Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview Founded by Elma Lewis in 1950, the Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts was established to meet the social, cultural, and artistic needs of Boston's African American community. Lewis's goal was to foster the arts, not only in the local Roxbury-Dorchester community, but also in the African American community at large. The Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts offered education in art, dance, drama, music, and costuming to pre-school children, school-aged children and adults.
Overview The International Society grew out of the Chinatown's Chinese Economic Development Council in 1979. The society is a nonprofit funded by a combination of grants and donations, and has been headed by Dr. Doris Chu from its beginning. The International Society was created to support Chinese culture and heritage among Boston's Chinese community, as well as to promote the city's understanding of that culture. This mission has shifted over time, however, to include promoting racial harmony through...
Overview Established in 1969 as a division of the National Center of Afro-American Artists, the Museum of the National Center of Afro-American Artists is an art museum dedicated to the education, promotion, exhibition, and collection of African, Caribbean, and Afro-American fine arts worldwide.
Overview The National Center of Afro-American Artists was founded by Elma Ina Lewis in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1968. The Center's founding was a response to concerns over a lack of a comprehensive, national institutional center for African American artists.
- Subject: Art centers -- Massachusetts -- Boston X
- Lewis, Elma 3
- National Center of Afro-American Artists 3
- National Center of Afro-American Artists. Museum 3
- Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts 2
- Asia on Stage Repertory Theatre (Boston, Mass.) 1
- CCI Gallery (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Center for Chinese Art and Culture (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Chandler, Dana, Jr. 1
- China Institute (Boston, Mass.) 1
- China Showcase Gallery (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Chinese Culture Institute (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Chinese Culture Institute (Boston, Mass.). Music and Dance Ensemble 1
- Chinese Economic Development Council (CEDC) (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Chu, Doris 1
- Ellington, Duke, 1899-1974 1
- Elma Lewis School for the Fine Arts 1
- Gaither, Edmund Barry, 1944- 1
- International Society 1
- International Society (Boston, Mass.) 1
- International Society Gallery (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Museum of the National Center of Afro-American Artists 1
- Tremont Gallery (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Tremont Theatre (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Ying, Tian 1 ∧ less