Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview The Division of Student Affairs was originally known as the Office of the Dean of Students. In the 1950s, the office comprised a dean of freshmen, dean of women, and dean of men. In 1970, the Office of Dean of Students was reorganized into the Division of Student Affairs, and many of the tasks that had originally been handled directly by the dean and his assistants were separated into departments that reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs. Among these services were counseling and...
Dates: 1933-2008 (bulk 1965-1985)
Overview African American politician and educator Joseph David Warren was born to Geroldine McDaniel Warren and Harold H. Warren in Harlem, New York on April 2, 1938. In 1979, he organized what became known as the "Warren Commission," a political advocacy group that worked to improve the social and economic conditions of minority groups and to ensure that their needs were represented in the Massachusetts and federal governments. Warren served as a political aide and advisor to Michael S. Dukakis during...
Dates: 1972-2003 (bulk 1980-1990)
Overview Martin Neal Gopen was born August 13, 1934 and died on June 18, 2006, spending the majority of his life in the South End of Boston, MA. During that time he worked as a political activist and advocate for underserved communities. He attended Northeastern University (1950-1952), but earned his undergraduate (1955-1960) and graduate (1960-1961) degrees from Boston University. He served in the US Army from 1951-1953 when he was honorably discharged. He was involved in numerous social justice...
Dates: 1933-1994 (bulk 1969-1989)
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) Affirmative Action Office (AAO) was created in 1975 in response to several federal laws and regulations designed to encourage employment and educational equity at institutions throughout American society. President Asa Knowles was head of a group of Boston-area university presidents who tried to adhere to these new rules. During his tenure, NU established the Afro-American Institute and sought to enroll and retain African American students as well as hire and...
Dates: 1973-1995 (bulk 1975-1986)
- Subject: Affirmative action programs X
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) 2
- Boston Housing Authority (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933- 1
- Gopen, Martin Neal 1
- Greater Roxbury Community Corporation (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Jackson, Ellen S. 1
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- 1
- Karp, Ruth 1
- King, Mel 1
- Mondale, Walter F., 1928- 1
- Norman, John C. 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Administration 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Funds and scholarships 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Student government 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Student housing 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Students 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Class of 1985 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Division of Student Affairs 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Office of Affirmative Action and Diversity 1
- O'Bryant, John D. 1
- Warren, Joseph D. 1
- Warren, Joseph David, 1938-2010 1 ∧ less