Record Group Term
Found in 15 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is one of the Basic Day Colleges that makes up Northeastern University (NU). It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in the arts, humanities, social sciences, mathematics, and natural sciences. Headed by a dean, CAS is organized by academic department, interdisciplinary program, or center for specialized study. The dean has responsibility for managing educational policy, faculty issues, student services, and budgeting, and often delegates these...
Dates: 1924-2002 (bulk 1965-1992)
Overview Northeastern University was incorporated in 1916 as the Northeastern College of the Young Men's Christian Association. In its first two decades, at least two-thirds of Northeastern University's Corporation members were directors of the Greater Boston Y.M.C.A. The Board of Trustees of the Endowment Funds was established in 1924. In 1927, it became the Board of Trustees of the Permanent Funds, but disbanded in 1932. On January 22, 1937 the Corporation founded the Northeastern University Board of...
Overview The Division of Student Affairs was originally known as the Office of the Dean of Students. In the 1950s, the office comprised a dean of freshmen, dean of women, and dean of men. In 1970, the Office of Dean of Students was reorganized into the Division of Student Affairs, and many of the tasks that had originally been handled directly by the dean and his assistants were separated into departments that reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs. Among these services were counseling and...
Dates: 1933-2008 (bulk 1965-1985)
Overview Since its founding in 1896, Northeastern University has expanded its campus from a few buildings on Huntington Avenue to a sprawling campus. After initially renting space in the Botolph Building and the Boston Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA), the University built its first building, Richards Hall, in 1939, and continued to grow from there. A push towards building dormitory spaces in the 1960s helped to transform the University from a commuter college to a residential college. At the...
Dates: 1855-2006 (bulk 1955-1970)
Overview Northeastern University's Office of Planning was established in 1959. Since 1982 it has been known as the Office of Physical Planning and Design. The Office is concerned with the design and expansion of Northeastern University's physical campus and buildings, and space planning for educational programs. Prior to 1959, the Building Committee and other special committees of the Board of Trustees handled Northeastern University's physical expansion.
Dates: 1903-1997 (bulk 1960-1987)
Overview The Office of Financial Officer for Northeastern University was created in 1950. Lincoln C. Bateson, the first Financial Officer, was responsible for tuition, taxes, audits, budgets, and salaries. The position title was changed in the 1960s to Vice President-Finance. When Bateson retired in 1974, the two vice presidential posts were merged and Daniel J. Roberts became the joint Vice President-Business/Finance. In 1990, the Vice President-Finance position was seen as no longer necessary, so it...
Overview In the mid-1960s, Northeastern University (NU) president Asa Knowles initiated a major administrative reorganization, including a change in the by-laws to allow for more than one vice president. In September 1966, Knowles asked the Board of Trustees to approve the appointment of William C. White, then Vice President and Provost, to the position of Executive Vice President. The Office of Executive Vice President was not created to fill a particular administrative role. Subsequent executive vice...
Overview John A. Curry (JAC), the fifth president of NU from 1989 to 1996, was involved with NU as an alumnus and administrator for 25 years before his inauguration. During JAC's tenure as president, NU faced drastic budget cuts due to a dramatic decline in enrollment. He streamlined operations by laying off nearly 200 employees, creating a leaner upper administration, freezing wages and hiring, merging programs, restructuring debt, and creating revenue-generating initiatives, which enabled him to...
Dates: 1967-2002 (bulk 1989-1995)
Overview Carl Stephens Ell (CSE) was the second president of Northeastern University from 1940 to 1959. During his tenure as President, CSE was responsible for the accreditation of several of NU's academic programs and the rapid expansion of the physical plant. His other positions at NU included instructor at the Co-operative School of Engineering of the Boston YMCA (1910-1912), Head of the Department of Civil Engineering (1912-1917), Assistant Dean of the School of Engineering (1914-1917), Dean of the...
Overview Asa Smallidge Knowles (ASK) was the third president of Northeastern University (NU) from 1959 to 1975. Under ASK's leadership, NU expanded its academic offerings, and all of its programs were accredited. Enrollment doubled, and the number of resident students increased dramatically. NU's physical plant grew to include five campuses, and its financial assets experienced significant growth. Between 1967 and 1972, NU faced various student protests concerning student rights, the Black Power...