Dwight P. Robinson papers
Dwight Parker Robinson was born around 1868. He graduated from Harvard University in 1890 and received an S.B. degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1892. He was appointed to the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Committee of Professional Conduct in 1927. He was the first president of the American International Shipbuilding Corporation and was the president of the Dwight P. Robinson and Company, which later merged with other companies to become United Engineers and Constructors, Inc. Dwight Parker Robinson, Jr., son of Dwight P. Robinson and Mary Elizabeth Stearns, was born January 15, 1900 and died July 12, 1989. He received his A.B. degree from Harvard University in 1920 and an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School in 1925. During the 1950s and 1960s, he led the Massachusetts Investors Trust, the Boston firm credited with creating the first mutual fund in 1924. In 1959, Robinson was featured on the cover of Time magazine. He was a long time benefactor of Northeastern University, was a member of the Corporation from 1952-1988, a member of the Board of Trustees from 1954-1978, and served as vice chairman of the Corporation and Board of Trustees from 1965-1971. In 1966, Robinson's substantial donations led to the construction of the Mary Gass Robinson building, dedicated and named for his wife. He was presented with a Doctor of Laws Diploma from Northeastern University in 1979.
- Robinson, Dwight P., 1900-1989 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access:
The collection is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use:
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.
.7 cubic feet (1 container)
System of Arrangement:
Arranged in one alphabetical sequence.
- Dwight P. Robinson and Company
- Engineering firms -- Massachusetts
- Harvard University -- Alumni and alumnae
- Mary Gass Robinson Hall (Northeastern University)
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Buildings
- Robinson, Dwight P., 1900-1989
- Robinson, Dwight P., b. 1868?
- United Engineers and Constructors (Boston, Mass.)
- Finding aid for the Robinson Family Papers
- Finding aid prepared by Funnya Bezverkhny and Jeanine Rees
- October 2004
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.