Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview Northeastern University offers an undergraduate minor in Latino, Latin American and Caribbean Studies, an interdisciplinary course of study in history, music, political science, language, and sociology/anthropology. History 1537, "Latin American and the Caribbean in Boston," is one of five undergraduate history courses offered in the program. In 1998, the class was taught by Felix V. Matos Rodriguez, assistant professor of history, 1994-1999, and interim director of the Northeastern University...
Overview Wayne Anderson, a lecturer in the Northeastern University Department of History, introduced the oral history program as an independent study course at the graduate level in 1977. From 1977 to 1990, Anderson and his students participated in a variety of oral history projects, which generally focused on themes of regional interest. For example, between 1978 and 1990, projects included interviews with Massachusetts residents regarding the following topics: a race-related shooting within a...
Overview In the spring of 1998 and the spring of 1999, students in HST 4263, an oral history class offered by Northeastern University's University College, completed oral history projects as part of the course curriculum. Taught by Susan Keats, the course introduced students to oral history techniques such as planning, interviewing, auditing, editing, and transcribing. In 2003, University College stopped offering HST 4263. Oral history is now covered as a topic in Public History. Susan Keats received a...
Overview Gerald H. Herman, professor and administrator at Northeastern University, was born in 1944 in Brooklyn, New York. He received his Bachelor's degree in 1965 from Hunter College and his Master's degree in 1967 from Northeastern University, and was appointed to his first teaching position at Northeastern in 1967 as an instructor in the History Department. His focus as a historian has been modern and contemporary European cultural and intellectual history, focusing on the relationships between the...
Overview The University Honors Program was established on a university-wide basis in 1986 in order to attract and retain the brightest students to Northeastern University. Honors students take several honors courses and have access to cultural events, conferences, internships, and other opportunities. To receive the College Honors Project Distinction (upon completion of the project) or the University Honors Program Distinction (upon completion of the project and six honors courses, including one honors...
Dates: 1981-2006 (bulk 1997-2005)
Overview Beginning in the 1972-1973 academic year, Northeastern's history department offered a two-semester course in Western Civilization that surveyed the major ideas and institutions of Western Civilization from ancient times to the present. Faculty-prepared course note packets were compiled for each unit and included selections from primary and secondary sources, study questions, and summaries of major themes covered. These course packets were published by Northeastern beginning in 1972 and in...
- Names: Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Department of History X
- Civilization, Western -- Study and teaching (Higher) 2
- Massachusetts -- History, Local 2
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975 -- Veterans 2
- Brazilian Americans -- Massachusetts 1
- Collective bargaining -- College Teachers 1
- College radio stations -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- College students' writings, American -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Copyright 1
- Dominican Americans -- Massachusetts 1
- Educational technology -- Massachusetts 1
- Educational television -- Massachusetts 1
- Fishers -- New England 1
- Haitian Americans -- Massachusetts 1
- Hispanic American women -- Massachusetts -- Cambridge 1
- History -- Study and Teaching (Higher) 1
- Immigrants -- United States 1
- Lectures and lecturing -- History 1
- Microwave communication systems -- Massachusetts 1
- Missionaries -- China 1
- Neighborhoods -- Massachusetts -- Boston 1
- Nineteen sixties 1
- Oral history 1
- Puerto Ricans -- Massachusetts 1
- Radio programs, Musical 1
- School violence 1
- Shoe industry -- Massachusetts -- Lynn 1
- Telecommunication 1
- Television broadcasting -- Massachusetts 1
- Universities and colleges -- Administration 1
- Universities and colleges -- Curricula 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Veterans 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans 1 ∧ less