Record Group Term
Found in 133 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Information Systems section of Northeastern's Office of Development is responsible for maintaining and processing data relevant to the University's alumni. It is also responsible for processing monetary gifts to the University. Throughout its history, and based on its varying responsibilities, Information Systems has been known as Alumni Records, Research, and Gift Information; Alumni Records; and Alumni Records & Directory.Northeastern's first Alumni Department opened in...
Overview The Disability Resource Center has its roots in a 1973 proposal from the Cooperative Education Research Center for a longitudinal study examining the effect the Cooperative Education Work Program had for the employability of students with disabilities. This proposal eventually turned into a three-year effort to make Northeastern University's campus physically accessible to students with disabilities. When funding ran out on this short-term project, a proposal was made to President Ryder for...
Dates: 1977-1999 (bulk 1980-1992)
Overview In 1909, Northeastern University (NU) became the second college in the nation to adopt a cooperative plan of education. In that year the Boston YMCA Evening Institute opened its Cooperative Engineering School, offering daytime programs. The cooperative program was later adopted by the Day School of Business, and the program continued to grow as new units were founded with a cooperative component. By 1928, a separate Department of Cooperative Education was established. As interest in cooperative...
Overview Northeastern University has been a leader in national and international cooperative education from the inception of its cooperative education program in 1909. The program was initially confined to the college of engineering, yet the concept expanded to other departments including Business, Liberal Arts, and Education. In 1928 a separate Department of Cooperative Work was established with Winthrop E. Nightingale as director.In 1959 the department was renamed the Department of...
Overview The Division of Student Affairs was originally known as the Office of the Dean of Students. In the 1950s, the office comprised a dean of freshmen, dean of women, and dean of men. In 1970, the Office of Dean of Students was reorganized into the Division of Student Affairs, and many of the tasks that had originally been handled directly by the dean and his assistants were separated into departments that reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs. Among these services were counseling and...
Dates: 1933-2008 (bulk 1965-1985)
Overview Karen Feldscher received her Bachelor of Arts in English from Oberlin College. Later she went on to take courses at Northeastern University studying psychology, business, creative writing and HTML. Feldscher worked for over 26 years at Northeastern, beginning in 1984. Working as a senior writer, she edited a research journal at Northeastern, wrote for its alumni magazine and authored several annual reports. At one point she was the editor of The Voice, Northeastern University's in-house...
Overview Since its founding in 1896, Northeastern University has expanded its campus from a few buildings on Huntington Avenue to a sprawling campus. After initially renting space in the Botolph Building and the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA), the University built its first building, Richards Hall, in 1939, and continued to grow from there. A push towards building dormitory spaces in the 1960s helped to transform the University from a commuter college to a residential college. At the...
Dates: 1855-2006 (bulk 1955-1970)
Overview Northeastern University's Faculty Senate was formed in 1961 by President Asa S. Knowles as an advisory and review body that would involve the faculty in administering the university. The Faculty Senate originally consisted of 24 faculty members representing the academic colleges, the provost, and seven members of the administrative faculty appointed by the president. The provost serves as chair. The Faculty Senate initially included three standing committees: Agenda, Academic and Research...
Dates: 1940-2004 (bulk 1961-1997)
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) Faculty Wives was formed in 1941 to promote social contact among the wives of the university's rapidly expanding faculty. Etta Ell, the wife of NU's second president, Carl Ell, founded Faculty Wives. The organization sponsored back-to-school celebrations, holiday fund-raising parties, and spring luncheons. Money received from fund-raising activities supported student scholarships, building funds, and campus improvement activities. The Faculty Wives disbanded in...
Overview The Forsyth family of Roxbury, Massachusetts, founded the Forsyth Dental Infirmary for Children in 1910. Recognizing that oral hygiene was a key factor in controlling dental disease, the family established The Forsyth School for Dental Hygienists in 1916. In 1948, the school entered into an affiliation with Tufts University. In 1962, it became affiliated with Northeastern University, and in September 1963, the first class was admitted. The Northeastern-Forsyth partnership offered dental hygiene...
