Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Overview Asa S. Knowles (1909-1990) was President of the Associated Colleges of Upper New York (1946-1948), Vice-President of University Development at Cornell University (1948-1951), President of the University of Toledo (1951-1958), and President, later Chancellor, at Northeastern University (1959-1981). He was also on the board of directors of Shawmut Bank of Boston, N.A. from 1961 to 1989(?) and on the board of directors of Shawmut Corporation from 1965 to 1989(?). Knowles wrote a history of Shawmut...
Dates: 1836-1990 (bulk 1920-1983)
Overview This collection comprises artifacts that were either presented to or created by Northeastern University (NU), including items such as awards, flags, banners, medals, clothing, paperweights, coasters, pins, dishware, figurines, and jewelry. Some of the items have links to particular individuals or groups; others are representative of NU as a whole. Of special interest is a class sweater worn by a member of the Class of 1926. (The NU Photograph Collection contains photographs of a freshman class...
Overview The collection consists of motion picture reels documenting life at Northeastern University. Included are films of the groundbreaking and construction of Richards Hall, Dodge Hall, Cabot Physical Education Center, Hayden Hall, Ell Student Center, and Churchill Hall. Also included are films of the naming of the Cabot and Ell buildings, President Knowles' inauguration, and President Ell's Alumni Testimonial Dinner. Each reel has been copied to VHS format. There are four master VHS copies for the...
Overview Northeastern University was founded in 1898 as a primarily commuter school with an all-male student body focusing on engineering and law programs. Since then, the University has expanded and now has six basic colleges, graduate and undergraduate programs in a wide variety of fields, and a diverse student body. The photographic collection reflects the history and development of the University from the early 1900s to the present day, including the expansion of Northeastern's physical plant and...
Dates: 1903-2009 (bulk 1950s-2009)
Overview Doris Oberg attended many university functions with her husband, Rudolf O. Oberg, and took pictures. Rudolf Oberg was a member of Northeastern University Class of 1926. He was director of Alumni Affairs at Northeastern University for over 25 years and worked there for nearly 50 years. Rudolf Oberg died in 1973, and Doris Oberg died in March 1993.
Dates: ca. 1945-1973
Overview Carl Stephens Ell (CSE) was the second president of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. During his tenure as President, CSE was responsible for the accreditation of several of NU's academic programs and the rapid expansion of the physical plant. His other positions at NU included instructor at the Co-operative School of Engineering of the Boston YMCA (1910-1912), Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1912-1917), Assistant Dean of the School of Engineering (1914-1917), Dean of the...
Overview Asa Smallidge Knowles (ASK) was the third president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1959 to 1975. Under ASK's leadership, NU expanded its academic offerings, and all of its programs were accredited. Enrollment doubled, and the number of resident students increased dramatically. NU's physical plant grew to include five campuses, and its financial assets experienced significant growth. Between 1967 and 1972, NU faced various student protests concerning student rights, the Black Power...
- Names: Knowles, Asa Smallidge, 1909-1990 X
- Universities and colleges -- Administration 3
- College buildings 2
- College presidents -- Inauguration 2
- College presidents -- Massachusetts -- Boston 2
- Education, Cooperative 2
- Banks and banking 1
- College athletes -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- College buildings -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- College campuses -- Massachusetts 1
- College life films -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- College sports -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- College students -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- College trustees 1
- Commencement ceremonies -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Commencement ceremonies -- United States 1
- Educational fund raising 1
- Greek letter societies 1
- Student activities -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Student protesters -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Student strikes 1
- Students -- Political activity -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Universities and colleges -- Accreditation 1
- Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Universities and colleges -- Employees 1
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty 1
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975 -- Protest movements 1 ∧ less