Northeastern University Memorabilia
This collection comprises artifacts that were either presented to or created by Northeastern University (NU), including items such as awards, flags, banners, medals, clothing, paperweights, coasters, pins, dishware, figurines, and jewelry. Some of the items have links to particular individuals or groups; others are representative of NU as a whole. Of special interest is a class sweater worn by a member of the Class of 1926. (The NU Photograph Collection contains photographs of a freshman class outing in 1922 in which all the students wear similar sweaters.) There is also a bowler hat used as a prize in several student fund-raising competitions in the late 1930s. The mounted university seals document the changing design of the NU seal. The jewelry includes two medallions that may have been worn by Edward S. "Putty" Parsons, NU Class of 1922, and a pin presented to graduates of the Boston YMCA Cooperative Engineering School, the first pins awarded to NU graduates. There is also an engineering drafting tools kit which belonged to Kenneth Hunt ca. 1937. The leather kit is missing one compass, but is inscribed with Northeastern University. Another interesting item is a cigar box from Waitt and Bond Blackstone Cigars. The cigar factory building pictured on the inside of the box was purchased by Reuben Gryzmish L'12, H'69. The building located at 716 Columbus Place is now owned by Northeastern University. In the awards section, there is a Senior Week Award for Corinne Cianci. Corinne Cianci graduated in 1964, and later returned as administrator and assistant professor. She earned a M.Ed. in 1971. She married NU alumnus Eugene Reppucci, and in 2010 they donated the Anna & Eugene M. Reppucci Alumni Reading Room to Snell Library. The Additional NU memorabilia can be found in other collections in the University Archives.
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access:
The collection is unrestricted.
11 cubic feet (17 containers, 3 flat file folders)
System of Arrangement:
Arranged in one alphabetical sequence.
30/1-2, 35/3, FF4/D1
- Cianci, Corinne
- Freedman, Rhoda
- Gryzmish, Reuben
- Knowles, Asa Smallidge, 1909-1990
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Awards
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Buildings
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Collectibles
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Center for Continuing Education
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Class of 1924
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Class of 1926
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). College of Education
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). College of Engineering
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). College of Liberal Arts
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). School of Law
- Persons, Edward S.
- Shulman, Irving
- Speare, Frank Palmer, 1869-1954
- White, Udell S. Redmond
- Finding aid for the Northeastern University Memorabilia Records
- Finding aid prepared by Molly Overholt; updated by Eliana Wachs Cashman; updated by Kristin Wright
- May 2002, February 2008, November 2014
- Language of description
- Description is in English.