Record Group Term
Found in 31 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) is a nonprofit organization of individuals, institutions, and companies dedicated to improving all aspects of engineering education. At present, the American Society for Engineering Education has over 40 councils, divisions, and committees spanning a variety of regions, engineering disciplines, and interests. It was founded in 1893 as the Society for the Promotion of Engineering Education (SPEE). One of many areas in which this organization...
Dates: 1944-2002 (bulk 1960-1992)
Overview The Armed Services Young Men's Christian Association is a non-profit organization providing support services such as childcare, hospital assistance, food services, temporary housing for homeless families, training classes, and health and fitness services to members of the military, their families, and local civilian communities. The Boston Armed Services YMCA was founded in 1917, by eight local men with an interest in military support work. With funds raised by the community, a Boston Armed...
Dates: 1917-2003 (bulk 1975-2003)
Overview Asa S. Knowles (1909-1990) was President of the Associated Colleges of Upper New York (1946-1948), Vice-President of University Development at Cornell University (1948-1951), President of the University of Toledo (1951-1958), and President, later Chancellor, at Northeastern University (1959-1981). He was also on the board of directors of Shawmut Bank of Boston, N.A. from 1961 to 1989(?) and on the board of directors of Shawmut Corporation from 1965 to 1989(?). Knowles wrote a history of Shawmut...
Dates: 1836-1990 (bulk 1920-1983)
Overview The Boston School of Physical Education was founded in 1913. Co-founder Marjorie Bouvé became the first director. In 1925, citing differences with the corporation, Bouvé resigned from the Boston School of Physical Education and opened the Bouvé School, Incorporated. In 1930, the Boston School of Physical Education and the Bouvé School merged to form the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education with Marjorie Bouvé as the director. In 1930, the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education...
Dates: 1885-2011 (bulk 1925-1970)
Overview Until its closure in 2003, the Boston Guild for the Hard of Hearing (BGHH) was the largest nonprofit organization in New England dedicated to serving the needs of people with hearing impairment. Founded in 1916 as the Speechreader's Guild of Boston by Mildred Kennedy, Anna L. Staples, and Clara M. Ziegler, BGHH initially provided educational and recreational services out of rented rooms in Jefferson Hall in Trinity Court, Copley Square. As membership grew, BGHH purchased a larger facility at...
Overview The Boston School of Dental Nursing was incorporated in 1940 as a non-profit organization. The Boston School of Dental Nursing offered women a one-year program in dental nursing that combined classroom education with on-the-job training at the Boston State Hospital and other local facilities. Day and evening instruction were available. The first class graduated 45 women, and enrollment remained small, but steady, throughout the 1940s and 1950s. The board also operated the Boston School of...
Unprocessed — Box 1: [39358015480095,TRF119719777]
Overview The first clubhouse of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Boston (BGCB) was founded in Charlestown in 1893. The club was meant to be a refuge and alternative space for young boys whose home life and education were not conducive to their development into productive citizens. Over a century later, the BGCB serves more than 8,000 urban youths, largely from disadvantaged circumstances, in its five clubhouses in Charlestown, Chelsea, Dorchester, Roxbury and South Boston. In 1981, girls were admitted to all...
Dates: 1893-2004 (bulk 1950's-1980's)
Overview Carl Stephens Ell was the second President of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. He was born in Staunton, Indiana on November 14, 1887, son of Jacob and Alice (Stephens) Ell. His education included an A.B. in 1909 from DePauw University, a S.B. in 1911 and M.S. in 1912 in Civil Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an Ed.M. in 1932 from Harvard University. He married Etta May Kinnear on June 10, 1913 and had one daughter, Dorothy. He began teaching at...
Overview In 1972, Mary Ellen Smith, Hubert Jones, Francis Parkman, Clyde Miller and other citizens, parents, and community activists met to find a way to participate in the process of choosing a superintendent of the Boston Public Schools. The Coalition sought input from large numbers of neighborhood residents and organizations to help develop "Community Agenda for the Boston Public Schools," an outline of questions and issues to use during the interview process. Although unsuccessful in choosing a...
Overview Dana C. Chandler, Jr., noted African American artist, activist, and educator, was born in Lynn, Mass. in 1941. He was educated in Boston Public Schools, and earned a B.S. in Teacher Education from the Massachusetts College of Art. Chandler participated in the black integrationist movement since his high school years. Chandler joined the black nationalist movement in the 1960s, after witnessing police brutality against a group of peaceful welfare protestors. Chandler has used his art to educate...
Dates: 1973-1991 (bulk 1977-1979)
Unprocessed — Multiple Containers
Dates: ca. 1943-2004
Overview Founded by Elma Lewis in 1950, the Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts was established to meet the social, cultural, and artistic needs of Boston's African American community. Lewis's goal was to foster the arts, not only in the local Roxbury-Dorchester community, but also in the African American community at large. The Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts offered education in art, dance, drama, music, and costuming to pre-school children, school-aged children and adults.
Overview In 1976, a group of parents living in Villa Victoria in the South End met to discuss the need for day care in their neighborhood. These parents, who were in the process of becoming economically self-sufficient, established Escuelita Agueybana, the first bilingual day care center in Massachusetts to serve primarily Hispanic children and their families. With funding from the City of Boston Public Welfare Department and Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción (IBA) acting as its fiscal agent, the center...
