Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 17
Overview Bernard "Bunny" Solomon was born in Brookline, Massachusetts in 1923. A member of Northeastern University's Class of 1946, he served in Europe in World War II, returning home to a position in his father's lingerie manufacturing business. He became an active Democrat and was appointed State Purchasing Agent under Governor Foster Furcolo in 1957. Solomon resigned his position in 1960 and became a vice president of the Stop & Shop Companies. In 1982, he left Stop & Shop to become the vice...
Overview Born in Indiana in 1899, Byron K. Elliott was a member of the Northeastern University Corporation from 1954 to 1996 and Board of Trustees from 1955 to 1972. In 1959, he became Chair of the Corporation and the Board of Trustees, and served as such until 1971. In 1963, Elliott also co-developed the Graduate School of Actuarial Science at Northeastern University with Harold A. Garabedian and Asa S. Knowles. Byron K. Elliott earned a Bachelor's degree from Indiana University in 1920 and a law...
Overview Northeastern University was incorporated in 1916 as the Northeastern College of the Young Men's Christian Association. In its first two decades, at least two-thirds of Northeastern University's Corporation members were directors of the Greater Boston Y.M.C.A. The Board of Trustees of the Endowment Funds was established in 1924. In 1927, it became the Board of Trustees of the Permanent Funds, but disbanded in 1932. On January 22, 1937 the Corporation founded the Northeastern University Board of...
Overview Northeastern University's Office of University Advancement was established in 1959 and includes the division of Corporations and Foundations, which promotes capital gifts and grants from corporations, foundations, and other organizations. Its efforts have resulted in funding for new buildings, expanded academic offerings, professorships, and scholarships at Northeastern University.
Overview Since its founding in 1896, Northeastern University has expanded its campus from a few buildings on Huntington Avenue to a sprawling campus. After initially renting space in the Botolph Building and the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA), the University built its first building, Richards Hall, in 1939, and continued to grow from there. A push towards building dormitory spaces in the 1960s helped to transform the University from a commuter college to a residential college. At the...
Overview This collection comprises artifacts that were either presented to or created by Northeastern University (NU), including items such as awards, flags, banners, medals, clothing, paperweights, coasters, pins, dishware, figurines, and jewelry. Some of the items have links to particular individuals or groups; others are representative of NU as a whole. Of special interest is a class sweater worn by a member of the Class of 1926. (The NU Photograph Collection contains photographs of a freshman class...
Overview The collection consists of motion picture reels documenting life at Northeastern University. Included are films of the groundbreaking and construction of Richards Hall, Dodge Hall, Cabot Physical Education Center, Hayden Hall, Ell Student Center, and Churchill Hall. Also included are films of the naming of the Cabot and Ell buildings, President Knowles' inauguration, and President Ell's Alumni Testimonial Dinner. Each reel has been copied to VHS format. There are four master VHS copies for the...
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) Office of University Photography (OUP) is responsible for the public image of NU as represented in photographs and videos. OUP provides photographic support and expertise to NU's marketing, news, and public relations publications.
Overview Doris Oberg attended many university functions with her husband, Rudolf O. Oberg, and took pictures. Rudolf Oberg was a member of Northeastern University Class of 1926. He was director of Alumni Affairs at Northeastern University for over 25 years and worked there for nearly 50 years. Rudolf Oberg died in 1973, and Doris Oberg died in March 1993.
Overview During the 1960s and early 1970s, the Office of the President was responsible for coordinating and overseeing all building dedications and major events. In the mid 1970s, this responsibility was transferred to the Office of University Functions, renamed the Office of Special Events when President Kenneth G. Ryder began his administration. During the 1990s, the Office of Special Events was renamed the Office of Conference and Event Planning.
- Names: Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Buildings X
- Education, Cooperative 3
- College buildings 2
- College buildings -- Massachusetts -- Boston 2
- College presidents -- Inauguration 2
- College presidents -- Massachusetts -- Boston 2
- College students -- Massachusetts -- Boston 2
- Educational fund raising 2
- Universities and colleges -- Administration 2
- Architecture, Domestic -- Designs and plans 1
- Buildings -- Additions -- Design and construction 1
- College life films -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- College publications -- Massachusetts 1
- College students -- Recreation 1
- College trustees 1
- College trustees -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Commencement ceremonies -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Community development, Urban -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Dedication Ceremonies -- Buildings 1
- Engineering -- Study and Teaching (Higher) -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Engineering firms -- Massachusetts 1
- Engineering students -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Greek letter societies 1
- School integration -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Student strikes 1
- Swimming pools -- Design and construction 1
- Universities and colleges -- Accreditation 1
- Universities and colleges -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Universities and colleges -- Public services 1
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975 -- Protest movements 1 ∧ less