Skip to main content

Boston-Bouvé College records

 Collection
Identifier: M041

Scope and Content Note

The collection documents the Boston-Bouvé College's founding, physical education and physical therapy curriculum, student activities and traditions, and existence as an independent, affiliated, and merged institution. The collection contains a wide array of print and non-print material that provides information about the administrative and financial activities of the school, student organizations, athletics, and course content. The records provide information about the school itself, and the historical context of the developing fields of physical therapy and physical education, fields in which women were pioneers.

The collection contains a small amount of material about the Boston-Bouvé College's history created after the merger in 1980 and material that documents Boston-Bouvé College alumnae and faculty after 1977. The collection also includes records detailing the agreement made between Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education and Posse after the later closed and some Posse photographs and memorabilia. The collection also includes records detailing the planning, funding, construction, and dedication of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professionals portion of the Mugar Life Sciences Building in the early 1960s.

Dates

  • 1885-2011 (bulk 1925-1970)

Creator

Language of Materials

This collection is entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access:

Personnel and student records (box 1, folder 1; box 4, folder 7; box 8, folder 7; box 16, folder 15; box 18, folders 4-6, 11-12; box 19, folders 1-2; box 24, folders 1-3, 5) are restricted for 75 years from date of creation.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use:

Copyright restrictions may apply.

Historical Note

In 1913 seven women founded the Boston School of Physical Education after their alma mater, the Boston Normal School of Gymnastics, merged with Wellesley College. Founders Bessie Barnes, Caroline Baxter, Marjorie Bouvé, Marguerite Sanderson, Grace Shepardson, Mary Florence Stratton, and Miriam Tobey wanted to ensure Boston's ability to offer a two-year teacher training program for women similar to their own training.

Co-founder Marjorie Bouvé became the Boston School of Physical Education's first director in 1913. After disagreements with the corporation in 1925 however, Bouvé resigned from the Boston School of Physical Education and opened the Bouvé School, Incorporated, also a school of physical education. By 1929 the Boston School of Physical Education was experiencing financial difficulties, and in 1930 the two schools merged to form the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education with Bouvé as its director.

Although the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education had begun strictly as a physical education school, it quickly incorporated the developing field of physical therapy into its curriculum. During World War I, the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education offered short courses to train reconstruction aides, and by 1925 a separate physical therapy department had been created and students could choose to focus their studies on either physical education or physical therapy.

In 1930 the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education affiliated with Simmons College to enable students to complete a fourth year of classes and earn a B.S. in education. This affiliation lasted until 1942 when the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education affiliated with Tufts University. By 1945 all Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education students earned degrees from Tufts. In 1942 the Posse School Institute, Inc. (Posse), another Massachusetts school of physical education, closed its doors. Posse and the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education made an agreement whereby 18 of Posse's students completed their training at the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education.

In the early 1960s, it became clear that Tufts' and Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education's missions were no longer compatible, so in 1964 the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education merged with Northeastern University becoming the coeducational Boston-Bouvé College of Northeastern University. In 1980 the Boston-Bouvé College merged with Northeastern's College of Education to form the Boston-Bouvé College of Human Development Professions. In 1992 the school merged with the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions and continues at Northeastern University as the Bouvé College of Health Sciences.

In the mid-1990s, the College strengthened its focus on interdisciplinary learning and the co-op experience. Several programs, including physical education and recreation management, were eliminated and the graduate programs in counseling and school psychology were combined. Bouvé faculty received grants from both inside and outside the University to pursue research and classroom development in their fields. In 1997, Bouvé College merged with the College of Nursing, becoming one of three schools that make up Bouvé College along with Health Professions and Pharmacy. In 1999, the College of Nursing launched the first perioperative nurse training program in Massachusetts. In 2000, the University broke ground for a new health sciences center and, in 2002, the school started a new graduate level program in geriatrics and moved into the new George D. Behrakis Health Sciences Center.

