Record Group Term
Found in 17 Collections and/or Records:
Overview In 1943 Northeastern University enrolled women in its undergraduate day divisions for the first time. In May 1993 NU's Women's Studies Program and Office of University Relations organized events to celebrate the 33 women who enrolled in 1943 and honor all the undergraduate women of Northeastern. As part of Undergraduate Women at Northeastern University Month, the 50th Anniversary of Undergraduate Women celebration included three major events: a reunion for the women who enrolled in 1943, a...
Dates: 1943-1947, 1993
Overview The African American Master Artists-in-Residence Program (AAMARP) began in 1974 when Northeastern University provided studio space to artist Dana Chandler. Established officially in 1977, the program was the first African American artist-in-residence program in the United States, providing studio space on an annually renewable basis to visual artists. The first exhibition by African American Master Artists-in-Residence Program debuted at Boston City Hall in 1977. Between 1978 and 1988, the...
Dates: 1976-2003 (bulk 1977-1988)
Overview On June 19, 1993 Northeastern University (NU) held its 91st commencement ceremony at the Boston Garden in the North End. The morning ceremony featured the recently inaugurated President William Jefferson Clinton (WJC) as the commencement speaker. WJC, who was the 42nd President of the United States (1993-2001), received an honorary Doctorate of Public Service at the ceremony. NU began courting WJC soon after his inauguration on January 20, 1993. Leading NU's efforts was Tom Keady, NU's...
Overview The Department of Afro-American Studies was created in 1973 by the College of Liberal Arts in response to the demands of Northeastern's African American students and a nation-wide trend towards the foundation of ethnic studies departments. During the 1970s, the Department worked to establish itself and appeal to a wide range of student interests by offering classes on the African American experience in literature, art, music, history, politics, and film. The Department worked co-operatively...
Overview The Northeastern University Department of Music began as part of the Department of Drama, Speech and Music in 1958 and became an independent department in 1966-1967. The music curriculum was originally a non-major program for professional musicians who desired theoretical training. In 1982, a BA in Music Literature became available. By 1989, the Department began collaborating with the New England Conservatory to offer a Music Industry major, and by 1992, music history courses were included in...
Overview The Division of Student Affairs was originally known as the Office of the Dean of Students. In the 1950s, the office comprised a dean of freshmen, dean of women, and dean of men. In 1970, the Office of Dean of Students was reorganized into the Division of Student Affairs, and many of the tasks that had originally been handled directly by the dean and his assistants were separated into departments that reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs. Among these services were counseling and...
Dates: 1933-2008 (bulk 1965-1985)
Overview Karen Feldscher received her Bachelor of Arts in English from Oberlin College. Later she went on to take courses at Northeastern University studying psychology, business, creative writing and HTML. Feldscher worked for over 26 years at Northeastern, beginning in 1984. Working as a senior writer, she edited a research journal at Northeastern, wrote for its alumni magazine and authored several annual reports. At one point she was the editor of The Voice, Northeastern University's in-house...
Overview In 1927, Northeastern University (NU) first adopted its mascot, a Siberian Husky named King Husky I. After King Husky I's death in 1941, Northeastern developed a 20-year relationship with Chinook Kennels in Wonalancet, New Hampshire, which provided the next seven mascots. In 1958, the kennel closed and the administration chose to commission a husky statue rather than continue the tradition of the live mascots. The statue was completed in 1962 by Anne Philbrick Hall, a sculpter under contract...
Overview During the 1970's, Northeastern University worked to make the University more a part of the international community. Many students held coop jobs in foreign countries and Northeastern University staff went abroad to recruit, teach or conduct research. In addition, Northeastern experienced an increase in international student enrollment. Because of the increasing number of international students, the Office of Student Affairs employed a Foreign Student Advisor and expanded services, the goal of...
Overview In 1967, the Marine Science Center, then the Marine Science Institute, was founded in order to provide space for master and doctoral level students and visiting scientists to conduct research in ocean chemistry, water quality, and pollution. The Marine Science Center (MSC), located in Nahant, opened on October 29, 1969 as the David F. and Edna F. Edwards Marine Science Laboratory. Renamed in 1982 as the Marine Science and Maritime Studies Center, MSC refocused on marine ecology, behavior,...
Dates: 1946-2006 (bulk 1966-1993)