Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
Center for International Higher Education Documentation records
Overview The Center was established in 1976 to house the research files of Asa Knowles' International Encyclopedia of Higher Education. As part of the internationalization of Northeastern, it served as a hub for international activities, arranging conferences on global topics and hosting foreign visitors. The Center conducted research on topics such as the role of multinational corporations in foreign education, the status of women in academics, and an international survey of cooperative education...
Dates: 1966-1986 (bulk 1977-1985)
College of Criminal Justice records
Overview Northeastern University (NU) established the College of Criminal Justice (CCJ) in 1967 to provide professional training and support study and research in the administration of criminal justice. CCJ emerged from the University College's Department of Law Enforcement and Security, which was founded in 1961 and offered part-time baccalaureate and associate degree programs. Initially designed to prepare students for careers in law enforcement, CCJ's academic program has expanded to include course...
College of Engineering records
Overview The Northeastern University's (NU) College of Engineering was founded in 1909, when the Evening Institute of the Boston YMCA began to offer day courses in engineering. In 1920, the Massachusetts Legislature authorized NU to grant bachelor of engineering degrees in chemical, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering. Between 1939 and 1941, all programs gained accreditation by the Engineer's Council for Professional Development. By 1960, the College had become the largest undergraduate...
College of Nursing records
Overview The Northeastern University (NU) College of Nursing opened in 1964 with two programs: a three-year cooperative associate degree program and a five-year cooperative bachelor's degree program. The program was supported by Massachusetts General, Beth Israel, and Children's hospitals. The college's associate degree program was accredited in 1968 and the bachelor's degree program in 1972. Answering the demand for continuing education opportunities, the College of Nursing established a Licensed...
Department of Medical Laboratory Science records
Unprocessed — Multiple Containers
Division of Cooperative Education records
Overview In 1909, Northeastern University (NU) became the second college in the nation to adopt a cooperative plan of education. In that year the Boston YMCA Evening Institute opened its Cooperative Engineering School, offering daytime programs. The cooperative program was later adopted by the Day School of Business, and the program continued to grow as new units were founded with a cooperative component. By 1928, a separate Department of Cooperative Education was established. As interest in cooperative...
Office of the President (Ell) records
Overview Carl Stephens Ell (CSE) was the second president of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. During his tenure as President, CSE was responsible for the accreditation of several of NU's academic programs and the rapid expansion of the physical plant. His other positions at NU included instructor at the Co-operative School of Engineering of the Boston YMCA (1910-1912), Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1912-1917), Assistant Dean of the School of Engineering (1914-1917), Dean of the...
Office of the President (Knowles) records
Overview Asa Smallidge Knowles (ASK) was the third president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1959 to 1975. Under ASK's leadership, NU expanded its academic offerings, and all of its programs were accredited. Enrollment doubled, and the number of resident students increased dramatically. NU's physical plant grew to include five campuses, and its financial assets experienced significant growth. Between 1967 and 1972, NU faced various student protests concerning student rights, the Black Power...
Office of the President (Ryder) records
Overview Kenneth Gilmore Ryder (KGR), the fourth president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1975 to 1989, began his career at NU in 1949 as an instructor of history and government. He was promoted to assistant professor in 1953 and to associate professor in 1956. In 1957, KGR gave up his teaching responsibilities to assume a succession of administrative positions: Dean of Administration (1958-1966), Vice President of University Administration (1967-1970), and Executive Vice President (1971-1975). In...
Office of the Provost records
Unprocessed — Multiple Containers