Skip to main content

Office of the Registrar records

 Collection
Identifier: A089

Overview

Prior to 1960, Northeastern University was divided into separate schools, each with its own Office of the Registrar. In 1960, the Office of the Registrar of the Basic Colleges introduced a data processing system and began to look at the possibility of bringing together all of the registrars. Merging of these individual offices began in 1963 with Lincoln College and continued through the 1960s with the addition of four new basic colleges between 1960 and 1966. By 1978 all sections of Northeastern University were under the direction of the combined Office of the Registrar.

Dates

  • 1920-2000 (bulk 1950-1975)

Creator

Conditions Governing Access:

Administrative records are closed for 25 years from their date of creation and student records are close for 75 years, unless researchers have written permission from the creating office.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use:

Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.

Historical Note

Before 1960, Northeastern University was divided into separate schools, each with its own Office of the Registrar. The School of Law, Evening Programs which developed into University College, Lincoln Institute, and the Basic Day Colleges each operated independently. The University's schools of Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Education, and Engineering were divided between the day and evening programs. The Office of the Registrar in each of these entities was a small operation responsible for overseeing and coordinating student registration, scheduling classes, and assuring that all academic records were properly maintained and updated. In 1960 two major changes occurred. First, University College, the newly founded branch of Northeastern that served as the overlying body for Evening Programs, was established. Second, a data processing system was introduced that allowed for more easily accessible records.

Beginning in the 1960s, the individual registrars began to converge. Lincoln Institute, which offered technology programs, changed its name to Lincoln College and joined the university wide registrar in 1963, while University College remained its own entity. In 1966, reorganization of the day college registrars was undertaken due to the founding of four new colleges since 1960: Boston-Bouvé College, College of Criminal Justice, College of Nursing, and College of Pharmacy. With the growth of elective programs in the late 1960s, the previously used method of automatic registration had to be abandoned and a new keypunch card system was implemented. 1969 saw the merging of the Day Colleges and their graduate counterparts into the same office under Rudolph H. Morris. In 1973, the Office of the Registrar microfilmed all of its records up to 1972. As a result, the amount of storage space was decreased, the records more usable, and they were less vulnerable to misplacement. The merger of university registrar offices was completed in 1978 when the School of Law and Continuing Education were absorbed.

Chronology

  • Office of the Registrar, Day Colleges
  • 1920-1944 John B. Pugsley
  • 1944-1946 Winthrop E. Nightingale
  • 1946-1949 John B. Pugsley
  • 1949-1970 Rudolph H. Morris
  • 1970-1975 Alan A. Mackey
  • Office of the Registrar, Evening Programs
  • 1918-1920 Marie C. Fausel
  • 1920-1925 John B. Pugsley
  • Office of the Registrar, Evening Programs and Lincoln Institute
  • 1925-1931 Roy M. Lawson
  • 1931-1944 Eben O. Smith
  • 1944-1948 Helen M. Stoddard
  • 1948-1951 Carl A. Georgi
  • 1951-1952 Walter J. Hunt
  • 1952-1953 Lincoln Bateson
  • 1953-1957 William M. Stewart
  • Office of the Registrar, Evening Programs, Lincoln Institute, and University College
  • 1957-1965 William T. Edgett
  • 1965-1970 Edmund J. Mullen
  • 1970-1973 John L. O'Leary, Jr.
  • 1973-1978 David R. Kane
  • Office of the Registrar, Graduate School
  • 1959-1969 Janice Walker
  • Office of the Registrar, School of Law
  • 1922-1924 Turner F. Garner
  • 1924-1931 Roy M. Lawson
  • 1931-1939 Eben O. Smith
  • 1939-1945 Edna E. Rawnsley
  • 1945-1948 Doris E. Koch
  • 1948-1953 Carmelita E. Geraci
  • 1966-1969 Barbra F. Burke
  • 1969-1973 Denise A. Smith
  • 1973-1978 Marianne F. Radziewicz
  • Office of the University Registrar
  • 1975-1998 Edmund J. Mullen
  • 1998-present Linda D. Allen
Office of the Registrar, Day Colleges
1920-1944
John B. Pugsley
1944-1946
Winthrop E. Nightingale
1946-1949
John B. Pugsley
1949-1970
Rudolph H. Morris
1970-1975
Alan A. Mackey
Office of the Registrar, Evening Programs
1918-1920
Marie C. Fausel
1920-1925
John B. Pugsley
Office of the Registrar, Evening Programs and Lincoln Institute
1925-1931
Roy M. Lawson
1931-1944
Eben O. Smith
1944-1948
Helen M. Stoddard
1948-1951
Carl A. Georgi
1951-1952
Walter J. Hunt
1952-1953
Lincoln Bateson
1953-1957
William M. Stewart
Office of the Registrar, Evening Programs, Lincoln Institute, and University College
1957-1965
William T. Edgett
1965-1970
Edmund J. Mullen
1970-1973
John L. O'Leary, Jr.
1973-1978
David R. Kane
Office of the Registrar, Graduate School
1959-1969
Janice Walker
Office of the Registrar, School of Law
1922-1924
Turner F. Garner
1924-1931
Roy M. Lawson
1931-1939
Eben O. Smith
1939-1945
Edna E. Rawnsley
1945-1948
Doris E. Koch
1948-1953
Carmelita E. Geraci
1966-1969
Barbra F. Burke
1969-1973
Denise A. Smith
1973-1978
Marianne F. Radziewicz
Office of the University Registrar
1975-1998
Edmund J. Mullen
1998-present
Linda D. Allen

Extent

2.55 cubic feet (4 containers)

Language

English

System of Arrangement:

Organized alphabetically by subject.

Physical Location

32/3

Bibliography

  • Frederick, Antoinette, Northeastern University: An Emerging Giant, 1959-1975 (Boston: Northeastern University Custom Book Program, 1982).
Title
Finding aid for the Office of the Registrar Records
Author
Finding aid prepared by Ellen Lassiter
Date
November 2005
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Northeastern University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
92 Snell Library
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115 US