Occupy Boston Audre Lorde to Howard Zinn Library records
Scope and Contents
- Majority of material found within 2011-2012
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use Note:
- September 30, 2011
- Occupy Boston protestors establish camp in Dewey Square.
- October 10, 2011
- Police conduct a nighttime raid of the Occupy Boston camp, arresting 141 people.
- October 13, 2011
- Meeting of Boston Radical Reference Collective where it’s reported that John Ford (the owner of Metacomet Books) had set up a large library tent and stocked it with books that night (afterwards considered the first meeting of the A-Z Library).
- October 20, 2011
- After a discussion and vote, the library is officially named the Audre Lorde-Howard Zinn Library.
- November 15, 2011
- The National Lawyers Guild and the American Civil Liberties Union go to court on behalf of Occupy Boston regarding the right to peaceful protest and assembly, and request an injunction to prevent the removal of Occupy Boston protesters from Dewey Square.
- November 17, 2011
- The Superior Court Department of the Trial Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts orders the City of Boston to refrain from removing individuals and/or their belongings from Dewey Square; mediation and a hearing on the preliminary injunction set for December 1, 2011.
- November 29, 2011
- Declaration of Occupation officially adopted by the General Assembly at Occupy Boston.
- December 7, 2011
- After a hearing before the Honorable Frances McIntyre of the Superior Court, the temporary restraining order against City of Boston is vacated and the motion for a preliminary injunction denied. The A-Z Library collection is cataloged almost entirely in one night in preparation for a police raid.
- December 10, 2011
- Dewey Square camp is dissolved, but the General Assembly, working groups, and A-Z Library continue to meet in other locations.
2.30 cubic feet (3 containers, 3 flat file folders, 1 tube)
System of Arrangement:
Separated Materials Note:
- Finding Aid for the Occupy Boston Audre Lorde to Howard Zinn Library Records
- Finding aid prepared by Emily Mathay
- October, 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Description is in English
Part of the Northeastern University Archives and Special Collections Repository
92 Snell Library
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115 US