Record Group Term
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Overview In February 1969, Northeastern University's African American students submitted a proposal to establish the Afro-American Institute and a Black Studies Department. Students envisioned that the Afro-American Institute would provide an academic, cultural, and political base for black students on campus. Northeastern University's Board of Trustees approved setting up the Afro-American Institute in the Forsyth Annex and appointed Charles Turner director. At the Norfolk House in John Eliot Square,...
Overview The Boston School of Physical Education was founded in 1913. Co-founder Marjorie Bouvé became the first director. In 1925, citing differences with the corporation, Bouvé resigned from the Boston School of Physical Education and opened the Bouvé School, Incorporated. In 1930, the Boston School of Physical Education and the Bouvé School merged to form the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education with Marjorie Bouvé as the director. In 1930, the Bouvé-Boston School of Physical Education...
Dates: 1885-2011 (bulk 1925-1970)
Overview The Northeastern University Deaf Club existed in an unofficial capacity during the fall semester of 1990, and it became an officially recognized special interest organization in the spring semester of 1991. The mission of the Deaf Club was to provide support to deaf and hearing impaired students in their academic pursuits, promote awareness of the deaf community, help deaf and hearing impaired students acclimate to the Northeastern campus, and provide a social forum for deaf and hearing...
Overview Northeastern University's Office of Admissions formed in 1927 under director Milton John Schlagenhauf, replacing a Committee on Admissions. Enrollment increased drastically after World War II, from 3,623 students in 1944 to 10,671 in 1947, and it steadily increased each succeeding year. Northeastern University made a concerted effort to recruit students and provide scholarships to those who could not afford college. In 1960, an Associate Director of Admissions was hired in response to the...
Overview The collection consists of motion picture reels documenting life at Northeastern University. Included are films of the groundbreaking and construction of Richards Hall, Dodge Hall, Cabot Physical Education Center, Hayden Hall, Ell Student Center, and Churchill Hall. Also included are films of the naming of the Cabot and Ell buildings, President Knowles' inauguration, and President Ell's Alumni Testimonial Dinner. Each reel has been copied to VHS format. There are four master VHS copies for the...
Overview WRBB, Northeastern University's student radio station, was formed as WNEU in 1962 when a student group known as the Husky Hi-liters began broadcasting out of a small room in the basement of Ell Student Center. The Hi-liters were responsible for the University student broadcasting system which informed students of campus events and activities. In December 1962, the station began transmitting on AM radio, expanding its reach to include two dorms and other locations around campus. The following...
Dates: 1966-2006 (bulk 1996-2000)