Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4

Northeastern University Motion Picture collection

 Collection
Identifier: A014
Overview The collection consists of motion picture reels documenting life at Northeastern University. Included are films of the groundbreaking and construction of Richards Hall, Dodge Hall, Cabot Physical Education Center, Hayden Hall, Ell Student Center, and Churchill Hall. Also included are films of the naming of the Cabot and Ell buildings, President Knowles' inauguration, and President Ell's Alumni Testimonial Dinner. Each reel has been copied to VHS format. There are four master VHS copies for the...

Office of the President (Ell) records

 Collection
Identifier: A002
Overview Carl Stephens Ell (CSE) was the second president of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. During his tenure as President, CSE was responsible for the accreditation of several of NU's academic programs and the rapid expansion of the physical plant. His other positions at NU included instructor at the Co-operative School of Engineering of the Boston YMCA (1910-1912), Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1912-1917), Assistant Dean of the School of Engineering (1914-1917), Dean of the...

Young Men's Christian Association of Greater Boston records

 Collection
Identifier: M013
Overview The Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Greater Boston was the first YMCA chapter in North America. It was founded in 1851 by Captain Thomas Valentine Sullivan (1800-1859), an American seaman and missionary. He was influenced by the London YMCA and saw the association as an opportunity to provide a "home away from home" for young sailors on shore leave. The Boston chapter promoted evangelical Christianity, the cultivation of Christian sympathy, and the improvement of the spiritual,...

Young Men's Christian Association of Greater Boston, West Roxbury/Roslindale Branch records

 Collection
Identifier: M062
Overview In 1941, the West Roxbury Citizen's Association met with the leaders of the YMCA of Greater Boston to try to solve the growing problem of juvenile delinquency in their neighborhood. In 1942, with the help of William MacCormick, West Roxbury had its first YMCA club. Meetings were held wherever they could find the available space: churches, cellars, schools, and playing fields. By 1945, the activities included club meetings, sports, and a day camp for boys in the Blue Hills Reservation. In 2001,...