Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Frank Palmer Speare papers
Overview Frank Palmer Speare (FPS), the first president of Northeastern University (NU), was a leading figure in the field of education. During his 43 years at NU, the institution developed from a small school to one of the nation's largest private universities. FPS was born in Dorchester, Massachusetts on March 31, 1869. He graduated from Bridgewater State Teachers' College in 1889. From 1896 to 1916 he served as the Educational Director of the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA. In 1916 the...
Northeastern University Memorabilia
Overview This collection comprises artifacts that were either presented to or created by Northeastern University (NU), including items such as awards, flags, banners, medals, clothing, paperweights, coasters, pins, dishware, figurines, and jewelry. Some of the items have links to particular individuals or groups; others are representative of NU as a whole. Of special interest is a class sweater worn by a member of the Class of 1926. (The NU Photograph Collection contains photographs of a freshman class...
Northeastern University Photograph collection
Overview Northeastern University was founded in 1898 as a primarily commuter school with an all-male student body focusing on engineering and law programs. Since then, the University has expanded and now has six basic colleges, graduate and undergraduate programs in a wide variety of fields, and a diverse student body. The photographic collection reflects the history and development of the University from the early 1900s to the present day, including the expansion of Northeastern's physical plant and...
Dates: 1903-2009 (bulk 1950s-2009)
Oberg slide collection
Overview Doris Oberg attended many university functions with her husband, Rudolf O. Oberg, and took pictures. Rudolf Oberg was a member of Northeastern University Class of 1926. He was director of Alumni Affairs at Northeastern University for over 25 years and worked there for nearly 50 years. Rudolf Oberg died in 1973, and Doris Oberg died in March 1993.
Dates: ca. 1945-1973
Office of the President (Ell) records
Overview Carl Stephens Ell (CSE) was the second president of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. During his tenure as President, CSE was responsible for the accreditation of several of NU's academic programs and the rapid expansion of the physical plant. His other positions at NU included instructor at the Co-operative School of Engineering of the Boston YMCA (1910-1912), Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1912-1917), Assistant Dean of the School of Engineering (1914-1917), Dean of the...
Office of the President (Speare) records
Overview Frank Palmer Speare (FPS) was named the Educational Director of the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA in 1896. He transformed the loosely organized school into an institute for higher learning that eventually became Northeastern University (NU). He oversaw the launching of several of NU's early schools: the evening law school, the now-defunct automobile school, the evening polytechnic schools, the school of commerce and finance, and the co-operative engineering school. In 1916 the Evening...
School of Law records
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) School of Law is recognized for training attorneys to practice law in the public sector. Founded by the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) in 1898 as a series of evening courses, it was the first evening law program in Boston. In 1904, the program was incorporated as the Evening School of Law of the Boston YMCA with the power to grant the Bachelor of Law (LLB) degree. Its primary goal was to prepare students for the Massachusetts Bar Examination....
- Names: Speare, Frank Palmer, 1869-1954 X
- College presidents -- Massachusetts -- Boston 3
- Universities and colleges -- Administration 3
- College buildings -- Massachusetts -- Boston 2
- College presidents -- Inauguration 2
- Education, Cooperative 2
- Educational fund raising 2
- Class reunions 1
- College athletes -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- College campuses -- Massachusetts 1
- College publications -- Massachusetts 1
- College sports -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- College student newspapers and periodicals 1
- College trustees 1
- Commencement ceremonies -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Commencement ceremonies -- United States 1
- Education, Cooperative -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Educational fund raising -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Law schools 1
- Public interest law 1
- Student activities -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Student protesters -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Students -- Political activity -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Universities and colleges -- Employees 1
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty 1 ∧ less