Skip to main content

Sigma Epsilon Rho Honor Society records

 Collection
Identifier: A033

Overview

The Sigma Epsilon Rho Honor Society at Northeastern University was established on April 11, 1927 in the School of Commerce and Finance (renamed the School of Business in 1928) to encourage academic success, promote the advancement of its members, and support high moral, professional, and scholastic ideals. The fraternity suffered a period of near inactivity between 1940 and 1950, but was revived in 1951. In 1957, the bylaws were rewritten to reflect the School of Business's incorporation into University College, home of Northeastern University's part-time adult and continuing education courses. Beginning in 1962, cash awards were given to top students. This was changed to a scholarship program that lasted between 1965 and 1972. In 1972, the society first nominated female students for membership. In 1974, Sigma Epsilon Rho established the Honor Society Scholarship Awards.

Dates

  • 1955-1991

Creator

Conditions Governing Access:

Records are closed for 25 years from the date of their creation, unless researchers have written permission from the creating office.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use:

Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.

Historical Note

Sigma Epsilon Rho Honor Society recognizes academic excellence. The Greek letters translate into "SER," an acronym for Scholarship, Ethics, Research. The organization gained its fraternity charter on April 11, 1927 and accepted undergraduates and alumni of the School of Commerce and Finance. The fraternity inducted 15 members its first year - 8 graduates and 7 undergraduates. In 1935 a beta chapter was founded by 17 students at the Providence, Rhode Island Division of Northeastern. Although membership had reached 56 by 1940, the fraternity suffered a period of near inactivity between the years 1940-1950. Sigma Epsilon Rho was revived in 1951 – a new president was elected, the bylaws underwent a major revision, and monthly meetings of the Executive Committee began. The first membership directory was issued in 1954. Beginning in 1962, cash awards were given to top students. This was changed to a scholarship program which lasted from 1965-1972. In 1974 Sigma Epsilon Rho established the Honor Society Scholarship Awards which continue to this day.

As the organization of Northeastern's academic departments and the student body changed, so did Sigma Epsilon Rho's membership. Prior to 1961, initiates were solely drawn from the Evening School of Business (formerly the School of Commerce and Finance). After the Evening School of Business was dissolved in 1960 and University College, in cooperation with the day College of Business Administration, assumed responsibility for evening business classes, the bylaws were revised to reflect new membership criteria. They were revised again in 1972 when the society began to nominate female students for membership. Sigma Epsilon Rho Fraternity was also renamed Sigma Epsilon Rho Society to reflect this change. Today, the organization is the honor society of University College. The goals of Sigma Epsilon Rho are much the same as they were in 1927: "to encourage academic success, to promote the advancement of its members, and to support high moral, professional, and scholastic ideals" ("Sigma Epsilon Rho Honor Society" pamphlet, box 1, folder 2).

Chronology

  • 1927 Charter granted by President Speare.
  • 1928 Gold fraternity keys awarded.
  • 1932 Practice of awarding books to students for high scholastic achievement began.
  • 1935 Beta chapter began at Providence Division.
  • 1940 Period of inactivity began.
  • 1951 Fraternity revived.
  • 1952 Practice of photographing and issuing publicity releases of induction ceremonies began.
  • 1953 Major revisions to the bylaws made. President's Annual Letter and Audited Treasurer's Report instituted. Regular meeting of Executive Committee began.
  • 1954 First membership directory published.
  • 1955 Sigma banner obtained.
  • 1956 Beta chapter dissolved. Annual Dinner Dance began. Ritual accouterments designed and acquired.
  • 1957 Voices of Sigma (newsletter) first published.
  • 1960 Establishment of University College. Merger of the College of Business Administration with the former Evening School of Business.
  • 1962 Cash awards for top students instituted.
  • 1965 Third directory issued. Cash awards changed to scholarship program. Book awards discontinued.
  • 1966 Bylaws revised to clarify membership requirements.
  • 1967 First Northeastern-Sigma Epsilon Rho Program (NUSERP) on "Frontiers of Education."
  • 1968 Bylaws revised to increase student membership. Fourth directory issued. Northeastern-Sigma Epsilon Rho Program (NUSERP) seminar on "Community Schools." Scholarship program discontinued and a plaque for the top student was substituted.
  • 1970 Fifth directory issued.
  • 1972 Bylaws revised to allow the admission of women. Name changed from fraternity to society. Annual "Evening at the Pops" began.
  • 1973 Large numbers of members placed on the inactive list.
  • 1974 Northeastern-Sigma Epsilon Rho Program (NUSERP) seminar on "Career Opportunities for Women" leads to Women's Center Project. Sigma Epsilon Rho Honor Society Scholarship Awards initiated.
  • 1975 Revised bylaws printed.
1927
Charter granted by President Speare.
1928
Gold fraternity keys awarded.
1932
Practice of awarding books to students for high scholastic achievement began.
1935
Beta chapter began at Providence Division.
1940
Period of inactivity began.
1951
Fraternity revived.
1952
Practice of photographing and issuing publicity releases of induction ceremonies began.
1953
Major revisions to the bylaws made. President's Annual Letter and Audited Treasurer's Report instituted. Regular meeting of Executive Committee began.
1954
First membership directory published.
1955
Sigma banner obtained.
1956
Beta chapter dissolved. Annual Dinner Dance began. Ritual accouterments designed and acquired.
1957
Voices of Sigma (newsletter) first published.
1960
Establishment of University College. Merger of the College of Business Administration with the former Evening School of Business.
1962
Cash awards for top students instituted.
1965
Third directory issued. Cash awards changed to scholarship program. Book awards discontinued.
1966
Bylaws revised to clarify membership requirements.
1967
First Northeastern-Sigma Epsilon Rho Program (NUSERP) on "Frontiers of Education."
1968
Bylaws revised to increase student membership. Fourth directory issued. Northeastern-Sigma Epsilon Rho Program (NUSERP) seminar on "Community Schools." Scholarship program discontinued and a plaque for the top student was substituted.
1970
Fifth directory issued.
1972
Bylaws revised to allow the admission of women. Name changed from fraternity to society. Annual "Evening at the Pops" began.
1973
Large numbers of members placed on the inactive list.
1974
Northeastern-Sigma Epsilon Rho Program (NUSERP) seminar on "Career Opportunities for Women" leads to Women's Center Project. Sigma Epsilon Rho Honor Society Scholarship Awards initiated.
1975
Revised bylaws printed.

Extent

2.00 cubic feet (2 containers, 2 flat file folders, 2 art files)

System of Arrangement:

Organized into 2 series: 1. Administrative Files; and 2. Realia.

Physical Location

29/3, File Art 15, FF3/D2

Related Materials:

NU Visual Collection - Sigma Epsilon Rho

Bibliography

  • "Sigma Epsilon Rho Honor Society" pamphlet. 1975. (Box 1, folder 2).
Title
Finding aid for the Sigma Epsilon Rho Honor Society Records
Author
Finding aid prepared by Amy Bosworth
Date
April 2000
Language of description
Description Is In English

Repository Details

Part of the Northeastern University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
92 Snell Library
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115 US