Showing Collections: 11 - 17 of 17
Overview Northeastern University's Office of Planning was established in 1959. Since 1982 it has been known as the Office of Physical Planning and Design. The Office is concerned with the design and expansion of Northeastern University's physical campus and buildings, and space planning for educational programs. Prior to 1959, the Building Committee and other special committees of the Board of Trustees handled Northeastern University's physical expansion.
Dates: 1903-1997 (bulk 1960-1987)
Overview Carl Stephens Ell (CSE) was the second president of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. During his tenure as President, CSE was responsible for the accreditation of several of NU's academic programs and the rapid expansion of the physical plant. His other positions at NU included instructor at the Co-operative School of Engineering of the Boston YMCA (1910-1912), Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1912-1917), Assistant Dean of the School of Engineering (1914-1917), Dean of the...
Overview Asa Smallidge Knowles (ASK) was the third president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1959 to 1975. Under ASK's leadership, NU expanded its academic offerings, and all of its programs were accredited. Enrollment doubled, and the number of resident students increased dramatically. NU's physical plant grew to include five campuses, and its financial assets experienced significant growth. Between 1967 and 1972, NU faced various student protests concerning student rights, the Black Power...
Overview Kenneth Gilmore Ryder (KGR), the fourth president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1975 to 1989, began his career at NU in 1949 as an instructor of history and government. He was promoted to assistant professor in 1953 and to associate professor in 1956. In 1957, KGR gave up his teaching responsibilities to assume a succession of administrative positions: Dean of Administration (1958-1966), Vice President of University Administration (1967-1970), and Executive Vice President (1971-1975). In...
Overview Asa S. Knowles, Northeastern University's (NU) third president, created the Office of University Development (OUD) in 1959 to increase NU's resources through fundraising activities and campaigns. These activities include Planned Giving, which encourages bequests, annuities, trusts, and life income agreements; Corporation and Foundations, which promotes capital gifts and grants from corporations, foundations, and other organizations; Alumni and Friends, which manages donations from former...
Overview Dwight Parker Robinson was born around 1868. He graduated from Harvard University in 1890 and received an S.B. degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1892. He was appointed to the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Committee of Professional Conduct in 1927. He was the first president of the American International Shipbuilding Corporation and was the president of the Dwight P. Robinson and Company, which later merged with other companies to become United Engineers and...
Overview Walter W. Hartford Jr., was president of Northeastern University's Class of 1943 and was an electrical engineering major in the original Class of 1944, which entered Northeastern in September 1939. The graduation date for the class was to be June 1944; however, after the United States entered World War II, the school instituted an accelerated program which moved the graduation date of the Class of 1944 to November 1943. During the war, Northeastern University graduated several classes per year,...
Dates: circa 1942-1943
- Names: Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Buildings X
- Education, Cooperative 3
- College buildings 2
- College buildings -- Massachusetts -- Boston 2
- College presidents -- Inauguration 2
- College presidents -- Massachusetts -- Boston 2
- College students -- Massachusetts -- Boston 2
- Educational fund raising 2
- Universities and colleges -- Administration 2
- Architecture, Domestic -- Designs and plans 1
- Buildings -- Additions -- Design and construction 1
- College life films -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- College publications -- Massachusetts 1
- College students -- Recreation 1
- College trustees 1
- College trustees -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Commencement ceremonies -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Community development, Urban -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Dedication Ceremonies -- Buildings 1
- Engineering -- Study and Teaching (Higher) -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Engineering firms -- Massachusetts 1
- Engineering students -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Greek letter societies 1
- School integration -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Student strikes 1
- Swimming pools -- Design and construction 1
- Universities and colleges -- Accreditation 1
- Universities and colleges -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Universities and colleges -- Public services 1
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975 -- Protest movements 1 ∧ less