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) Holocaust Awareness Committee (HAC) was organized in 1991 and is affiliated with the NU Office of Spiritual Life. Prior to HAC's organization in 1991, NU had an annual Holocaust Remembrance Week, which was organized by the Office of Religious Life (later renamed the Office of Spiritual Life) between 1977 and 1991. Membership includes NU students, faculty, and staff of various religious and ethnic backgrounds. The HAC's primary purpose is to remember the...
Dates: 1984-2010 (bulk 1991-1999)
Overview Human Resource Management aims "to attract, reward and retain a high-quality faculty and staff to meet the university's educational mission." The office is responsible for the university's compensation and benefits programs, employment and employee relations, human resources information systems, and training and development programs for the university community.
Dates: 1963-2005 (bulk 1967-1995)
Overview In December 1941, William W. Robinson and Gordon H. Brown began a ski club at Northeastern University known as the Hus-skiers. Over the years, the Hus-skiers became more involved in other outdoor activities, and "Outing Club" was added to the group's name. In 1971, the club built the Brown Memorial Lodge in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The club usually maintains a membership of about 200 undergraduates, 30 of which are considered active members. There is also a loosely organized Alumni...
Overview In 1927, Northeastern University (NU) first adopted its mascot, a Siberian Husky named King Husky I. After King Husky I's death in 1941, Northeastern developed a 20-year relationship with Chinook Kennels in Wonalancet, New Hampshire, which provided the next seven mascots. In 1958, the kennel closed and the administration chose to commission a husky statue rather than continue the tradition of the live mascots. The statue was completed in 1962 by Anne Philbrick Hall, a sculpter under contract...
Overview Northeastern University's Inaugural Committee organizes and manages the induction ceremony of University presidents. There have been six presidential inaugurations in the history of Northeastern: 30 March 1917 - Frank Palmer Speare; 19 November 1940 - Carl Stephens Ell; 8 September 1959 - Asa Smallidge Knowles; 28 October 1975 - Kenneth Gilmore Ryder; 1 December 1989 - John Anthony Curry ; 17 January 1997 - Richard Middleton Freeland.
Overview The Institute of Taxation (IT) existed ca. 1955-1965 under the auspices of the Northeastern University College of Business Administration, with ties to the Division of Continuing Education. In the 1950s and 1960s, IT presented a series of tax forums as an opportunity for continuing education for local tax professionals. The Federal Tax Forums and Federal Tax Institutes were presented in conjunction with the professional accounting societies of New England. The Massachusetts Tax Forums were...
Overview On April 30, 1920, delegates from the three fraternities (Beta Gamma Epsilon, Alpha Kappa Sigma, and Eta Tau Nu) on Northeastern University's campus joined together to form the Pan-Hellenic Council. Renamed the InterFraternity Council on October 26, 1921, the InterFraternity Council began as a representative body composed of two men from each fraternity. Currently, an unlimited number of members from each fraternity may serve on the council. The objectives of the InterFraternity Council are to...
Dates: 1963-1998 (bulk 1963-1975)
Overview During the 1970's, Northeastern University worked to make the University more a part of the international community. Many students held coop jobs in foreign countries and Northeastern University staff went abroad to recruit, teach or conduct research. In addition, Northeastern experienced an increase in international student enrollment. Because of the increasing number of international students, the Office of Student Affairs employed a Foreign Student Advisor and expanded services, the goal of...
Overview The Lowell Institute School was founded at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1903 as the School for Industrial Foremen. It provided low-cost, continuing education to industrial foremen seeking to enhance their professional skills. The school offered two tuition-free evening programs: the Mechanical Course and the Electrical Course. Over time, the school's admission standards became more rigorous and its curriculum expanded, but it continued to offer two-year programs in mechanical...
