G. Derrick Hodge papers
G. Derrick Hodge was a member of the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power Boston (ACT UP/Boston) and Queer Nation/Boston in the early 1990's. Hodge served on ACT UP/Boston's discrimination, benefits, and finance working groups. ACT UP/Boston was founded in 1987 by activists Raymond Schmidt, Stephen Skuce, Donald Smith, and Paul Wychules to focus local efforts to speed up the development of AIDS treatments, educational programs, and prevention strategies. The membership was a diverse, nonpartisan group of people united in anger and committed to direct action to end the AIDS crisis. The organization negotiated with government officials, public health policymakers, medical personnel, researchers, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and others to bring about changes to meet the demands of the AIDS crisis. When negotiations failed, they held dramatic demonstrations, sometimes employing civil disobedience, to effect changes to save lives. The organization's motto was "Silence = Death." Queer Nation was an offshoot of ACT UP, created in response to elevated anti-gay and lesbian violence in the early 1990's.
- Hodge, G. Derrick (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials entirely in English.
Conditions Governing Access:
Box 1, Folder 62 is restricted for 75 years. The remainder of the collection is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use:
Copyright restrictions may apply.
1.35 cubic feet
System of Arrangement:
Arranged in one alphabetical sequence by subject.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Received from G. Derrick Hodge of Kansas City, MO in 2010.
- ACT UP Boston (Organization)
- ACT UP New York (Organization)
- AIDS (Disease) -- Massachusetts -- Boston
- AIDS activists -- Massachusetts -- Boston
- Bush, George, 1924-
- Clinical trials -- Moral and ethical aspects -- United States
- Drug approval -- United States
- Gay activists -- Massachusetts -- Boston
- Gays -- violence against -- Massachusetts -- Boston
- HIV-positive persons
- Health care reform -- Massachusetts
- Hodge, G. Derrick
- Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination
- Finding aid for the G. Derrick Hodge Papers
- Finding aid prepared by Andrew Begley
- September 19, 2014
- Language of description
- Description is in English.