Record Group Term
Found in 133 Collections and/or Records:
Dates: ca. 1979-2014
Overview The first non-denominational Northeastern University chapel service for students was held in 1927. The position of Dean of Chapel was established in 1940, and the Bacon Memorial Chapel was erected in the student center in 1947. After 1960, when NU President Asa Knowles lifted the ban against denominational religious groups on campus, religious life at NU began to flourish. In 1966, the volunteer chaplains formed the Chaplain's Association to help support the administrative aspects of religious...
Dates: 1961-2012 (bulk 1977-2010)
Overview Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Sport in Society (CSSS) was founded by Richard Lapchick in 1984 to increase awareness of sports and their relation to society, and to explore the use of sports in bringing about positive social change. As one of its first projects to reform high school and college sports, in 1985 CSSS established the National Consortium for Academics and Sports to advocate for a balance between academics and athletics. CSSS's programs later addressed more...
Dates: 1978-2003 (1985-1998 bulk)
Overview On June 19, 1993 Northeastern University (NU) held its 91st commencement ceremony at the Boston Garden in the North End. The morning ceremony featured the recently inaugurated President William Jefferson Clinton (WJC) as the commencement speaker. WJC, who was the 42nd President of the United States (1993-2001), received an honorary Doctorate of Public Service at the ceremony. NU began courting WJC soon after his inauguration on January 20, 1993. Leading NU's efforts was Tom Keady, NU's...
Overview The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is one of the Basic Day Colleges that makes up Northeastern University (NU). It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in the arts, humanities, social sciences, mathematics, and natural sciences. Headed by a dean, CAS is organized by academic department, interdisciplinary program, or center for specialized study. The dean has responsibility for managing educational policy, faculty issues, student services, and budgeting, and often delegates these...
Dates: 1924-2002 (bulk 1965-1992)
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) College of Business Administration was established in 1922 as a conventional four-year program leading to the Baccalaureate Degree in Science. It was the second day college at NU. In 1924, the college adapted its programs of instruction to the five-year Cooperative Education Plan. In 1960, NU's evening School of Business merged with the day College of Business Administration. The evening program began in 1907 as the School of Commerce and Finance of the Greater...
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) College of Computer Science (CCS) was the first college in the United States devoted exclusively to computer science. Despite the vigorous protest of NU's engineering faculty, NU's Faculty Senate resolved to establish the CCS in April 1982, and the Board of Trustees approved the CCS in June 1982. The CCS linked the theoretical approaches taught in the Dept. of Mathematics in the College of Arts and Sciences with the practical approaches taught in the College of...
Overview Northeastern University (NU) established the College of Criminal Justice (CCJ) in 1967 to provide professional training and support study and research in the administration of criminal justice. CCJ emerged from the University College's Department of Law Enforcement and Security, which was founded in 1961 and offered part-time baccalaureate and associate degree programs. Initially designed to prepare students for careers in law enforcement, CCJ's academic program has expanded to include course...
Overview The Northeastern University's (NU) College of Engineering was founded in 1909, when the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA began to offer day courses in engineering. In 1920, the Massachusetts Legislature authorized NU to grant bachelor of engineering degrees in chemical, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering. Between 1939 and 1941, all programs gained accreditation by the Engineer's Council for Professional Development. By 1960, the College had become the largest undergraduate...