Skip to main content

West Roxbury Women's Club records

 Collection
Identifier: M078

Scope and Content Note

The collection documents the activities and members of the West Roxbury Women's Club between 1965 and 1973. The collection consists of newspaper clippings, most of which are from the West Roxbury Transcript and detail West Roxbury Women's Club activities, meeting announcements, and occasional member obituaries. There are no clippings for 1969 and 1970. Included are several issues of the Messenger, the West Roxbury Women's Club's monthly newsletter, between 1965 and 1973 with gaps, and two yearbooks documenting the organization between 1971 and 1973. The organization's bylaws are found in the yearbooks. The collection also contains a citation of achievement for a community improvement program from the General Federation of Women's Organizations and Sears, Roebuck and Co.

Dates

  • 1965-1973

Creator

Conditions Governing Access:

The collection is unrestricted.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use:

Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.

Historical Note

The West Roxbury Women's Club was organized on February 6, 1911. The Club's mission was to promote education and philanthropy, and to encourage united thought and action for social service. The West Roxbury Women's Club sponsored regular seminars and social activities, such as an annual International Day, literature and art days, and musical events, and was involved in philanthropic activities, such as knitting afghans for veteran's hospitals. Club members also helped to organize regular scholarships to schools such as the New England School of Art, Pierce Secretarial School, Garland Junior College, and the Faulkner School of Nursing.

Membership consisted primarily of West Roxbury residents and individuals who had a strong interest in the West Roxbury Community. Non-resident members, who lived more than 25 miles outside of West Roxbury, were permitted to attending meetings and classes but could not vote or hold office. Regular meetings were held the second Tuesday of each month between October and April, and an annual meeting was held on the second Tuesday of April. Annual dues were collected from the members.

The West Roxbury Women's Club was governed by an executive board consisting of a president, vice president, recording secretary, corresponding secretary, treasurer, six directors, a chair of department committees, and a financial advisory. Club work was divided into eight departments: American Home, Art, Community Service, Education, International Affairs, Legislative, Literature, and Social Welfare. The West Roxbury Women's Club was also affiliated with the Massachusetts State Federation of Women's Organizations, Boston City Federation of Women's Organizations, and General Federation of Women's Organizations, which were groups of women's organizations. The West Roxbury Women's Club is no longer in existence.

Chronology

  • 1911 Feb 6 Founded by Mrs. Walter G. Newell, first president, 1911-1914
  • 1911 Mar 23 Admitted to the Massachusetts State Federation of Women's Organizations
  • 1912 Apr 30 Admitted to the Boston City Federation of Women's Organizations
  • 1915 Mar 16 Admitted to the General Federation of Women's Organizations
  • 1971 May 5 Celebrated its 60th year
1911 Feb 6
Founded by Mrs. Walter G. Newell, first president, 1911-1914
1911 Mar 23
Admitted to the Massachusetts State Federation of Women's Organizations
1912 Apr 30
Admitted to the Boston City Federation of Women's Organizations
1915 Mar 16
Admitted to the General Federation of Women's Organizations
1971 May 5
Celebrated its 60th year

Extent

0.15 cubic feet (1 container)

Overview

The West Roxbury Women's Club was organized on February 6, 1911. The Club's mission was to promote education and philanthropy, and to encourage united thought and action for social service. The West Roxbury Women's Club sponsored regular seminars and social activities, such as an annual International Day, literature and art days, and musical events, and was involved in philanthropic activities, such as knitting afghans for veteran's hospitals. Club members also helped to organize regular scholarships to schools such as the New England School of Art, Pierce Secretarial School, Garland Junior College, and the Faulkner School of Nursing. The West Roxbury Women's Club is no longer in existence.

Overview

The West Roxbury Women's Club collection consists of newspaper clippings, most of which are from the West Roxbury Transcript and detail club activities, meeting announcements, and occasional member obituaries between 1965 and 1973. Included are issues of the Messenger, the West Roxbury Women's Club's monthly newsletter, for 1971-1973, and yearbooks for 1971-1973.

System of Arrangement:

Arranged in alphabetical order.

Physical Location

69/4

Bibliography

  • West Roxbury (Mass.) Women's Club. (M78). Year Book, 1971-1972. Box 1, Folder 3.
Title
Finding aid for the West Roxbury Women's Club Records
Author
Finding aid prepared by Jessica Parr
Date
August 2002
Language of description
Description Is In English

Repository Details

Part of the Northeastern University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
92 Snell Library
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115 US