Office of Communications records
The Office of Public Information was established by Northeastern University President Asa S. Knowles in 1959. In the mid-1980s, Senior Vice President for Public Affairs, James B. King divided the office into two subdivisions: University Relations and Public Relations. The Division of University Relations focused on internal communications while Public Relations focused on external relations. In 1986 the Office of Public Information became the Office of Communications whose mission was to promote and support the University's position as leader in higher education by marketing its programs and educational philosophy and by publicizing its accomplishments and resources to a wide array of internal and external audiences. The Office of Communications was renamed the Division of Marketing and Communications in 2004. The Division oversees public relations, branding, photography, and the production of informational and editorial publications and websites about the University. It consists of six departments: Communications and Public Relations, Web Services and Marketing, Creative Services, Northeastern University Magazine, the Northeastern Voice, and University Photography.
Language of Materials
The material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access:
This collection is unrestricted.
3.35 cubic feet (4 containers)
System of Arrangement:
The collection is organized into two series: Series 1. Subject Files; and Series 2. Press Clippings and Releases.
Further accruals are expected.
- Frederick, Antoinette. Northeastern University Coming of Age: The Ryder Years 1975-1989. Boston: Northeastern University, 1995. (229)
- Knowles, Asa S. (Asa Smallidge), 1909-1990
- Lane, Harlan L.
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Alumni and alumnae
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Faculty
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.) -- Students
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Office of Public Affairs
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Office of Public Information
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Office of Urban Schools Collaborative
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Press Bureau
- Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). School of Law
- Ryder, Kenneth G., 1924-
- Finding aid for the Office of Communications Records
- Finding aid prepared by Irina Tsiklik and Cheryl Ostrowski
- April 2011
- Language of description
- Description Is In English