Skip to main content

Office of University Development records

 Collection
Identifier: A010

Scope and Content Note

The records of the Office of University Development [OUD] consist of correspondence, memoranda, newspaper clippings, newsletters, brochures, flyers, reports, scrapbooks, and films.  The records are arranged alphabetically within three series.

Series I. Senior Vice President for Development is divided into two subseries, A. Richard Meyer and B. Eugene Reppucci. The materials include material relating to the Century Fund and Centennial Campaign. The Leadership Campaign planning is largely documented under Vice President Richard Meyer. The notes in Reppucci's materials include memos sent and received within the Northeastern University community, reports on donation recruitment trips, and notes taken during office staff meetings. This series also consists of extensive correspondence with Northeastern University administrative offices, such as the Office of the President. Of note are the Chronological Files, which document correspondence with OUD and potential and previous donors, and meeting minutes and reports generated during the Senior Vice President's meetings with staff.

Series II. Administration consists of files relating to the daily operations of the Development Office. Included are alumni lists, campaign planning and marketing material, campaign publications, and Northeastern Fund records, which include nine account books that were maintained by the Alumni Office before its fundraising activities were transferred to the OUD in 1959.  These records list names of contributors and pledge amounts towards specific funds.

General Publications in Series II. includes fundraising materials that were published before the inception of the OUD.  Most of these publications are not campaign-specific.  Of special interest is the report, "An Opportunity for Permanent Investment," which was prepared by Northeastern in 1931 when the University was affiliated with the Boston Y.M.C.A.; this report presents the University's early goals, programs, and outstanding needs.

Materials from the DADP, The Century Fund, and the Centennial Campaign include information regarding financial goals, fundraising methods, and assessment of the University's needs, activities, and accomplishments.  The newsletters "Developments" and "The Centennial Campaign News," publications of the OUD, provide updates on the fundraising campaigns' solicitation efforts and achievements.

The National Council, a NU leadership committee, was founded in 1964 to promote an effective relationship among the University, its alumni, and the local community, to conduct activities that would strengthen the University's services, and to assist NU in adding to its financial resources.  Members of the council include distinguished alumni, corporation members, and members of NU faculty and administration.

In 1939 and 1982, Northeastern hired outside consultants for fundraising advice and planning. Their reports analyzed the University's strengths, needs, goals, weaknesses, and fundraising potential and they provided recommendations and strategies for raising money.

Series III. Media includes a video promoting a campaign to raise money for new buildings for the Evening School of Law and for the Evening School of Commerce and Finance, ca. 1920. This recording, which is approximately five minutes long, is a copy of a 16mm silent, black and white film transfer of a 35mm film.  The VHS and 16mm copies are included in the collection. The series also contains a 25-minute video recording of a 16mm sound movie, "Another Milestone in the Telechron History."  The recording, which was produced by the Warren Telecom Company in 1943, celebrates the retirement of the Company's President and founder, Henry Ellis Warren, the inventor of the electric clock.  In 1963, Warren's widow, Edith, donated part of her late husband's property in Ashland, Massachusetts to Northeastern, which used the land to develop the Warren Center, a conference center and inn.

Of note are two oversize volumes of "The Great Book of the Library," containing autograph cards of donors who contributed the library building fund in 1952.

Dates

  • 1920-2001

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access:

Records are closed for 25 years from the date of their creation, unless researchers have written permission from the creating office. Records designated as restricted in the finding aid are closed for 75 years from the date of their creation.

Historical Note

On September 1, 1959, Asa S. Knowles, Northeastern's third President, created the Office of University Development [OUD] to increase Northeastern's resources through fundraising activities and campaigns.  These activities include Planned Giving, which encourages bequests, annuities, trusts, and life income agreements; Corporation and Foundations, which promotes capital gifts and grants from corporations, foundations, and other organizations; Alumni and Friends, which manages donations from former students and other individuals; and Annual Giving, which promotes a yearly fund drive to solicit donations from former students.

The OUD works closely with the Office of Alumni Relations on alumni solicitation endeavors.  These two offices jointly sponsor recognition programs, such as the Husky Associates, the Huntington Society, the Frank Palmer Speare Society, and the Century Club, to acknowledge individual contributors, alumni supporters, and corporate benefactors. The Huntington Society, which recognizes members' contributions of $25,000 or more over a five-year period, and the Frank Palmer Speare Society, which honors those who planned donations to NU through bequests, were both created during the Century Fund – Phase II campaign. The Husky Associates is comprised of individuals who contribute $250 to $499 annually, and the Century Club recognizes donors of $100 to $249.

Since the inception of the OUD, Northeastern has launched four major fundraising campaigns: the Diamond Anniversary Development Program [DADP] (1961-1973), the Century Fund (1980-1991), the Centennial Campaign (1991-1998), and the Leadership Campaign (2001-2006).  The goals of these campaigns were to meet the educational needs of Northeastern's expanding constituency and to reach the University's highest potential in service, programs, and leadership through expanding the physical plant, improving existing facilities, enhancing academic programs, promoting scholarly and scientific research, creating additional scholarships and endowments, and improving the level of teaching.

