Record Group Term
Found in 133 Collections and/or Records:
Overview On November 5, 1943, the Northeastern University Corporation voted to celebrate the University's 50th Anniversary from September 1947 through October 1948. On January 24, 1946, the Board of Trustees established a committee to plan the anniversary celebrations. The Central Committee for the 50th Anniversary was chaired by Robert G. Dodge and included three subcommittees: Staff Committee, Alumni Advisory Committee, and Faculty Committee. The Faculty Committee was chaired by Milton J....
Overview In 1943 Northeastern University enrolled women in its undergraduate day divisions for the first time. In May 1993 NU's Women's Studies Program and Office of University Relations organized events to celebrate the 33 women who enrolled in 1943 and honor all the undergraduate women of Northeastern. As part of Undergraduate Women at Northeastern University Month, the 50th Anniversary of Undergraduate Women celebration included three major events: a reunion for the women who enrolled in 1943, a...
Dates: 1943-1947, 1993
Overview On October 3, 1973, Northeastern officially celebrated the beginning of its 75th anniversary. The convocation and opening ceremonies included an address by Senator Edward W. Brooke, a luncheon, and the presentation of faculty, administration, and alumni awards. Other anniversary events included the "Employer Institute and Manpower Symposium" on November 8, 1973 (sponsored by the University, the US Office of Education, and the National Commission on Cooperative Education) and the conclusion of...
Dates: 1962-1980 (bulk 1973)
Overview The Administrative Committee of the Basic Colleges comprised of the deans of the Basic Colleges of Northeastern University and met regularly to discuss issues pertaining to the administration and daily running of the colleges. The four original Basic Colleges were the College of Business Administration, the College of Engineering, the College of Liberal Arts, and the School of Law. In response to the academic community's demand for increased specialization, the number of colleges at...
Unprocessed — Box 1: [39358015475764,TRF119719810]
Overview In 1991 Provost Michael Baer laid the groundwork for a committee that would work to create a common experience for all Northeastern University undergraduates. The Advocates for a Common Experience Committee was created after the failure of a similar initiative during 19881990. Working under the direction of Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education Andrea Leskes, the committee, consisting of faculty, students, administrators, alumni, and trustees, solicited the help of experts to ascertain the...
Overview In February 1969, Northeastern University's African American students submitted a proposal to establish the Afro-American Institute and a Black Studies Department. Students envisioned that the Afro-American Institute would provide an academic, cultural, and political base for black students on campus. Northeastern University's Board of Trustees approved setting up the Afro-American Institute in the Forsyth Annex and appointed Charles Turner director. At the Norfolk House in John Eliot Square,...
Overview The African American Master Artists-in-Residence Program (AAMARP) began in 1974 when Northeastern University provided studio space to artist Dana Chandler. Established officially in 1977, the program was the first African American artist-in-residence program in the United States, providing studio space on an annually renewable basis to visual artists. The first exhibition by African American Master Artists-in-Residence Program debuted at Boston City Hall in 1977. Between 1978 and 1988, the...
Dates: 1976-2003 (bulk 1977-1988)
Overview Responding to the needs of the Boston business community in 1898, the Greater Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) began to offer business courses to train clerks. By the turn of the century, with business practice becoming increasingly complex, the need to educate businessmen in more modern techniques of administration and contemporary business ethics became apparent. In 1907, the Evening Institute at the Greater Boston YMCA (the predecessor to Northeastern University) formed a...
Overview The collection contains theses written by undergraduate engineering students at Northeastern University between 1914 and 1953.
Overview As early as 1914, Northeastern University offered musical activities for its students. Beginning with the Northeastern Symphony Orchestra, early musical activities included the Banjo Club, Dance Band, Pep Band, and wind ensemble. In 2011, there are nine different groups in the Band Association: concert band, jazz band, wind ensemble, pep band, and orchestra, as well as blues/rock, rock, fusion, and electronic ensembles.
Dates: 1959-2006 (bulk 1967-1979)
Overview The Barnett Institute of Chemical Analysis and Materials Science was established at Northeastern University in 1973 as the Institute of Chemical Analysis, Applications and Forensic Science. It was founded by Barry Karger and Bill Giessen, professors of chemistry; Norman Rosenblatt, Dean of the College of Criminal Justice; and Karl Weiss, Chair of the Chemistry Department, with a grant from the United States Department of Justice. The Institute spearheaded graduate education and research in...
