Skip to main content

New England College of Pharmacy records

 Collection
Identifier: M015

Scope and Content Note

The records of the New England College of Pharmacy document the institution's founding and administrative and educational programs from 1939 to 1973. Records include meeting minutes, by-laws, accreditation materials, budget materials, newspaper clippings, student records, faculty information, curriculum materials, publications, correspondence, reports to educational review boards, alumni lists, planning materials, and school seals.

The records within Series I. Corporation and Board of Trustees reflect the decisions of the governing body of the NECP. The records include minutes of the trustees' meetings from 1939-1950 (on microfilm, Box 15) and from 1956-1961; minutes from 1951-1955 are missing. Additionally, this series contains a complete set of by-laws and subsequent amendments.

Series 2. Office of the Dean is the most comprehensive group of records within the collection. The series chronicles the administrative, personnel, and educational functions of the Office of the Dean during the administrations of Meriano and Keagle. The records include accreditation materials, budget materials, class lists, catalogs, correspondence, invitations, photographs, publicity materials, newspaper clippings, and reports to educational review boards, and surveys. The series contains information on course requirements and course work, including catalogs from 1939-43 and 1954-60 (catalogs from 1943-54 are missing), syllabi, and book lists for many classes. The series also contains several publications created by NECP staff, faculty, and students. Included in the publications are several newsletters as well as a complete set of the school's yearbook, Signa, from 1950-1962. Also included within the records of the Office of the Dean are materials relating to faculty and students. Minutes for both faculty committee and faculty council meetings contain detailed information pertaining to the development of the school. Individual faculty files are arranged alphabetically and contain information pertaining to individuals' educational background, professional background, teaching interests, and publishing efforts. Also included in the series are restricted student academic records from 1953 to 1963. Of special interest are the records regarding early affiliation/merger discussions that the NECP entered into with Boston University and Suffolk University (Box 1, Folders 8-11). Also, the series includes correspondence and publicity materials from 1959-1962 that document the school's decision to adopt a trimester calendar (Box 11, Folders 176-178).

Series 3 comprises information pertaining to the NECP Admissions Committee and to acceptance and enrollment procedures. The series contains annual reports on admissions and enrollment from 1952 to 1961 and information on policies for accepting transfer students, correspondence, lists, publications, and student records.

Series 4 contains information on early alumni programs at the NECP. The series contains alumni lists, planning materials for events, and correspondence. Additionally, the records document the planning efforts of the NECP for a long-term capital campaign. Included are correspondence, alumni lists, pamphlets, and publications.

Series 5 contains correspondence between the NECP and commencement speakers usually leaders in the fields of pharmacy and medicine, as well as state legislators and educators. Included in this group are John Enders, Sen. John F. Kennedy, Asa S. Knowles, and Sen. John E. Powers. The series also contains some commencement addresses, photographs of honorary degree recipients and NECP administrators, and biographical data on speakers. The series also contains interoffice correspondence related to commencement planning. Included are addresses, correspondence, lists, photographs, and programs.

Series 6 contains three embossing seals. Two bear the inscription "Boston School of Pharmacy," and one bears the inscription "New England School of Pharmacy" (Box 13).

Dates

  • 1939-1973

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access:

Personnel and student records (box 3, folders 62 and 65; box 4, folders 78, 85, 93, and 101; box 9, folders 153-156; box 10; microfilm in boxes 15 and 16; and box 17) are restricted for 75 years from their date of creation.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use:

Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.

Historical Note

In 1927 Constantine Meriano founded the Meriano School of Pharmacy on Huntington Avenue near Symphony Hall. After several years of growth and the success of its comprehensive one- and two-year courses for apprentice pharmacists, the institution was officially incorporated in 1940 as the Boston School of Pharmacy. In 1941 the Board of Trustees initiated a four-year curriculum, and in 1943 the Massachusetts Legislature passed an act authorizing the Trustees to grant the degree of Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy. Soon after incorporation, the Trustees suspended the new curriculum program due to declining enrollment during wartime.

When the program resumed in 1946, the school had relocated to new quarters in a building once used by the Sharp School and later by Boston English High School at the corner of Pinckney and Anderson Streets on Beacon Hill. During the same year, the school was approved as a college by the Board of Registration in Pharmacy and by the Massachusetts Department of Education. From its earliest years, the institution focused on the "methodical and thorough training of young men and women who are interested in pharmacy and who are willing to accept the great responsibilities it entails." Towards this end, students enrolled in a rigorous academic program that included course work in anatomy, biology, chemistry, pharmacy, physics, business, law, and English.

