Flora Haas papers
Flora Haas was a local activist who advocated for the rights of prisoners and worked against the death penalty. She wrote numerous articles regarding the death penalty, human experimentation in prisons, and prison daycare for newspapers such as The Boston Globe, Boston Phoenix, Black Weekly, The Arlington Advocate, Sister Courage, and State and Mind. Haas was the editor and creator of The Outlook, which focused on criminal justice opinions in the commonwealth. The Outlook focused on issues concerning the treatment of prisoners. Haas also had regular correspondence with death row inmate John Spenkerlink and his family, and used their experience to write about the death penalty and the affects it had on the family. Haas also wrote articles on and kept a record of the Willie Sanders case. In addition to her activism for prisoners' rights, Haas served as the publicity chairman for the Civil Rights program "Operation Good Neighbor" which was involved in fair housing and fair employment in Arlington, MA.
- Haas, Flora (Person)
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use:
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.
1.15 cubic feet (3 containers)
System of Arrangement:
- Capital punishment -- United States
- Children of women prisoners -- Services for -- United States
- Civil rights movements -- United States -- History -- 20th century
- Death row inmates -- Correspondence
- Death row inmates -- Family relationships -- United States
- Haas, Flora
- MCI-Framingham (Correctional facility)
- Massachusetts Correctional Institution, Bridgewater
- Mentally ill prisoners -- Massachusetts
- Prison administration -- Florida -- History
- Prisoners -- Civil rights -- Massachusetts
- Prisoners -- Education -- United States
- Prisoners -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- United States
- Reformatories for women -- Massachusetts
- Sacco-Vanzetti Trial, Dedham, Mass., 1921
- Women prisoners -- Civil rights -- Massachusetts
- Finding aid for the Flora Haas Papers
- Finding aid prepared by Jennifer Vernali
- May 1, 2007
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.