United Drug Company products collection
In 1902, Louis K. Liggett persuaded 40 druggists to invest in a drug company that would manufacture and distribute products in franchised stores. In 1903, the United Drug Company (UDC) began operations at 43 Leon Street, now known Meserve Hall at Northeastern University. The stores and products were known by the name "Rexall," for "king of all." By 1929, UDC had 21 manufacturing plants throughout the United States. It employed over 25,000 workers, supplied 10,000 Rexall Drug Stores, and operated a chain of over 500 Liggett Drug Stores in the United States. In 1944, Liggett stepped down. Justin Dart, the new president, renamed UDC the Rexall Drug Co. and moved the headquarters to Los Angeles. In the 1930s, UDC built six buildings on its Boston campus that housed its corporate offices and manufacturing and research facilities. Northeastern University purchased the buildings from United Realty in 1961. One of the six buildings is now divided into four sections: Lake Hall, Meserve Hall, Nightingale Hall, and Holmes Hall. Three other buildings on the block were eventually demolished.
- United Drug Company (Boston, Mass.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access:
The collection is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use:
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection should be discussed with the University Archivist.
.50 cubic feet (1 container)
System of Arrangement:
Arranged in one alphabetical sequence.
- Finding aid for the United Drug Company Products Collection
- Finding aid prepared by Archives Staff
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.