Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview The Boston Intercollegiate Lesbian and Gay Alliance (BILGA) was created in 1983 as an umbrella organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender student groups in the Boston area. The group coordinated student activism and community-building, provided support for fledgling student groups, and began an annual conference, the Northeast Lesbian and Gay Student Activist Conference. The conferences spawned the Northeast Lesbian and Gay Student Union, which began to run the event in 1985. The...
Overview The Gay and Lesbian Labor Activists Network is a Boston-based, non-profit, membership organization established in 1987. It campaigns for lesbian and gay liberation, fights against homophobia in the labor movement, and educates the lesbian and gay community about the importance of unions, organized labor, and the struggles of working people. The Gay and Lesbian Labor Activists Network has provided support to mainstream union campaigns, represented gay issues at various unions' meetings, and...
Overview Founded as the Lesbian and Gay Political Alliance of Greater Boston (LGPAGB) in 1982, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Political Alliance of Massachusetts (LGBTPAM) is a political advocacy organization for gay and lesbian rights. Today this group has actively pursued causes relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, such as funding for AIDS research and education, anti-discrimination legislation, legalization of same-sex unions, and the elimination of anti-gay...
Overview The Massachusetts Gay and Lesbian Political Caucus (the Caucus) was founded in 1973 to fight for social equality for the gay and lesbian community in Massachusetts. Originally titled the Boston Advocates for Human Rights, the organization changed its name to Massachusetts Caucus for Gay Legislation in 1976 to reflect its focus on statewide legislation. The organization adopted its current name in 1987. The Caucus was the first group within the gay and lesbian community to employ a lobbyist to...
Dates: 1974-2007 (bulk 1978-2004)
Overview In 1977, a group of activists formed the Boston chapter of Mobilization for Survival, an organization dedicated to nuclear disarmament and peace. During the late 1970s and early 1980s, Mobilization for Survival rallied against a variety of anti-military and anti-nuclear causes such as the American presence in Central America and nuclear proliferation. In 1985, a group of feminists in the Boston chapter met to create a Feminist Task Force within the organization to address women's issues within...
Overview William J. Canfield II was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1946. He was a gay activist in Boston and was involved in the Boston gay liberation movement between 1970 and 1975. In 1971-1972, Canfield was president of Homophile Union of Boston (HUB). The Homophile Union of Boston was founded in 1969 by Frank Morgan in order to broaden awareness of gay lifestyles and seek civil rights for gays and lesbians. Along with John C. Graves (MIT professor, psychologist, and psychotherapist at the...
Dates: 1946-2012 (bulk 1970-1999)
- Subject: Gay rights -- Massachusetts X
- Boston Intercollegiate Lesbian and Gay Alliance 1
- Braun, Rich 1
- Canfield, William J., 1946- 1
- Feminist Task Force 1
- Gay and Lesbian Labor Activists Network 1
- Gearhart, David 1
- Graves, John C. 1
- Hoffman, Barbara 1
- Holmberg, Beth 1
- Homophile Union of Boston 1
- Isaacson, Arline 1
- Johnson, Lois 1
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Political Alliance of Massachusetts 1
- Lesbian and Gay Political Alliance of Greater Boston 1
- Lesbian and Gay Political Alliance of Massachusetts 1
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Political Alliance of Massachusetts 1
- Massachusetts Caucus for Gay Legislation 1
- Massachusetts Gay Political Caucus 1
- Massachusetts Gay and Lesbian Political Caucus 1
- McCassie, James 1
- Mitzell, John 1
- Mobilization for Survival 1
- Mobilization for Survival: Feminist Task Force 1
- Northeast Lesbian and Gay Student Activist Conference 1
- Northeast Lesbian and Gay Student Union 1
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Organization for Alternative Lifestyles 1
- Pride at Work (Organization) 1
- Student Homophile League (Cambridge, Mass.) 1
- Thiersch, Craig 1
- Tierney, Stephen 1
- Tillotson, Stanley 1 ∧ less