The DADP and the Century Fund exceeded their original financial goals; the DADP raised over $65 million, more than its $43 million goal, and the Century Fund surpassed its $175 million mark by soliciting more than $180 million.  The accomplishments of the DADP include developing 50 new academic programs; creating four new colleges and three professional schools; opening nine new academic facilities, a student center, and three new dormitories; establishing branch campuses in Weston, Burlington, Ashland, and Nahant; and extending cooperative education services.  Some of the funds raised from the Century Fund campaign were used towards constructing nine new facilities, creating a satellite campus in Dedham, and constructing the Snell Library.  In addition, major renovations on existing facilities were made.

The Centennial Campaign, which was officially launched in 1991, opened its fundraising program to the public in 1994 to achieve its $225 million goal.  The objectives of the campaign included maintaining student, faculty, and program operations; renovating the Science Research Center and the Matthews Arena; and constructing a new classroom building and the Marino Recreation Center.

In 2001 the new Office of Institutional Advancement (A90) unified the Office of University Development and the Office of Alumni Relations under a single supervisory head in order to better utilize the planning and resources of both offices. The Vice President for Development position now exists under the name of Senior Vice President of Institutional Advancement.

Chronology

  • 1959-1960 Milton J. Schlagenhauf, Director of Development
  • 1960-1965 F. Weston Prior, Director of Development
  • 1965-1969 Jack Bohlen, Vice President for Development
  • 1970-1995 Eugene Reppucci, Senior Vice President for Development
  • 1995-2001 Richard Meyer, Senior Vice President for Development
1959-1960
Milton J. Schlagenhauf, Director of Development
1960-1965
F. Weston Prior, Director of Development
1965-1969
Jack Bohlen, Vice President for Development
1970-1995
Eugene Reppucci, Senior Vice President for Development
1995-2001
Richard Meyer, Senior Vice President for Development

Extent

33.65 cubic feet (45 containers)

Overview

Asa S. Knowles, Northeastern University's (NU) third president, created the Office of University Development (OUD) in 1959 to increase NU's resources through fundraising activities and campaigns. These activities include Planned Giving, which encourages bequests, annuities, trusts, and life income agreements; Corporation and Foundations, which promotes capital gifts and grants from corporations, foundations, and other organizations; Alumni and Friends, which manages donations from former students and other individuals; and Annual Giving, which promotes a yearly fund drive to solicit donations from former students. The OUD also works closely with the Office of Alumni Relations on alumni solicitation. These two offices jointly sponsor recognition programs, such as the Husky Associates, the Huntington Society, the Frank Palmer Speare Society, and the Century Club, to acknowledge individual contributors, alumni supporters, and corporate benefactors. Since the inception of the OUD, Northeastern has launched four major fundraising campaigns: The Diamond Anniversary Development Program (1961-1973), the Century Fund (1980-1991), the Centennial Campaign (1991-1998), and the Leadership Campaign (2001-2006).

Overview

The records of Northeastern University's (NU) Office of University Development (OUD) documents the university's activities in developing alumni relationships and fundraising planning and campaigns. Materials consist of correspondence, memoranda, newspaper clippings, newsletters, brochures, flyers, reports, scrapbooks, films, and video tapes. Documents from the Diamond Anniversary Development Program, the Century Fund, the Centennial Campaign, and the Leadership Campaign include information regarding financial goals, fund-raising methods, and assessment of NU's needs, activities, and accomplishments. Newsletters and publications of the OUD provide updates on the fund-raising campaigns' solicitation efforts and achievements. Of special interest is a film (ca. 1920) that seeks to raise money for new buildings for the Evening School of Law and the Evening School of Commerce and Finance. The collection also includes records of two Vice Presidents for Development, Reppucci and Meyer. The files of Eugene Reppucci and Richard Meyer contain information relating to the planning of the Leadership Campaign, correspondence with NU offices, and alumni relations programs, activities, and donations. In addition, the collection contains records documenting fund raising before the inception of the OUD, including account books from the Alumni Office and general fund-raising publications.

System of Arrangement:

Organized into 3 series: 1. Senior Vice President for Development; 2. Administration; 3. Media.

Physical Location

23/1, 32/4, 33/1, 35/1

Bibliography

  • Frederick, Antoinette. "Northeastern University: An Emerging Giant: 1959-1975." Boston: Northeastern University Custom Book Program, c1982.  CALL NUMBER: LD4011.N22F7X (available in the Archives and general collection).
  • Frederick, Antoinette. "Northeastern University, Coming of Age: The Ryder Years, 1975-1989." Boston: Northeastern University, c1995. CALL NUMBER: 4011.N22F732 (available in the Archives and general collection).
Title
Finding aid for the Office of University Development Records
Author
Finding aid prepared by Abigail Cramer
Date
August 2011
Language of description
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Northeastern University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
92 Snell Library
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115 US