Overview In 1967, the Marine Science Center, then the Marine Science Institute, was founded in order to provide space for master and doctoral level students and visiting scientists to conduct research in ocean chemistry, water quality, and pollution. The Marine Science Center (MSC), located in Nahant, opened on October 29, 1969 as the David F. and Edna F. Edwards Marine Science Laboratory. Renamed in 1982 as the Marine Science and Maritime Studies Center, MSC refocused on marine ecology, behavior,...
Dates: 1946-2006 (bulk 1966-1993)
Overview Northeastern Records was founded in 1979 and remained at Northeastern University until 1988. The classical music label focused on producing recordings by women and New England composers, and on utilizing musicians and singers from the Boston area. The ownership of Northeastern Records was transferred to its director, Lynn Joiner, in 1988.
Overview The Music at Noon Concert Series at Northeastern University began in 1962 to allow students to perform music informally in front of an audience. It was initiated by Professor Roland Nadeau, then Chairman of the Music Department. In 1964, Professor Tesson took over the program and expanded it to include a wide variety of music. In 1968, Northeastern University formally adopted a budget for the Music at Noon program, thus allowing it to host concerts by professional musicians as well as student...
Overview The Division of Academic Computing began in 1987 as a continuation of the academic computer services initiated by Dr. Knowles in 1959 with the purchase of the University's first computer and the establishment of the Computation Center, a support service for the research and teaching needs of faculty, research personnel, graduate students and some undergraduates. In 1981, the Computation Center was reorganized to reflect its growing importance. Its name changed to Academic Computer Services...
Overview The collection contains negatives of Northeastern University events, buildings, campus, and individuals, taken by Jet Commercial Photographers, between 1959 and 2007. The NU Visual Collection contains positive prints of some negatives. The negatives are organized chronologically and numerically according to unique ID numbers given to each photo session. Negative sleeves are labeled with dates and brief descriptions of the content of the negatives. A detailed index of the contents of each box is...
Overview Negatives and contact sheets from Northeastern University's Athletics Programs from 1959-2004.
Overview This collection comprises artifacts that were either presented to or created by Northeastern University (NU), including items such as awards, flags, banners, medals, clothing, paperweights, coasters, pins, dishware, figurines, and jewelry. Some of the items have links to particular individuals or groups; others are representative of NU as a whole. Of special interest is a class sweater worn by a member of the Class of 1926. (The NU Photograph Collection contains photographs of a freshman class...
Overview The collection consists of motion picture reels documenting life at Northeastern University. Included are films of the groundbreaking and construction of Richards Hall, Dodge Hall, Cabot Physical Education Center, Hayden Hall, Ell Student Center, and Churchill Hall. Also included are films of the naming of the Cabot and Ell buildings, President Knowles' inauguration, and President Ell's Alumni Testimonial Dinner. Each reel has been copied to VHS format. There are four master VHS copies for the...
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) Office of University Photography (OUP) is responsible for the public image of NU as represented in photographs and videos. OUP provides photographic support and expertise to NU's marketing, news, and public relations publications.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Overview Northeastern University was founded in 1898 as a primarily commuter school with an all-male student body focusing on engineering and law programs. Since then, the University has expanded and now has six basic colleges, graduate and undergraduate programs in a wide variety of fields, and a diverse student body. The photographic collection reflects the history and development of the University from the early 1900s to the present day, including the expansion of Northeastern's physical plant and...
Dates: 1903-2009 (bulk 1950s-2009)
Overview The Northeastern University Press was founded by William Frohlich in 1977. Frohlich had been hired to reorganize the department responsible for printing the University's promotional and informational materials. Frohlich worked with Northeastern University President Kenneth Ryder to create a small academic press that would operate on a small budget and publish scholarly books. President Ryder recognized that a university press would help strengthen the academic reputation of Northeastern and...
