Manuscripts/5. Business, Banking, and Insurance
Record Group Term
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Order book of Abraham Bell and Company, an Irish shipping company, listing goods and passengers transported to London, Sicily, and elsewhere.
Overview Asa S. Knowles (1909-1990) was President of the Associated Colleges of Upper New York (1946-1948), Vice-President of University Development at Cornell University (1948-1951), President of the University of Toledo (1951-1958), and President, later Chancellor, at Northeastern University (1959-1981). He was also on the board of directors of Shawmut Bank of Boston, N.A. from 1961 to 1989(?) and on the board of directors of Shawmut Corporation from 1965 to 1989(?). Knowles wrote a history of Shawmut...
Dates: 1836-1990 (bulk 1920-1983)
Overview Chas. T. Main, Inc. was a Boston engineering company founded by Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate Charles T. Main in 1893. Main was a mechanical engineer working in the textile mills of New England and a major developer in the new field of hydroelectric power. He also served as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers' President from 1918-1919. In 1926, the company was incorporated as Chas. T. Main, Inc. Main and his associates decided that all stock would be privately owned by...
Overview Edward Rochie Hardy was instrumental in the development of insurance education and the growth of insurance libraries. He was born on October 15, 1862 in Detroit, Michigan. After graduating from Boston University in 1896, Hardy held numerous posts in insurance organizations and as head of several insurance libraries, including the Insurance Library Association of Boston, the New York Insurance Society, and the New York Fire Exchange. Hardy also helped found the Insurance Institute of America in...
Dates: 1769-1967 (bulk 1890-1950)
Overview Founded in 1991, the mission of the Greater Boston Business Council (GBBC) is to foster and promote the vitality and productivity of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (LGBTQ) business and professional community in the greater Boston area, thereby contributing to the economic welfare of the general Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Council holds monthly dinner meetings and networking parties, as well as additional social events and a yearly Awards for Excellence gala. In addition,...
Overview Harold Hamilton Kerr served as a member of Northeastern University's Corporation (1942-1963), Board of Trustees (1945-1963), and Committee on Development (1945-1963). In recognition of his services, Northeastern University named the faculty center at 96 The Fenway in honor of Kerr on October 28, 1975. He also served as president, treasurer, and director of Boston Gear Works, Inc., in 1940-1947. In addition, he was a member (1937-1947) and vice-president (1940-1944) of the National Metal...
Overview Harvey "Chet" Krentzman graduated from Northeastern University with a degree in Engineering in 1949. He received his MBA from the Harvard Business School in 1952, and in 1954 he established the Advanced Management Associates, Inc., a management company providing consultant services to small businesses. In 1959 he was invited to start the Small Business Institute at the Northeastern University Office of Adult and Continuing Education. From the 1960s through the early 1980s, he ran a number of...
Overview In 1902, Louis K. Liggett persuaded 40 druggists to invest in a drug company that would manufacture and distribute products in franchised stores. In 1903, the United Drug Company (UDC) began operations at 43 Leon Street, now known Meserve Hall at Northeastern University. The stores and products were known by the name "Rexall," for "king of all." By 1929, UDC had 21 manufacturing plants throughout the United States. It employed over 25,000 workers, supplied 10,000 Rexall Drug Stores, and...
Overview Ledger of deposits in a Saint Louis bank for transmittal through Belfast Banking Company. These sums were transferred by immigrants to individuals in Ireland. Also includes a small section of withdrawals from I. and E. Corderoy, London.