Skip to main content

School of Education records

 Collection
Identifier: A039

Overview

Northeastern University's College of Education was formed in 1953 as a result of the growing need for elementary and secondary school educators in the United States. By 1967, it employed 22 faculty members and included five specialized departments. Enrollment in the College of Education peaked in 1970 with over 1,300 undergraduate and 1,001 graduate students and 55 full-time faculty members. In 1980, responding to a decline in enrollment and a decreased need for teachers, the College of Education merged with Boston-Bouvé College forming the Boston-Bouvé College of Human Development Professions. In 1992, the education department moved to the College of Arts and Sciences and, in 1999, was renamed the School of Education. In the early 2000s, the graduate programs of the School moved to the College of Professional Studies.

Dates

  • 1958-2001 (bulk 1963-1985)

Creator

Language of Materials

The collection is entirely in English.

Conditions Governing Access:

Records are closed for 25 years from the date of their creation, unless researchers have written permission from the creating office. Records containing student information are closed for 75 years from the date of their creation.

Historical Note

The College of Education was formed in 1953 as a result of the growing need for elementary and secondary school educators in the United States. The College offered both undergraduate and graduate degree programs. All classes were taught by the program's two professors: Lester S. Vander Werf, who was appointed the College's first dean, and E. Lawrence Durham. The first graduate student commencement took place in 1954 with the granting of three Master of Education degrees. Three years later the College of Education granted its first Bachelor of Science in Education degrees to 38 students. In the next decade, the College of Education grew as the need for educators increased.  By 1967 it employed 22 faculty members and included five specialized departments. The College was accredited during the 1960s by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education; at the same time, the College began to mandate student teaching for all its students. 

Enrollment in the College of Education peaked in 1970 with the College instructing over 1,300 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate students and employing 55 full-time faculty members. Despite the increase in students and faculty, the 1970s saw an overall decline in enrollment as the demand for educators lessened. Responding to this decrease in enrollment, the faculties of Boston-Bouvé College and the College of Education voted to merge to create the Boston-Bouve College of Human Development Professions. The Board of Trustees voted on June 13, 1980 to approve the merger and the College of Education remained as part of Boston-Bouvé until the early 1990s.

In 1992, the education department moved to the College of Arts and Sciences where it remained a department of the college until July 1999 when it was renamed the School of Education. In the early 2000s, the School of Education began to offer joint graduate programs with the College of Professional and Continuing Studies.

Chronology

  • 1953 College of Education founded.
  • 1959 Part-time and evening programs are added.
  • 1965 Student teaching is made mandatory.
  • 1967 College is accredited by National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
  • 1970 Offers Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study.
  • 1974 Offers Doctorate of Education.
  • 1980 Merges with Boston-Bouvé College to form the College of Human Development Professions.
  • 1992 Leaves College of Human Development Professions; merges with the College of Arts and Sciences.
  • 1999 College is renamed the School of Education.
  • 2005 Graduate School of Education begins to offer joint courses with the College of Professional and Continuing Studies.
1953
College of Education founded.
1959
Part-time and evening programs are added.
1965
Student teaching is made mandatory.
1967
College is accredited by National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
1970
Offers Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study.
1974
Offers Doctorate of Education.
1980
Merges with Boston-Bouvé College to form the College of Human Development Professions.
1992
Leaves College of Human Development Professions; merges with the College of Arts and Sciences.
1999
College is renamed the School of Education.
2005
Graduate School of Education begins to offer joint courses with the College of Professional and Continuing Studies.

Chronology of Deans and Chairmen

  • 1953-1966 Lester S. Vander Werf, Dean of the College of Education
  • 1966-1977 Frank E. Marsh, Jr., Dean of the College of Education
  • 1978-1979 Roland J.B. Goddu, Interim Dean of the College of Education
  • 1979-1980 Arthur D. Smith, Interim Dean of the College of Education
  • 1980-1983 Russell J. Call, Chair of the Department of Curriculum and Instruction
  • 1980-1984 Joseph Meier, Chair of the Department of Foundations of Education
  • 1984-1987 Paul H. Tedesco, Chair of the Department of Education
  • 1987-1989 Joseph Meier, Acting Chair of the Department of Education
  • 1989-1996 Maurice Kaufman, Chair of the Department of Education
  • 1996-1997 Holbrook C. Robinson, Acting Chair of the Department of Education
  • 1997-1998 Susan L. Melnick, Chair of the Department of Education
  • 1998-2000 James W. Fraser, Acting Chairman of the Department of Education
  • 2000-2005 James W. Fraser, Dean of the School of Education
  • 2005-2007 Thomas R. Gilbert, Interim Dean of the School of Education
  • 2008-present Holly M. Carter, Acting Chair of the School of Education
1953-1966
Lester S. Vander Werf, Dean of the College of Education
1966-1977
Frank E. Marsh, Jr., Dean of the College of Education
1978-1979
Roland J.B. Goddu, Interim Dean of the College of Education
1979-1980
Arthur D. Smith, Interim Dean of the College of Education
1980-1983
Russell J. Call, Chair of the Department of Curriculum and Instruction
1980-1984
Joseph Meier, Chair of the Department of Foundations of Education
1984-1987
Paul H. Tedesco, Chair of the Department of Education
1987-1989
Joseph Meier, Acting Chair of the Department of Education
1989-1996
Maurice Kaufman, Chair of the Department of Education
1996-1997
Holbrook C. Robinson, Acting Chair of the Department of Education
1997-1998
Susan L. Melnick, Chair of the Department of Education
1998-2000
James W. Fraser, Acting Chairman of the Department of Education
2000-2005
James W. Fraser, Dean of the School of Education
2005-2007
Thomas R. Gilbert, Interim Dean of the School of Education
2008-present
Holly M. Carter, Acting Chair of the School of Education

Extent

9.50 cubic feet (10 containers)

System of Arrangement:

Organized in two series: Series 1. Administration; and Series 2. Programs.

Physical Location

57/2

Immediate Source of Acquisition:

Records were transferred with the Archives by the School of Education from 1997 through 2003. Records were also transferred by the Department of Curriculum and Instruction.

Bibliography

  • Chiavelli, Jim. "Sridhar tapped as vice provost for research." The Northeastern Voice, September 14, 2004. http://www.voice.neu.edu/040914/040914_1.pdf
  • Frederick, Antoinette. Northeastern University - An Emerging Giant: 1959-1975. Boston, Massachusetts: Northeastern University, 1982.
  • ---- Northeastern University - Coming of Age: The Ryder Years 1975-1989. Boston, Massachusetts: Northeastern University, 1995
  • Marston, Everett C. Origin and Development of Northeastern University 1898-1960. Boston, Massachusetts: Northeastern University, 1961.
  • Northeastern University. Northeastern University Course Catalogs, 1966- 2003. Boston, Massachusetts: Northeastern University, 1966-2003.
Title
Finding aid for the School of Education Records
Author
Finding aid prepared by Amy Bosworth; updated by Hanna Clutterbuck
Date
December 1999, December 2008
Language of description
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Northeastern University Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
92 Snell Library
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115 US