Overview NUPRIME was established in 1974 to recruit and support minority students in the College of Engineering, the College of Computer Science, and the Engineering Technology program. Based in the College of Engineering, NUPRIME assists over 200 students each year by providing academic and financial support, including scholarships and loans, mathematics and physics workshops, one-on-one tutoring, and career counseling. NUPRIME also provides advisory support for minority engineering student...
Dates: 1981-1997 (bulk 1992-1996)
Overview Northeastern University's (NU) Affirmative Action Office (AAO) was created in 1975 in response to several federal laws and regulations designed to encourage employment and educational equity at institutions throughout American society. President Asa Knowles was head of a group of Boston-area university presidents who tried to adhere to these new rules. During his tenure, NU established the Afro-American Institute and sought to enroll and retain African American students as well as hire and...
Dates: 1973-1995 (bulk 1975-1986)
Overview In the early 1900s, alumni activities at Northeastern University were organized by each department. In 1927 William C. White, who later became Executive Vice President of Northeastern University (NU), was appointed the first Alumni Secretary. Rudolf O. Oberg replaced White in 1929 as Alumni Secretary of the Day Colleges. Oberg expanded the role of organizing alumni events and furthering alumni relations, and due to his efforts, an alumni office was created in 1943, with Oberg as Director of...
Dates: 1926- 2009
Overview The Office of Public Information was established by Northeastern University President Asa S. Knowles in 1959. In the mid-1980s, Senior Vice President for Public Affairs, James B. King divided the office into two subdivisions: University Relations and Public Relations. The Division of University Relations focused on internal communications while Public Relations focused on external relations. In 1986 the Office of Public Information became the Office of Communications whose mission was to...
Collection — Box 9: [39358015557447,TRF119712525]
Overview In 1982, Vice President John A. Curry reorganized the existing Office of Community Development into the Office of Community Affairs. Placed under the direction of Joseph D. Warren, the Office of Community Affairs' primary mission was to respond to the concerns of Northeastern University's neighbors. Additionally, the office administered several community outreach programs, such as the annual Thanksgiving food and Christmas toy drives and a scholarship program for Boston Housing Authority...
Dates: 1967-1989 (bulk 1982-1989)
Overview During the 1960s and early 1970s, the Office of the President was responsible for coordinating and overseeing all building dedications and major events. In the mid 1970s, this responsibility was transferred to the Office of University Functions, renamed the Office of Special Events when President Kenneth G. Ryder began his administration. During the 1990s, the Office of Special Events was renamed the Office of Conference and Event Planning.
Overview The Office of Educational Opportunity Programs and Service-Learning (OEOP/SL) at Northeastern University (NU) was established in the 1993-94 academic year. Holly M. Carter, whose career at NU began in 1973, became dean of the OEOP/SL. The OEOP/SL was charged with: 1) coordinating University-wide community service-learning initiatives; 2) serving as a clearinghouse for internal and external community service-learning resources and information; 3) developing initiatives in community...
Overview In 2001, the office of University Development and the Office of Alumni Relations merged under the name Office of Institutional Advancement. The Office of Institutional Advancement is responsible for overseeing the staff, budget, and operations of all alumni, corporate, and development activities.
Overview The Office of Institutional Research and Data Administration collects data for and about Northeastern University. Overseen by the Office of the Provost, the statistics the Office compiles are used to analyze and improve the institution as a whole, in order to better benefit students, faculty, alumni, staff and the outside community. Prior to being called the Office of Institutional Research and Data Administration, or OIR, the Office went through several name changes. From the years 1959-1961,...
Overview Prior to 1975, matters relating to international affairs at Northeastern University were the joint responsibility of the University Relations Office and the Student Center. In 1975, several committees were established to address the needs of a growing population of international students. Responsibilities shared among these committees included international recruitment, coordination of international visitors, and addressing the cultural, legal, and academic needs of foreign students. These...
