Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview The African American Master Artists-in-Residence Program (AAMARP) began in 1974 when Northeastern University provided studio space to artist Dana Chandler. Established officially in 1977, the program was the first African American artist-in-residence program in the United States, providing studio space on an annually renewable basis to visual artists. The first exhibition by African American Master Artists-in-Residence Program debuted at Boston City Hall in 1977. Between 1978 and 1988, the...
Overview Dana C. Chandler, Jr., noted African American artist, activist, and educator, was born in Lynn, Mass. in 1941. He was educated in Boston Public Schools, and earned a B.S. in Teacher Education from the Massachusetts College of Art. Chandler participated in the black integrationist movement since his high school years. Chandler joined the black nationalist movement in the 1960s, after witnessing police brutality against a group of peaceful welfare protestors. Chandler has used his art to educate...
Overview John Andrew Ross was an accomplished African-American composer, organist, choral conductor, and jazz musician. Born in Boston on December 15, 1940, Ross became the music director at the Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts in 1970. Working with the school and its parent organization, the National Center of Afro-American Artists, he lead two widely recognized music ensembles, the Voices of Black Persuasion and the Contra-Band. Starting in 1970, Ross became the musical director of the highly acclaimed...
Overview In 1989 and 1990, Milton Derr, Mel King, and Byron Rushing, three prominent members of Boston's African American community, were interviewed about their lives and work in preparation for a book by Ronald W. Bailey with Diane Turner and Robert Hayden, entitled Lower Roxbury: A Community of Treasures in the City of Boston. Milton Derr, a painter, illustrator and retired teacher, was born in 1932 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He moved to Boston to study at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts and took...
- Subject: African American art -- Massachusetts -- Boston X
- Bailey, Ronald W. 1
- Chandler, Dana C., Jr., 1941- 1
- Chandler, Dana, Jr. 1
- Chandler, Dana, Jr., 1941- 1
- Derr, Milton 1
- Duro, Akin 1
- Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts 1
- King, Mel 1
- Lewis, Elma 1
- Metropolitan Council for Educational Opportunity (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Museum of the National Center of Afro-American Artists 1
- National Center of Afro-American Artists 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). African American Master Artists-in-Residence Program 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Department of African American Studies 1
- Ross, John Andrew 1
- Ross, John Andrew, 1940-2006 1
- Rushing, Byron 1
- Turner, Diane 1 ∧ less