Record Group Term
Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:
Overview In 1943 Northeastern University enrolled women in its undergraduate day divisions for the first time. In May 1993 NU's Women's Studies Program and Office of University Relations organized events to celebrate the 33 women who enrolled in 1943 and honor all the undergraduate women of Northeastern. As part of Undergraduate Women at Northeastern University Month, the 50th Anniversary of Undergraduate Women celebration included three major events: a reunion for the women who enrolled in 1943, a...
Dates: 1943-1947; 1993
Overview The African American Master Artists-in-Residence Program (AAMARP) began in 1974 when Northeastern University provided studio space to artist Dana Chandler. Established officially in 1977, the program was the first African American artist-in-residence program in the United States, providing studio space on an annually renewable basis to visual artists. The first exhibition by African American Master Artists-in-Residence Program debuted at Boston City Hall in 1977. Between 1978 and 1988, the...
Dates: 1976-2003; Majority of material found within 1977-1988
Unprocessed — Box 1: [39358015475756,TRF119719813]
Overview On June 19, 1993 Northeastern University (NU) held its 91st commencement ceremony at the Boston Garden in the North End. The morning ceremony featured the recently inaugurated President William Jefferson Clinton (WJC) as the commencement speaker. WJC, who was the 42nd President of the United States (1993-2001), received an honorary Doctorate of Public Service at the ceremony. NU began courting WJC soon after his inauguration on January 20, 1993. Leading NU's efforts was Tom Keady, NU's...
Overview The Department of Afro-American Studies was created in 1973 by the College of Liberal Arts in response to the demands of Northeastern's African American students and a nation-wide trend towards the foundation of ethnic studies departments. During the 1970s, the Department worked to establish itself and appeal to a wide range of student interests by offering classes on the African American experience in literature, art, music, history, politics, and film. The Department worked co-operatively...
Overview The Northeastern University Department of Music began as part of the Department of Drama, Speech and Music in 1958 and became an independent department in 1966-1967. The music curriculum was originally a non-major program for professional musicians who desired theoretical training. In 1982, a BA in Music Literature became available. By 1989, the Department began collaborating with the New England Conservatory to offer a Music Industry major, and by 1992, music history courses were included in...
Overview The Division of Student Affairs was originally known as the Office of the Dean of Students. In the 1950s, the office comprised a dean of freshmen, dean of women, and dean of men. In 1970, the Office of Dean of Students was reorganized into the Division of Student Affairs, and many of the tasks that had originally been handled directly by the dean and his assistants were separated into departments that reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs. Among these services were counseling and...
Dates: 1933-2008; Majority of material found within 1965-1985
Overview Karen Feldscher received her Bachelor of Arts in English from Oberlin College. Later she went on to take courses at Northeastern University studying psychology, business, creative writing and HTML. Feldscher worked for over 26 years at Northeastern, beginning in 1984. Working as a senior writer, she edited a research journal at Northeastern, wrote for its alumni magazine and authored several annual reports. At one point she was the editor of The Voice, Northeastern University's in-house...
Overview In 1927, Northeastern University (NU) first adopted its mascot, a Siberian Husky named King Husky I. After King Husky I's death in 1941, Northeastern developed a 20-year relationship with Chinook Kennels in Wonalancet, New Hampshire, which provided the next seven mascots. In 1958, the kennel closed and the administration chose to commission a husky statue rather than continue the tradition of the live mascots. The statue was completed in 1962 by Anne Philbrick Hall, a sculpter under contract...
Overview During the 1970's, Northeastern University worked to make the University more a part of the international community. Many students held coop jobs in foreign countries and Northeastern University staff went abroad to recruit, teach or conduct research. In addition, Northeastern experienced an increase in international student enrollment. Because of the increasing number of international students, the Office of Student Affairs employed a Foreign Student Advisor and expanded services, the goal of...
Overview In 1967, the Marine Science Center, then the Marine Science Institute, was founded in order to provide space for master and doctoral level students and visiting scientists to conduct research in ocean chemistry, water quality, and pollution. The Marine Science Center (MSC), located in Nahant, opened on October 29, 1969 as the David F. and Edna F. Edwards Marine Science Laboratory. Renamed in 1982 as the Marine Science and Maritime Studies Center, MSC refocused on marine ecology, behavior,...
Dates: 1946-2006; Majority of material found within 1966-1993
Overview This collection comprises artifacts that were either presented to or created by Northeastern University (NU), including items such as awards, flags, banners, medals, clothing, paperweights, coasters, pins, dishware, figurines, and jewelry. Some of the items have links to particular individuals or groups; others are representative of NU as a whole. Of special interest is a class sweater worn by a member of the Class of 1926. (The NU Photograph Collection contains photographs of a freshman class...
Overview The collection consists of motion picture reels documenting life at Northeastern University. Included are films of the groundbreaking and construction of Richards Hall, Dodge Hall, Cabot Physical Education Center, Hayden Hall, Ell Student Center, and Churchill Hall. Also included are films of the naming of the Cabot and Ell buildings, President Knowles' inauguration, and President Ell's Alumni Testimonial Dinner. Each reel has been copied to VHS format. There are four master VHS copies for the...
Collection — Multiple Containers
Overview Northeastern University was founded in 1898 as a primarily commuter school with an all-male student body focusing on engineering and law programs. Since then, the University has expanded and now has six basic colleges, graduate and undergraduate programs in a wide variety of fields, and a diverse student body. The photographic collection reflects the history and development of the University from the early 1900s to the present day, including the expansion of Northeastern's physical plant and...
Dates: 1903-2009; Majority of material found within 1950s-2009
Overview In 1982, Vice President John A. Curry reorganized the existing Office of Community Development into the Office of Community Affairs. Placed under the direction of Joseph D. Warren, the Office of Community Affairs' primary mission was to respond to the concerns of Northeastern University's neighbors. Additionally, the office administered several community outreach programs, such as the annual Thanksgiving food and Christmas toy drives and a scholarship program for Boston Housing Authority...
Dates: 1967-1989; Majority of material found within 1982-1989
Overview The Office of Institutional Research and Data Administration collects data for and about Northeastern University. Overseen by the Office of the Provost, the statistics the Office compiles are used to analyze and improve the institution as a whole, in order to better benefit students, faculty, alumni, staff and the outside community. Prior to being called the Office of Institutional Research and Data Administration, or OIR, the Office went through several name changes. From the years 1959-1961,...
Overview Northeastern University's Office of Planning was established in 1959. Since 1982 it has been known as the Office of Physical Planning and Design. The Office is concerned with the design and expansion of Northeastern University's physical campus and buildings, and space planning for educational programs. Prior to 1959, the Building Committee and other special committees of the Board of Trustees handled Northeastern University's physical expansion.
Dates: 1903-1997; Majority of material found within 1960-1987
Unprocessed — Box 1: [39358015476887,TRF119701073]
Overview The Student Council was created in 1921 as a vehicle for student participation in University affairs. It originally comprised the officers of the senior and junior classes, and the members of the Student Activities Committee which was also created in 1921. In the 1960s, the Council became more active as a mediating body between students and University administration, and it was involved in student implementation of draft resistance counseling, dissemination of abortion and birth control...
Dates: 1940-2008; Majority of material found within 1980s-2000s