Dates: 1978-2004 (bulk 1992-2004)
Overview The Boston School of Physical Education was founded in 1913. Co-founder Marjorie Bouvé became the first director. In 1925, citing differences with the corporation, Bouvé resigned from the Boston School of Physical Education and opened the Bouvé School, Incorporated. In 1930, the Boston School of Physical Education and the Bouvé School merged to form the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education with Marjorie Bouvé as the director. In 1930, the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education...
Dates: 1885-2011 (bulk 1925-1970)
Overview In 1939, Northeastern University (NU) became the first private institution in the country to found a Bureau of Business Research. The Bureau was created to "...make studies and conduct research into the problems of New England business development, expansion of the New England market for New England industry...and investigations into special problems of individual business concerns..." (NU Review, Nov/Dec. 1939, Vol. 1, No. 2). The Bureau began under the guidance of Dr. Asa S. Knowles, then...
Overview Born in Indiana in 1899, Byron K. Elliott was a member of the Northeastern University Corporation from 1954 to 1996 and Board of Trustees from 1955 to 1972. In 1959, he became Chair of the Corporation and the Board of Trustees, and served as such until 1971. In 1963, Elliott also co-developed the Graduate School of Actuarial Science at Northeastern University with Harold A. Garabedian and Asa S. Knowles. Byron K. Elliott earned a Bachelor's degree from Indiana University in 1920 and a law...
Unprocessed — Box 1: [39358015475756,TRF119719813]
Overview Plans for Northeastern University's centennial celebration began in 1990. In 1992, the plans formally took shape under the direction of NU President John A. Curry, assistant director of University Relations Barbara Burke and History Department Chair William M. Fowler. The planning ultimately spanned nine years and culminated with a large celebration that included a concert by the Boston Pops and an appearance by actress Shirley Jones, who is best known for her starring role in the 1970s sitcom...
Dates: 1990-1998 (bulk 1992-1997)
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) Center for Continuing Education (CCE) offered a variety of credit and non-credit evening classes for students and professionals. The Office of Adult and Continuing Education (OACE) opened in 1960 under the direction of Dr. Albert E. Everett. OACE was comprised of four departments: Bureau of Business and Industrial Training, Special Programs in Cooperation with Civic Groups, Special Programs in Cooperation with Professional and Trade Groups, and State-of-the-Art...
Overview The Office for the Support of Effective Teaching was created in 1989, with the goal of improving the effectiveness of professors in the classroom. At its inception, the office focused on improving course and teacher evaluations, faculty portfolios, and classroom skills through brochures, handbooks and workshops. In 1994, further improvement in undergraduate teaching was discussed in several roundtable forums which resulted in more funding for faculty to attend conferences, tenure decisions...
Overview The Center was established in 1976 to house the research files of Asa Knowles' International Encyclopedia of Higher Education. As part of the internationalization of Northeastern, it served as a hub for international activities, arranging conferences on global topics and hosting foreign visitors. The Center conducted research on topics such as the role of multinational corporations in foreign education, the status of women in academics, and an international survey of cooperative education...
Dates: 1966-1986 (bulk 1977-1985)
Dates: ca. 1979-2014
Unprocessed — Box 1: [39358015479279,TRF119719932]
Overview The first non-denominational Northeastern University chapel service for students was held in 1927. The position of Dean of Chapel was established in 1940, and the Bacon Memorial Chapel was erected in the student center in 1947. After 1960, when NU President Asa Knowles lifted the ban against denominational religious groups on campus, religious life at NU began to flourish. In 1966, the volunteer chaplains formed the Chaplain's Association to help support the administrative aspects of religious...
Dates: 1961-2012 (bulk 1977-2010)
Overview Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Sport in Society (CSSS) was founded by Richard Lapchick in 1984 to increase awareness of sports and their relation to society, and to explore the use of sports in bringing about positive social change. As one of its first projects to reform high school and college sports, in 1985 CSSS established the National Consortium for Academics and Sports to advocate for a balance between academics and athletics. CSSS's programs later addressed more...
Dates: 1978-2003 (1985-1998 bulk)
Overview On June 19, 1993 Northeastern University (NU) held its 91st commencement ceremony at the Boston Garden in the North End. The morning ceremony featured the recently inaugurated President William Jefferson Clinton (WJC) as the commencement speaker. WJC, who was the 42nd President of the United States (1993-2001), received an honorary Doctorate of Public Service at the ceremony. NU began courting WJC soon after his inauguration on January 20, 1993. Leading NU's efforts was Tom Keady, NU's...
