Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview In 1982, Vice President John A. Curry reorganized the existing Office of Community Development into the Office of Community Affairs. Placed under the direction of Joseph D. Warren, the Office of Community Affairs' primary mission was to respond to the concerns of Northeastern University's neighbors. Additionally, the office administered several community outreach programs, such as the annual Thanksgiving food and Christmas toy drives and a scholarship program for Boston Housing Authority...
Overview The Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Greater Boston was the first YMCA chapter in North America. It was founded in 1851 by Captain Thomas Valentine Sullivan (1800-1859), an American seaman and missionary. He was influenced by the London YMCA and saw the association as an opportunity to provide a "home away from home" for young sailors on shore leave. The Boston chapter promoted evangelical Christianity, the cultivation of Christian sympathy, and the improvement of the spiritual,...
Overview In 1941, the West Roxbury Citizen's Association met with the leaders of the YMCA of Greater Boston to try to solve the growing problem of juvenile delinquency in their neighborhood. In 1942, with the help of William MacCormick, West Roxbury had its first YMCA club. Meetings were held wherever they could find the available space: churches, cellars, schools, and playing fields. By 1945, the activities included club meetings, sports, and a day camp for boys in the Blue Hills Reservation. In 2001,...
- Names: Boston Young Men's Christian Association X
- Day Camps -- Massachusetts -- Boston 2
- African Americans -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Boston (Mass.) -- Economic conditions 1
- Boston (Mass.) -- Social conditions 1
- Camps -- New Hampshire -- Lake Winnipesaukee 1
- Community and college -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Community development, Urban -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Community life -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Community relations 1
- Mission Hill (Boston, Mass.) -- Social conditions 1
- Neighborhood -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Outdoor recreation -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.) -- Social conditions 1
- Student housing -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Urban youth -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Vocational education -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Youth -- Societies and Clubs 1 ∧ less