Chronology

  • 1913 Boston School of Physical Education founded; Marjorie Bouvé named first director
  • 1925 Marjorie Bouvé leaves Boston School; founds the Bouvé School, Incorporated
  • 1930 Boston School of Physical Education and Bouvé School, Inc. merge to form Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education; Marjorie Bouvé named director
  • 1930 Bouvé-Boston School affiliates with Simmons College to provide students with fourth year and a B.S. in education
  • 1942 Bouvé-Boston School ends affiliation with Simmons College; affiliates with Tufts University to grant degrees; Posse School Institute, Inc. students merge with Bouvé-Boston School
  • 1964 Bouvé-Boston School merges with Northeastern University, becoming Boston-Bouvé College
  • 1980 Boston-Bouvé College merges with the College of Education, becoming the Boston-Bouvé College of Human Development Professions
  • 1992 Boston-Bouvé College of Human Development Professions merges with the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, becoming the Bouvé College of Health Sciences
  • 1997 The College of Nursing becomes part of Bouvé College
  • 1999 Name change to Bouvé College of Health Sciences becomes official
  • 2002 Bouvé College moves into the George D. Behrakis Health Sciences Center
1913
Boston School of Physical Education founded; Marjorie Bouvé named first director
1925
Marjorie Bouvé leaves Boston School; founds the Bouvé School, Incorporated
1930
Boston School of Physical Education and Bouvé School, Inc. merge to form Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education; Marjorie Bouvé named director
1930
Bouvé-Boston School affiliates with Simmons College to provide students with fourth year and a B.S. in education
1942
Bouvé-Boston School ends affiliation with Simmons College; affiliates with Tufts University to grant degrees; Posse School Institute, Inc. students merge with Bouvé-Boston School
1964
Bouvé-Boston School merges with Northeastern University, becoming Boston-Bouvé College
1980
Boston-Bouvé College merges with the College of Education, becoming the Boston-Bouvé College of Human Development Professions
1992
Boston-Bouvé College of Human Development Professions merges with the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, becoming the Bouvé College of Health Sciences
1997
The College of Nursing becomes part of Bouvé College
1999
Name change to Bouvé College of Health Sciences becomes official
2002
Bouvé College moves into the George D. Behrakis Health Sciences Center

Extent

64.40 cubic feet (140 containers, 17 flat file folders)

Overview

The Boston School of Physical Education was founded in 1913. Co-founder Marjorie Bouvé became the first director. In 1925, citing differences with the corporation, Bouvé resigned from the Boston School of Physical Education and opened the Bouvé School, Incorporated. In 1930, the Boston School of Physical Education and the Bouvé School merged to form the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education with Marjorie Bouvé as the director. In 1930, the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education affiliated with Simmons College, an arrangement that lasted until 1942 when the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education affiliated with Tufts University. In 1964, the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education merged with Northeastern University to form the coeducational Boston-Bouvé College of Northeastern University. In 1980 the Boston-Bouvé College merged with Northeastern University's College of Education to form the Boston-Bouvé College of Human Development Professions. In 1992 the school merged with the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions and continues at Northeastern University as the Bouvé College of Health Sciences.

Overview

The collection documents the Boston-Bouvé College's founding, physical education and physical therapy curriculum, student activities and traditions, and existence as an independent, affiliated, and merged institution. The collection contains a wide array of print and non-print material that provides information about the administrative and financial activities of the school, student organizations, athletics, and course content. The records provide information about the school itself and the developing fields of physical therapy and physical education, in which women were pioneers. In particular, the collection documents Boston-Bouvé College's four most prominent directors and deans: Marjorie Bouvé, Ruth Page Sweet, Minnie L. Lynn, and Catherine L. Allen.

System of Arrangement:

Organized into 9 series: 1. Administrative; 2. Office of the Director/Dean; 3. Physical Therapy Department; 4. Student Organizations and Activities; 5. Teaching; 6. Publications; 7. Personal Material: Faculty, Alumnae, and Corporation; 8. Audio-Visual Material; 9. Realia.

Technical Access:

Film from the Physical Education and Physical Therapy departments is recorded on 8mm film. The archive does not have the equipment to view this format.

Physical Location

42/1, 67/4, 68/1-3, 72/4, 56/2, 55/3, FF1/D7

Accruals:

Further accruals are expected.

Bibliography

  • Feldscher, Karen. Northeastern University, 1989-1996 The Curry Years: Smaller but Better. Boston: Northeastern University Publications, 2000. CALL NUMBER: LD4011.N22F45 2000

Creator

Title
Finding aid for the Boston-Bouvé College Records
Author
Finding aid prepared by Rachel Keegan; updated by Hanna Clutterbuck; updated by Irina Tsiklik; updated by Anna J. Cook; updated by Migyeong Geum; updated by Kieran McGhee
Date
September 1999, July 2009, August 2009, May 2010, December 2010, October 2012, July 2015
Language of description
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Northeastern University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
92 Snell Library
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115 US