Fine Arts in 1917-1919, she worked for the Girl Scouts of America in 1925-1934. In 1940, Tharp wrote her first book, Tory Hole. In total, she wrote 17 historical novels for young people and historical biographies for older readers. In 1959, Tharp was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Literature from Northeastern...
Dates: 1949-1953