Overview The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is one of the Basic Day Colleges that makes up Northeastern University (NU). It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in the arts, humanities, social sciences, mathematics, and natural sciences. Headed by a dean, CAS is organized by academic department, interdisciplinary program, or center for specialized study. The dean has responsibility for managing educational policy, faculty issues, student services, and budgeting, and often delegates these...
Dates: 1924-2002 (bulk 1965-1992)
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) College of Business Administration was established in 1922 as a conventional four-year program leading to the Baccalaureate Degree in Science. It was the second day college at NU. In 1924, the college adapted its programs of instruction to the five-year Cooperative Education Plan. In 1960, NU's evening School of Business merged with the day College of Business Administration. The evening program began in 1907 as the School of Commerce and Finance of the Greater...
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) College of Computer Science (CCS) was the first college in the United States devoted exclusively to computer science. Despite the vigorous protest of NU's engineering faculty, NU's Faculty Senate resolved to establish the CCS in April 1982, and the Board of Trustees approved the CCS in June 1982. The CCS linked the theoretical approaches taught in the Dept. of Mathematics in the College of Arts and Sciences with the practical approaches taught in the College of...
Overview Northeastern University (NU) established the College of Criminal Justice (CCJ) in 1967 to provide professional training and support study and research in the administration of criminal justice. CCJ emerged from the University College's Department of Law Enforcement and Security, which was founded in 1961 and offered part-time baccalaureate and associate degree programs. Initially designed to prepare students for careers in law enforcement, CCJ's academic program has expanded to include course...
Overview The Northeastern University's (NU) College of Engineering was founded in 1909, when the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA began to offer day courses in engineering. In 1920, the Massachusetts Legislature authorized NU to grant bachelor of engineering degrees in chemical, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering. Between 1939 and 1941, all programs gained accreditation by the Engineer's Council for Professional Development. By 1960, the College had become the largest undergraduate...
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) College of Nursing opened in 1964 with two programs: a three-year cooperative associate degree program and a five-year cooperative bachelor's degree program. The program was supported by Massachusetts General, Beth Israel, and Children's hospitals. The college's associate degree program was accredited in 1968 and the bachelor's degree program in 1972. Answering the demand for continuing education opportunities, the College of Nursing established a Licensed...
Overview Records of the Northeastern University Commencement Committee document commencement ceremonies between 1912 and 2002. The first series documents eligible degree candidates and is restricted. The second series contains information about Northeastern University commencement ceremonies, including planning and publicity efforts, the students who were in the ceremonies, and the individuals who received honorary degrees and gave addresses. Included are scattered commencement addresses, particularly...
Overview The Committee on the Status of Women at Northeastern University (NU) was founded in the spring of 1985 to explore issues of concern to full-time female employees. Decision Research Corporation conducted the survey called Women Working at NU and compiled its results. The surveys were sent out in May 1986 to all full-time female employees at NU. Recommendations based on the survey were sent to the Executive Vice President John Curry on October 6, 1986 and then released to the Northeastern...
Overview Northeastern University was incorporated in 1916 as the Northeastern College of the Young Men's Christian Association. In its first two decades, at least two-thirds of Northeastern University's Corporation members were directors of the Greater Boston Y.M.C.A. The Board of Trustees of the Endowment Funds was established in 1924. In 1927, it became the Board of Trustees of the Permanent Funds, but disbanded in 1932. On January 22, 1937 the Corporation founded the Northeastern University Board of...
Overview Northeastern University's Office of University Advancement was established in 1959 and includes the division of Corporations and Foundations, which promotes capital gifts and grants from corporations, foundations, and other organizations. Its efforts have resulted in funding for new buildings, expanded academic offerings, professorships, and scholarships at Northeastern University.
Scope and Content Note The collection includes minutes of the Committee's meetings and interim reports which are interfiled chronologically. Both document various personal petitions, scholastic and disciplinary probation sentences, withdrawal petitions, and hearings for rescheduling exams.
Overview The Northeastern University Deaf Club existed in an unofficial capacity during the fall semester of 1990, and it became an officially recognized special interest organization in the spring semester of 1991. The mission of the Deaf Club was to provide support to deaf and hearing impaired students in their academic pursuits, promote awareness of the deaf community, help deaf and hearing impaired students acclimate to the Northeastern campus, and provide a social forum for deaf and hearing...