The Board of Trustees and the institution's administration, spearheaded by Dean Meriano, embarked on an ambitious plan to oversee the school's advancement in the field of pharmacy education. On January 25, 1949, the Board of Collegiate Authority approved a second name change to the New England College of Pharmacy (NECP), which reflected the administration's intent to attract students from outside Massachusetts. Several months later, the Trustees commenced negotiations to purchase facilities at what was then the Boston University School of Theology located at 70-72 Mount Vernon Street. Students, faculty, and staff moved into the new space in October of that year.

In January 1952 the NECP was accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education with a Class "C" ranking, and in August of the same year became a member of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. Additionally, the school received authorization to confer the honorary degrees of Master of Science and Doctor of Science.

In 1957 Dean Meriano resigned from his position as Dean of the College. LeRoy C. Keagle, pledging to continue Dean Meriano's mission of growth and development for the school, was appointed President and Dean. In June of 1957, the NECP received a Class "B" accreditation from the American Council of Pharmaceutical Education. During the next few months, the curriculum was enlarged and strengthened, and additions were made to the teaching staff; in January 1958, the school reached its ultimate goal -- the granting of a Class "A" accreditation ranking.

The NECP received a great deal of publicity in 1960 when Dean Keagle introduced a trimester semester schedule. It was hoped that this plan would make fuller use of teaching resources and help meet the demand for properly educated pharmacists to serve their communities more effectively. Additionally, the trimester program appealed to students because it promised graduation sooner (in forty months) than under the traditional five-year program.

Despite the dedication and motivation of the faculty, staff, and administration, the NECP never experienced a significant degree of financial autonomy. To better serve the students and to preserve the program, President Keagle joined with President Asa S. Knowles of Northeastern University on June 21, 1961 to announce that the NECP would become part of NU in September 1962. At that time, NECP ceased to exist as an independent institution and formed the backbone of the NU College of Pharmacy. The merger meant that the pharmacy program began to operate under the cooperative education plan, incorporating extensive on-the-job training with traditional classroom learning.

Extent

5.50 cubic feet (17 containers)

Overview

In 1927, Constantine Meriano founded the Meriano School of Pharmacy in Boston. The institution was officially incorporated in 1940 as the Boston School of Pharmacy. In 1941, the Board of Trustees initiated a four-year curriculum, and in 1943 the Massachusetts Legislature authorized the Trustees to grant the degree of Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy. Students enrolled in a rigorous academic program that included course work in anatomy, biology, chemistry, pharmacy, physics, business, law, and English. On January 25, 1949, the Board of Collegiate Authority approved a second name change to the New England College of Pharmacy (NECP). The New England College of Pharmacy was accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education with a Class "C" ranking in 1952, a Class "B" accreditation in 1957, and a Class "A" accreditation ranking in 1958. In 1960 the New England College of Pharmacy commenced merger negotiations with Northeastern University. In September 1962 the New England College of Pharmacy relinquished its status as an independent educational institution and formed the basis of the Northeastern University College of Pharmacy.

Overview

The records of the New England College of Pharmacy document the institution's founding and administrative and educational programs from 1939 to 1973. Records include meeting minutes, by-laws, accreditation materials, budget materials, newspaper clippings, student records, faculty information, curriculum materials, publications, correspondence, reports to educational review boards, alumni lists, planning materials, and school seals.

System of Arrangement:

The collection is organized into six series: Series 1. Corporation and Board of Trustees; Series 2. Office of the Dean; Series 3. Office of Admissions and Enrollment; Series 4. Office of Alumni/Development Programs; Series 5. Commencement; Series 6. Seals.

Physical Location

72/1, 73/4

Bibliography

  • "A Brief History of the College," ca. 1949 (Box 5, Folder 122).
  • "The History of the New England College of Pharmacy," n.d. (Box 5, Folder 122).
  • Raubenheimer, Herbert C., "The History of the New England College of Pharmacy," ca. 1963 (Box 5, Folder 122).
  • Signa, Summer 1962. (Box 9, Folder 148).
Title
Finding aid for the New England College of Pharmacy Records
Author
Finding aid prepared by Meg Moughan; updated by Irina Tsiklik; updated by Migyeong Geum
Date
October 1997, August 2010, October 2012
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Northeastern University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
92 Snell Library
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115 US