Dates: 1951-1991 (bulk 1977-1988)
Overview Northeastern University's Office of Planning was established in 1959. Since 1982 it has been known as the Office of Physical Planning and Design. The Office is concerned with the design and expansion of Northeastern University's physical campus and buildings, and space planning for educational programs. Prior to 1959, the Building Committee and other special committees of the Board of Trustees handled Northeastern University's physical expansion.
Dates: 1903-1997 (bulk 1960-1987)
Overview Compiled by Northeastern University's Office of Public Relations, the scrapbooks consist entirely of newspaper clippings, mostly from Boston and regional newspapers, concerning news items related to or involving Northeastern University and its faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
Overview The Office of Technology Innovation and Commercialization, formerly known as the Division of Technology Transfer, was formed as the result of a task force commissioned by President Richard M. Freeland in 1997. The findings of the task force emphasized the importance of research, technology transfer, and intellectual property control to "augment the intellectual contribution and stature of the University." In July 1999, the Division of Technology Transfer was created to "promote university...
Overview The Office of Financial Officer for Northeastern University was created in 1950. Lincoln C. Bateson, the first Financial Officer, was responsible for tuition, taxes, audits, budgets, and salaries. The position title was changed in the 1960s to Vice President-Finance. When Bateson retired in 1974, the two vice presidential posts were merged and Daniel J. Roberts became the joint Vice President-Business/Finance. In 1990, the Vice President-Finance position was seen as no longer necessary, so it...
Overview In the mid-1960s, Northeastern University (NU) president Asa Knowles initiated a major administrative reorganization, including a change in the by-laws to allow for more than one vice president. In September 1966, Knowles asked the Board of Trustees to approve the appointment of William C. White, then Vice President and Provost, to the position of Executive Vice President. The Office of Executive Vice President was not created to fill a particular administrative role. Subsequent executive vice...
Overview John A. Curry (JAC), the fifth president of NU from 1989 to 1996, was involved with NU as an alumnus and administrator for 25 years before his inauguration. During JAC's tenure as president, NU faced drastic budget cuts due to a dramatic decline in enrollment. He streamlined operations by laying off nearly 200 employees, creating a leaner upper administration, freezing wages and hiring, merging programs, restructuring debt, and creating revenue-generating initiatives, which enabled him to...
Dates: 1967-2002 (bulk 1989-1995)
Overview Carl Stephens Ell (CSE) was the second president of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. During his tenure as President, CSE was responsible for the accreditation of several of NU's academic programs and the rapid expansion of the physical plant. His other positions at NU included instructor at the Co-operative School of Engineering of the Boston YMCA (1910-1912), Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1912-1917), Assistant Dean of the School of Engineering (1914-1917), Dean of the...
Overview Asa Smallidge Knowles (ASK) was the third president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1959 to 1975. Under ASK's leadership, NU expanded its academic offerings, and all of its programs were accredited. Enrollment doubled, and the number of resident students increased dramatically. NU's physical plant grew to include five campuses, and its financial assets experienced significant growth. Between 1967 and 1972, NU faced various student protests concerning student rights, the Black Power...
Overview Kenneth Gilmore Ryder (KGR), the fourth president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1975 to 1989, began his career at NU in 1949 as an instructor of history and government. He was promoted to assistant professor in 1953 and to associate professor in 1956. In 1957, KGR gave up his teaching responsibilities to assume a succession of administrative positions: Dean of Administration (1958-1966), Vice President of University Administration (1967-1970), and Executive Vice President (1971-1975). In...
Overview Frank Palmer Speare (FPS) was named the Educational Director of the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA in 1896. He transformed the loosely organized school into an institute for higher learning that eventually became Northeastern University (NU). He oversaw the launching of several of NU's early schools: the evening law school, the now-defunct automobile school, the evening polytechnic schools, the school of commerce and finance, and the co-operative engineering school. In 1916 the Evening...