Overview Northeastern University's Office of Admissions formed in 1927 under director Milton John Schlagenhauf, replacing a Committee on Admissions. Enrollment increased drastically after World War II, from 3,623 students in 1944 to 10,671 in 1947, and it steadily increased each succeeding year. Northeastern University made a concerted effort to recruit students and provide scholarships to those who could not afford college. In 1960, an Associate Director of Admissions was hired in response to the...
Overview The Department of Afro-American Studies was created in 1973 by the College of Liberal Arts in response to the demands of Northeastern's African American students and a nation-wide trend towards the foundation of ethnic studies departments. During the 1970s, the Department worked to establish itself and appeal to a wide range of student interests by offering classes on the African American experience in literature, art, music, history, politics, and film. The Department worked co-operatively...
Overview In 1921, Northeastern University's (NU) Department of Student Activities was established, with divisions of Publications, Athletics and Miscellaneous Activities. In 1924, athletic participation in six sports at NU was formalized, with requirements for eligibility, letter awards, and other phases of intercollegiate competition. From 1929 to 1953, Edward Parsons was Director of Student Activities, with the later title of Director of Health, Physical Training and Student Activities. In 1953,...
Unprocessed — Box 1: [39358015478487,TRF119719973]
Dates: ca. 1999-2010
Overview Wayne Anderson, a lecturer in the Northeastern University Department of History, introduced the oral history program as an independent study course at the graduate level in 1977. From 1977 to 1990, Anderson and his students participated in a variety of oral history projects, which generally focused on themes of regional interest. For example, between 1978 and 1990, projects included interviews with Massachusetts residents regarding the following topics: a race-related shooting within a...
Overview In the spring of 1998 and the spring of 1999, students in HST 4263, an oral history class offered by Northeastern University's University College, completed oral history projects as part of the course curriculum. Taught by Susan Keats, the course introduced students to oral history techniques such as planning, interviewing, auditing, editing, and transcribing. In 2003, University College stopped offering HST 4263. Oral history is now covered as a topic in Public History. Susan Keats received a...
Overview Northeastern University offers an undergraduate minor in Latino, Latin American and Caribbean Studies, an interdisciplinary course of study in history, music, political science, language, and sociology/anthropology. History 1537, "Latin American and the Caribbean in Boston," is one of five undergraduate history courses offered in the program. In 1998, the class was taught by Felix V. Matos Rodriguez, assistant professor of history, 1994-1999, and interim director of the Northeastern University...
Unprocessed — Multiple Containers
Overview The Northeastern University Department of Music began as part of the Department of Drama, Speech and Music in 1958 and became an independent department in 1966-1967. The music curriculum was originally a non-major program for professional musicians who desired theoretical training. In 1982, a BA in Music Literature became available. By 1989, the Department began collaborating with the New England Conservatory to offer a Music Industry major, and by 1992, music history courses were included in...
Overview Northeastern University's Department of Rehabilitation and Special Education was formed in 1966 as a result of the growing need for specialized educators. The Vocational Rehabilitation Administration Regional Research Institute at Northeastern University and rehabilitation-related academic degree programs were combined to form the Department within the College of Education. Under the first director, Dr. Reuben J. Margolin, the Department trained educators of children with learning, emotional,...
Dates: 1956-1977 (bulk 1967-1976)
Overview Northeastern University (NU) opened its first dormitory at 428 Marlborough St. in 1950. By 1967, NU had opened nine new residence halls, housing over 2,000 students; by 2001, over 4,100 students lived in NU resident halls. NU's Department of Residential Life was created in 1962 as the Office of Student Housing. It became known as the Department of Residential Life in 1987. The office was headed by both a dean of men and a dean of women until 1970, when it was replaced by a director of...
Overview The Department of Theatre is part of the College of Arts, Media, and Design and was formerly part of the Division of Performing and Visual Arts. In the mid-1980s, the director of the Department steered it toward productions that would add to Boston's performance culture rather than duplicate what was already being performed. As a result, the department collaborated with a number of innovative local companies, including the Boston Theater of the Deaf, and Northeastern's Silver Masque, a...
Overview The Department of Women's Athletics began when the Department of Physical Education split into separate men's and women's departments in 1965. It existed as such until 1972 when the departments merged to meet with Boston-Bouvé's stipulation at the time of its merger with Northeastern that the college be coeducational. The Department of Women's Athletics experienced great expansion between 1970 and 1989, developing programs in basketball, field hockey, lacrosse, skiing, swimming and diving,...