Overview Born in Ilion, New York, F. Andre Favat (FAF) earned his A.B. from the State University of New York at Albany in 1959 and received his master's and doctoral degrees in education from Harvard University. In 1969 he joined Northeastern University as assistant professor of English education in the Department of Instruction. He became an associate professor in 1972. As a member of Northeastern University's faculty, FAF was the chair of the Undergraduate and Curriculum Committee and the coordinator...
Overview Frank Palmer Speare (FPS), the first president of Northeastern University (NU), was a leading figure in the field of education. During his 43 years at NU, the institution developed from a small school to one of the nation's largest private universities. FPS was born in Dorchester, Massachusetts on March 31, 1869. He graduated from Bridgewater State Teachers' College in 1889. From 1896 to 1916 he served as the Educational Director of the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA. In 1916 the...
Unprocessed — Box 1: [39358015477968,TRF119719908]
Dates: n.d., 2003
Unprocessed — Multiple Containers
Dates: 1940-1993-(bulk 1950s)
Overview Mechanical engineer Israel Katz devoted much of his career to educating present and future engineers. He spent 25 years at Northeastern University as a student, administrator, and faculty member. Katz entered Northeastern in 1937 after graduating from the Boston Trade School and earned a Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering with honors in 1941. After obtaining additional engineering degrees at MIT and Cornell University, he remained at Cornell as a staff member, devoting some...
Overview Metropolitan Council for Educational Opportunity, Incorporated (METCO, Inc.) is a private nonprofit organization founded in 1966 to eliminate racial imbalance by busing children from Boston and Springfield to suburban public schools in 38 suburban communities. The program was created more than three decades ago by educational collaborators, parents, and suburban citizens from metropolitan Boston and Boston's suburbs as a voluntary desegregation program. Its mission is "to provide, through...
Dates: 1961-2005 (bulk 1966-1995)
Unprocessed — Multiple Containers
Overview In 1927, Constantine Meriano founded the Meriano School of Pharmacy in Boston. The institution was officially incorporated in 1940 as the Boston School of Pharmacy. In 1941, the Board of Trustees initiated a four-year curriculum, and in 1943 the Massachusetts Legislature authorized the Trustees to grant the degree of Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy. Students enrolled in a rigorous academic program that included course work in anatomy, biology, chemistry, pharmacy, physics, business, law, and...
Overview Norman G. Miclette was born on July 31, 1927 in Watertown, Connecticut. He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion, having served the United States Army in Korea. He attended both the Harvard Business School and the Evening School of Business at Northeastern University in the 1950's. His studies at Harvard 1952-1955 focused on business and personnel management, and 1956-1958 he studied the traffic management industry at Northeastern. While studying at...
Dates: 1952 - 1958
Overview Robert B. MacGregor graduated from Northeastern University's College of Engineering in 1947. MacGregor was an industrial engineering major and a Lieutenant in the United States Naval Reserve from 1942-1946, as well as a member of the Camera Club.
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) role in the Urban Schools Collaborative began in August 1975 when U.S. District Court Judge W. Arthur Garrity, Jr. ordered the desegregation of Boston's schools. The Court mandate called for 21 universities to assist in providing equal educational opportunity for all Boston Public School children. Under NU President Asa S. Knowles, who chaired the first Steering Committee of the Phase II Desegregation effort, NU was paired with District 7 schools and the planned...
Unprocessed — Box 1: [39358015478511,TRF119719807]
Dates: ca. 1935-1985
Overview The Women's School was established in 1971 by 20 women who were involved with the Women's Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The school was founded as an alternative source of feminist education, and its ideologies were based on socialist feminism. The school was operated by a collective and classes were taught by volunteers. All collective members, students and teachers were women. Registration fees were kept low so that all women would be able to participate. In 1973, the collective...
Overview Yoel Camayd-Freixas was a social psychologist, educator, and community activist for Latino communities in Boston and Miami. Born in Cuba, he lived the majority of his life in Boston, Massachusetts and Miami, Florida. He earned a Ph.D. in Social Psychology from Boston College in 1982. He subsequently worked for Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston Public Schools, and Boston Urban Research and Development Group, and helped to found La Alianza Hispana, the Jamaica Plain Outreach Team, and...
Dates: 1971-2011 (bulk 1983-2005)
Overview The Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Greater Boston was the first YMCA chapter in North America. It was founded in 1851 by Captain Thomas Valentine Sullivan (1800-1859), an American seaman and missionary. He was influenced by the London YMCA and saw the association as an opportunity to provide a "home away from home" for young sailors on shore leave. The Boston chapter promoted evangelical Christianity, the cultivation of Christian sympathy, and the improvement of the spiritual,...
Dates: 1833-2015 (bulk 1851-1980)
Overview In 1941, the West Roxbury Citizen's Association met with the leaders of the YMCA of Greater Boston to try to solve the growing problem of juvenile delinquency in their neighborhood. In 1942, with the help of William MacCormick, West Roxbury had its first YMCA club. Meetings were held wherever they could find the available space: churches, cellars, schools, and playing fields. By 1945, the activities included club meetings, sports, and a day camp for boys in the Blue Hills Reservation. In 2001,...
Dates: 1948-1995 (bulk 1951-1970)